GOTY New Install Windows 11

Discussions about UT99
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

GOTY New Install Windows 11

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

So due to my UT99 install seemingly being messed up with game crashes on multiple maps. Especially maps that have scoreboards or Scripted textures including dm-Morpheus. My current UT99 install has just been dragged and dropped from the original PC it was installed on in 1999 through 6 different computer builds to 2023. My current PC is running on W11 and I would like to do a fresh installation of the UT99 GOTY edition on my PC. When I hit install it goes through all the beginning prompts and I hit install. And nothing ever happens it just sits there doing nothing. Any help or tips and tricks to get my installation completed would be greatly appreciated.
ExpEM
Adept

Re: GOTY New Install Windows 11

Post by ExpEM »

Signature goes here.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Maybe set the compatibility mode?
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Delacroix
Adept
Personal rank: UMS R&D CEO

Post by Delacroix »

Or try a GOG installer version instead.
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

ExpEM wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:35 am viewtopic.php?t=12927
Yes, I have this post bookmarked it's for after you have the game installed and what you should do next. I having actual installation issues from the game disc it won't install.   
Auto merged new post submitted 52 minutes later
Barbie wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:16 am Maybe set the compatibility mode?
Yeah that's not working either. When I right click on the install file it doesn't give me the compatibility option. I'm really hating W11. I'm going to have to figure out how to turn my disc into a image file see if I can install it.
Delacroix
Adept
Personal rank: UMS R&D CEO

Post by Delacroix »

Hating W11? Then you're barking up the wrong tree. It's not W11 specifically that breaks your ability to install the game. Maybe settings such as DEP (Data Execution Prevention) that are known to cause problems with UE1 games are at fault but people have already solved these problems for themselves.

And if you need to "figure out" how to turn discs into image files, then maybe you should, well, download ready images. Or the aforementioned installer. You do own the game after all. Note that I am not bashing you for any holes in your knowledge. I am merely pointing out that there are way easier solutions. I am running both Unreal and Unreal Tournament on W11 without issue, same with multiple other people. It can be done. Trust me, this system isn't anywhere near as bad as you think.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Maybe install XP, Win7, Win10 (whatever) in a virtual machine, install UT there then and copy the installation folder to your Win11-
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

I have Win 11, and no issues with it.
Also...what folder are you installing to? Installing under root is mostly preferable, not under program files.
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

Delacroix wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:40 pm Hating W11? Then you're barking up the wrong tree. It's not W11 specifically that breaks your ability to install the game. Maybe settings such as DEP (Data Execution Prevention) that are known to cause problems with UE1 games are at fault but people have already solved these problems for themselves.

And if you need to "figure out" how to turn discs into image files, then maybe you should, well, download ready images. Or the aforementioned installer. You do own the game after all. Note that I am not bashing you for any holes in your knowledge. I am merely pointing out that there are way easier solutions. I am running both Unreal and Unreal Tournament on W11 without issue, same with multiple other people. It can be done. Trust me, this system isn't anywhere near as bad as you think.
W11 will not allow me to add UnrealTournament.exe or UnrealED.exe to the exclusion list. I have tried several times. I've tried to install it several times and It just sits there and does nothing. It created a Unreal Tournament folder and that is it. It wont go any futher in the instalation process. Could be the external shity DVD player I have, who knows I getting a new one tomorrow.
See screen shots of DEP if there is a work around for adding UT99 I would love to know.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Look, man. I get that you are probably trying to avoid sea sailing, but there are many alternatives to a successful UT installation. I find CD/DVDs are too much of a hassle these days, even iso images are preferrable. You would be done in a couple of minutes. :noidea
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

TankBeef wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:12 pm Look, man. I get that you are probably trying to avoid sea sailing, but there are many alternatives to a successful UT installation. I find CDs/DVDs are too much of a hassle these days, even iso images are preferable. You would be done in a couple of minutes. :noidea
The shitty cheap external DVD player I have wasn't working for the installation or anything else for that matter. I just got a new one that works fine game installed. I didn't have any software for creating an ISO, I do now if I ever need it.
Que
Inhuman
Personal rank: ...

Post by Que »

Now to reinstall all the drivers , patches , bonuspacks , mastervers.
Shouldn't take too long.

You going to update to 469c?
*Join our Discord Here.*
Our mods - MVX , SSB , SmartWFL , UTCmds , BotCommands , Smart Stats , join/leave announcer , NoSmoke , UTLogin , BrightSkins , Server Tran…
*Our Servers
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

Que wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:15 am Now to reinstall all the drivers , patches , bonuspacks , mastervers.
Shouldn't take too long.

You going to update to 469c?
:tu: I've already completed the installation of drivers , patches , bonuspacks , mastervers and 469C.