I know mirror bad

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

I know mirror bad

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

We all know mirrors are bad they create HOM's especially when a Fake Backdrop texture is involved. There are two issues here that I'm trying to resolve, Not sure if there is a fix.
Issues 1:
So when I play with D3D11Driver I do not see the HOM on the Mirror from the reflection of the fake backdrop. But the HOM is very prevalent when using the new OpenGL video driver, d3d9, and the rest. I only use D3D11 video driver when playing UT99. So do I care about the masses and what they see? It's a bathroom map it has to have a mirror in it just not sure if there is anything I can do to eliminate the HOM reflection with the other drivers. All of the brushes are aligned so it's not an alignment issue that I can see.

Issue 2: I can see my hidden elevator shaft that goes from the floor to the A/C Vent. The shaft is located behind the fake backdrop texture is there any surface properties I can set to eliminate the visibility of the hidden shaft without removing all of the lighting from inside the lift shaft?

I'm trying to get this map across the finish line before I release it to all of you for beta testing.

Buggie
Godlike

Re: I know mirror bad

Post by Buggie »

Basically mirror and skybox is same tech. They use virtual camera for draw things. So they usually conflict.

I can get you some info. It is not exact solution, but possible can be used for find some solution.

1. Meshes usually not rely on visibility zones, so they usually render, where happen HOM. You can't put on void some geometry or mover and expect it be visible, when front surface gone. It sometimes work, but usually it not work.
On build determined visibility one, all your stuff determine as no visible, and not render like it not exists at all.
But mesh not affected. It drawn even if placed in void.
So it good opportunity for use for mask simple HOM which not make holes, or where holes closed with BlockAll.
You just place Panel decoration, make it Draw DT_Normal, set texture, adjust DrawScale, set bUnlit, adjust ScaleGlow for match with light, and you good to go.
Sometimes find such mask really very hard. OFC need rotate it as need And place properly.
If hole no squared, or texture masked (intentionally or no), you can use few such "sprites" for cover HOM stuff.

2. When you deal with mirrors, you can make fake mirror, like it blurred. You place panel in forward, make it Modulated, and bMeshEnviroMap and set some texture like reflection.   
Auto merged new post submitted 15 minutes later
1. So you can try place some panels in void between skybox surface and shaft. It can be simple dark panel without bUnlit if this suit you.
2. You can remake window for make it with central column which hide central shaft.
3. You can make volume behind window. In this space all surfaces be skybox. Even which surround your shaft. In fact shaft goes inside pillar with skybox on all textures. Possible it goes better. OFC you need make glass or some hull for avoid reach this volume by players.
4. You can make mirror not mirror. Just EnvMapped bunch of panels.
5. You can make window blurred and done via EnvMapped, instead of skybox. Bathrooms often used blurred windows, instead of crystal clear.
6. You can place behind skybox window black panels in voids. So in reflection it gone. Or even make them with Unlit and env mapped, which can make it more interest in reflection, rather black square.
7. You can remake shaft. Make textures two sided, and on side which goes face to window, set skybox. Idk if this work. You still need mask skybox in shaft with some double wall.

Also ensure you use proper zones. Your shaft must be different zone. If it is not - make it. It can solve visibility problem, and HOM can be solved by 6.
_21
Average

Post by _21 »

1. You can bypass this limitation by making the sky-box as big as the map. Works on all renderers I tested.

2. You should NOT run the ventilation shaft in front of the window. You're going to ruin the view. You run it around or between windows.
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

@buggie thank you for the info I will see what I can figure out and what I think works best for me.
@_21 thank you for the info as well. #2 was already on my list of options.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I only ever used OopenGL, any D3D stuff looks artificial like a coloring book, too vivid, too bright while being too dark.

Waaaay back D3D ALWAYS till this day, makes me wait a long time if I ever have to alt tab from the game. 3 or four systems and vid cards, it always the same.

Plus other very annoying problems.

but OpenGl has a more smooth, easy on the eye, more gray-ish more natural look and blend on the colors and brightness of things.

In any case there is no reason a mirror won't work so long as it's small. I don't understand what you are doing with the skybox fake back drops, and mirror ?
Binary Space Partitioning
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

Red_Fist wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:52 pm I only ever used OopenGL, any D3D stuff looks artificial like a coloring book, too vivid, too bright while being too dark.

Waaaay back D3D ALWAYS till this day, makes me wait a long time if I ever have to alt tab from the game. 3 or four systems and vid cards, it always the same.

Plus other very annoying problems.

but OpenGl has a more smooth, easy on the eye, more gray-ish more natural look and blend on the colors and brightness of things.

In any case there is no reason a mirror won't work so long as it's small. I don't understand what you are doing with the skybox fake back drops, and mirror ?
So the map is a bathroom with a window in it which shows the skybox. The skybox reflects off of the mirror. With the OpenGL diver, I see a HOM off of the reflection of the sky box. It doesn't do it with the D3D11 driver. I'm the exact opposite I never use OpenGL drivers and only use D3D drivers.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Oh, so the fake back drop is being reflected off a mirror surface. ?

There is several versions of that openGl, I never known which is best. I used an earlier version he did because a newer one did something, long time ago.

But I never tried-tested all the versions from the guy who made all of them.

stuff i had, drivers.
Attachments
opnGls.zip
(479.42 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

Red_Fist wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:49 am Oh, so the fake back drop is being reflected off a mirror surface. ?

There is several versions of that openGl, I never known which is best. I used an earlier version he did because a newer one did something, long time ago.

But I never tried-tested all the versions from the guy who made all of them.

stuff i had, drivers.
That is correct. Here is a link to the latest OpenGL driver.
http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

"Latest" does not mean compatible, or looks good. (not GL drivers)

Correction, meaning directX is like latest for new video cards-hardware, then care less about anything that don't have those new features.

I wonder if anyone knows the difference between direct X, or OpenGL, OpenGL was invented for great looks software graphics for high end users like an architect so I thought. I also think DirectX was more for machine, sound, vid, "direct input" It's not bad, but for UT I never got it right.