CTF Canyon Wars

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
browndl
Skilled

CTF Canyon Wars

Post by browndl »

Thought I would try making a asymmetrical CTF level.
Using my map DM-LongForgotten as a base, and then heavily modifying it, I present Canyon Wars.

UPDATED LINK: 9:55am Eastern US 3/3/2023. Updated link to Unreal Archive link

https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... 184c2.html

Lots of NEW stuff!
New areas
New routes
New lighting
New bot pathing

Shot00052 copy.jpg
Shot00051 copy.jpg
Shot00050 copy.jpg
Shot00048 copy.jpg
Shot00047 copy.jpg
Shot00045 copy.jpg
Shot00044 copy.jpg
Shot00043 copy.jpg
Shot00042 copy.jpg
Shot00041 copy.jpg
Last edited by browndl on Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
UT99 DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: CTF Canyon Wars

Post by OjitroC »

Nice idea this - really liked the DM version and played it a lot - the CTF version looks good especially with the new 'stuff' added :gj:

A few things to note :
Spoiler
Buggie's MapChecker reports :
MapChecker: Actor placed out of map:
MapChecker: ThighPads0
MapChecker: Teleporter without bNoDelete:
MapChecker: VisibleTeleporter0
MapChecker: VisibleTeleporter1
MapChecker: PathNode not used as in or out way:
MapChecker: PathNode94
MapChecker: PathNode182
MapChecker: PathNode too close:
MapChecker: PathNode312 InventorySpot86 65.907623
MapChecker: CTF map with unfair count AlternatePaths: Red = 6, Blue = 0
MapChecker: Red FlagBase with blue skin
MapChecker: FlagBase0 Team = 0 Skin = Botpack.Skins.JpflagB

Selktor's MapGarbage reports :
PotentialAITrap: PathNode128 has at least one path for reaching at it, but zero paths for going out.
NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot66 -> RocketPack5 is not having any incoming connection...

Note - PathNode128 just needs to be lowered a little to create connections with the nearest nodes in the network
Playing the DM version a lot I eventually noticed an area in the map where the ambient sounds had a 'weird effect' - hard to describe but a particular sound seemed to follow me over a large area. Anyway I traced it to an AmbientSound actor where the imported sound was in Stereo (I exported it and converted it to Mono, reimported it and everything was then fine). I forgot to report it at the time but was reminded of it now. I haven't played this version enough yet to see if that sound is still there - if it is, I will report it here.
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

OjitroC wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:51 pm Nice idea this - really liked the DM version and played it a lot - the CTF version looks good especially with the new 'stuff' added :gj:

A few things to note :
Spoiler
Buggie's MapChecker reports :
MapChecker: Actor placed out of map:
MapChecker: ThighPads0
MapChecker: Teleporter without bNoDelete:
MapChecker: VisibleTeleporter0
MapChecker: VisibleTeleporter1
MapChecker: PathNode not used as in or out way:
MapChecker: PathNode94
MapChecker: PathNode182
MapChecker: PathNode too close:
MapChecker: PathNode312 InventorySpot86 65.907623
MapChecker: CTF map with unfair count AlternatePaths: Red = 6, Blue = 0
MapChecker: Red FlagBase with blue skin
MapChecker: FlagBase0 Team = 0 Skin = Botpack.Skins.JpflagB

Selktor's MapGarbage reports :
PotentialAITrap: PathNode128 has at least one path for reaching at it, but zero paths for going out.
NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot66 -> RocketPack5 is not having any incoming connection...

Note - PathNode128 just needs to be lowered a little to create connections with the nearest nodes in the network
Playing the DM version a lot I eventually noticed an area in the map where the ambient sounds had a 'weird effect' - hard to describe but a particular sound seemed to follow me over a large area. Anyway I traced it to an AmbientSound actor where the imported sound was in Stereo (I exported it and converted it to Mono, reimported it and everything was then fine). I forgot to report it at the time but was reminded of it now. I haven't played this version enough yet to see if that sound is still there - if it is, I will report it here.
Thanks OjitroC, for taking the time to check it out. And for offering up these helpful comments. I appreciate it!
I found the out of map thighpads and moved them back in. I love how UeD just sometimes throws things out of the map :p
I dealt with the pathnode issues shown.
I honestly don't know what I am supposed to do with the teleporters...
Changed the flag color (Never knew you had to do that LOL.)

Pathnode 128 is strange as it shows green connector lines going both ways.
UT99 DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

browndl wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:28 pm I honestly don't know what I am supposed to do with the teleporters...

I'm no expert but I think the teleporters should have bNoDelete=True in AdvancedProperties (to ensure they work properly on-line).

Yes, I couldn't work out what was wrong with Pathnode128 at first, but clicking on it should show white arrows indicating the connections and, after a bit, I could see that there were no white arrows going from it though there were some going to it. Lowering it a bit ensures in and out connections.

I have located the Stereo sound - it's OneShot.Viper used in SpecialEvent0 and SpecialEvent4 - it's also 44100Hz which is OK but to be on the safe side reducing it to 22050 like the others would be better.
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

OjitroC wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:49 pm
browndl wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:28 pm I honestly don't know what I am supposed to do with the teleporters...

I'm no expert but I think the teleporters should have bNoDelete=True in AdvancedProperties (to ensure they work properly on-line).

Yes, I couldn't work out what was wrong with Pathnode128 at first, but clicking on it should show white arrows indicating the connections and, after a bit, I could see that there were no white arrows going from it though there were some going to it. Lowering it a bit ensures in and out connections.

I have located the Stereo sound - it's OneShot.Viper used in SpecialEvent0 and SpecialEvent4 - it's also 44100Hz which is OK but to be on the safe side reducing it to 22050 like the others would be better.
Fixed the sound effect. Changed to bNoDelete. Pathnode 128 should no longer be an issue.

Do you have any other suggestions or do you see any other issues?
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

browndl wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:59 pm Do you have any other suggestions or do you see any other issues?

Warning: Failed loading package: Can't find file for package DS_CanyonW :(
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

fudgonaut wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:10 pm
browndl wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:59 pm Do you have any other suggestions or do you see any other issues?

Warning: Failed loading package: Can't find file for package DS_CanyonW :(
DS_CanyonW is in the zip. It is the utx file. Maybe you put it in the wrong folder?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

No other issues, no - just wondered if the outside areas are just a little too bright? I suppose it comes down to individual choice to some extent and, of course, the need for a reasonable degree of visibility given the gametype and the size of the map - I reduced my normal brightness down to 0.5 as I thought that produced the optimum balance for me. Perhaps you have a recommended brightness level?
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

OjitroC wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:41 pm
No other issues, no - just wondered if the outside areas are just a little too bright? I suppose it comes down to individual choice to some extent and, of course, the need for a reasonable degree of visibility given the gametype and the size of the map - I reduced my normal brightness down to 0.5 as I thought that produced the optimum balance for me. Perhaps you have a recommended brightness level?
I also have mine set at 5. When I made the original DM-LongForgotten I did not realize I had my brightness set to 7 or 8 and when I put it back at 5 it was almost pitch black. I wish I could take that release back. I will go ahead and upload the modified file that includes the things you helped me with.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

These...

Code: Select all

BioAmmo3 is not having any incoming connection...
CTFReport: --- Reporting AlternatePaths setup: ---
CTFReport: For Team 0 = 6 pieces.
CTFReport: For Team 1 = 4 pieces.
can be solved easily, including nodes from ramps which might cause clumsy reactions.
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

sektor2111 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:22 am These... can be solved easily, including nodes from ramps which might cause clumsy reactions.
I appreciate the comment, but I don't know what this means...   
Auto merged new post submitted 2 hours 18 minutes later
sektor2111 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:22 am These...

Code: Select all

BioAmmo3 is not having any incoming connection...
CTFReport: --- Reporting AlternatePaths setup: ---
CTFReport: For Team 0 = 6 pieces.
CTFReport: For Team 1 = 4 pieces.
can be solved easily, including nodes from ramps which might cause clumsy reactions.
I pondered what you had said, and finally my timid brain understood. So I went back and ran the check map tool and then tried to fix everything it mentioned. The attached screen grab shows what is left.
Screenshot 2023-02-17 231313.jpg
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

browndl wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:25 pm DS_CanyonW is in the zip. It is the utx file. Maybe you put it in the wrong folder?
Weird. I uninstalled and reinstalled, and that fixed it.

For me the music didn't loop...? Which is a shame because it's perfect for the map
The sound effects, echoes... everything adds to the atsmosphere. Super creative
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

fudgonaut wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:25 am
browndl wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:25 pm DS_CanyonW is in the zip. It is the utx file. Maybe you put it in the wrong folder?
Weird. I uninstalled and reinstalled, and that fixed it.

For me the music didn't loop...? Which is a shame because it's perfect for the map
The sound effects, echoes... everything adds to the atsmosphere. Super creative
Strange, both about the textures and the music. Maybe you could redownload the map and install that. The music loops for me fine. I wonder if anyone else is having an issue with it also.
I appreciate your kind words. I too like the echo. I think the thing it is missing most are cowboy models and six shooters lol. I need to find some of the 'Badlands' mod files.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

browndl wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:13 am I appreciate the comment, but I don't know what this means...
This means a few points.
Nodes from ramps in original placement might cause behavior similar to CTF-Command - Blue base, the ramp for bringing Flag at home... and others having a similar format where mapper was writing "Bots have problems at..." - in fact these are entirely mapper's problems.
Next stuff...
BioAmmo3 is placed also in a ramp causing a fracture because it won't have incoming paths. However, it can be normal...
I used MapGarbage for all task - bPreNavAddHck and then bBuildNavNetwork.
Builder is launching a few commands in PRE-Pathing stage, causing narrow spots with Inventories to have a different format for connections. It uses Editor for pathing but after applying some tweaks there are chances to see things connected. I'll show you what is about... Give me a few minutes...

Edit: Back with screens.
Here is original with incomplete paths.
CW_Incomplete.PNG
And here is the same stage but connected.
CW_Normal.PNG
It's a similar stage to a recent DM map posted, but left as "final". Items in narrow spots and ramps are evil if you are not using external support. Yes, MapChecker is just checking several things but not pointing all missing paths.
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

Wow. A really awesome looking map! I love the aesthetics. Well done!

There's something that would make quite a big difference tho. The way one can reach the Skybox is a bit of an illusion-destroying factor. Wish you could fix that by adding mountains or sth. Or a fence.