Aligning textures to a cycle

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Barbie
Godlike

Aligning textures to a cycle

Post by Barbie »

How to align the Textures in the middle ring without spending hours? :???:
Fontain.jpg
Attachments
Fountain.unr
(144.08 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Buggie
Godlike

Re: Aligning textures to a cycle

Post by Buggie »

Easy. Ask someone else spent hours.
scr_1675287052.png
Fountain_.zip
(118.56 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

Thank you for the video. Your surface properties tab looks way different than mine.
I wish someone would create a button for (Align surface planar) like in UT4.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Yes. It is from upcoming v469d. You need wait release or be part of beta tester group.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Buggie wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:42 pm Easy.
Spitting.jpg
Spitting.jpg (15.74 KiB) Viewed 219 times
Whow, I need these two buttons!

Thanks. :gj:
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Berserker
Experienced

Post by Berserker »

Buggie wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:42 pm Easy.
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:12 am I wish someone would create a button for (Align surface planar) like in UT4.
Yeah, can we also get Planar Align Buggie? I believe It is also in UT2004 as an option called "Planar Walls", last time I checked, it worked pretty well.

It will align curved walls by making the texture "follow" the surfaces, as a result you will get something like this:
Visit us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/fcRakgNCjR Image
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

I suppose you mean "snake" align. And it is incredible complicated thing. Even if all selected surface horizontal. But they can be not. They can be triangled/ And there hard determine proper way for texture flow.
Berserker
Experienced

Post by Berserker »

Buggie wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:25 pm I suppose you mean "snake" align. And it is incredible complicated thing. Even if all selected surface horizontal. But they can be not. They can be triangled/ And there hard determine proper way for texture flow.
No, I did not mean snake align, this is different. Snake align is obviously better, but the method in UT2004 is different and a step back.

In this video I simply compare Wall Around X and Wall Around Y, which are already present in 469, but there is one more option missing which I show at the end of this video.

In UT2004 Planar Wall align basically takes Wall Around X and Y then splits it in the middle, which helps to align curved surfaces like these. It is smart enough to know the angle of the surface and determine where to use Wall around X and Y automatically, then it joins them together. Like I said snake align in theory is better, but UT2004's solution is also good and you can barely notice the texture stretching in the middle of the curve (texture stretching is definitely there if you look closer).

I also wonder if this option helps to align terrains better, where it automatically decides where to wall to X and Y based on angle curve of surfaces.
Visit us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/fcRakgNCjR Image