What's available in the wonderful world of teleports?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

What's available in the wonderful world of teleports?

Post by EvilGrins »

To put it succinctly, I have never tried to "skin" a teleport and I don't know what all the options are for that sort of thing.

I tend to work multiple projects at a time, and as I've recently come back to this map again what I want to replace are, well, those bland not at all animated things.

Screenshots and suggestions, please. Anything has gotta be better than those~!
Attachments
Shot0034.png
Shot0034.png (258.1 KiB) Viewed 375 times
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: What's available in the wonderful world of teleports?

Post by Red_Fist »

The place to look is under "display" in the properties of an actor.

You will see "skin" and "texture" and "multiskins"

I think you have to use the "Texture" while using a Sprite.

If it's a mesh, then I think you use the "skin" property.
Binary Space Partitioning
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Very helpful, and not altogether different from skinning monsters... except for the sprite part.

Now onto the other thing, what other type of things are available to use as teleports?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Actually, in that map it is not the teleporter that is skinned but a texture is applied to a brush - the teleporter is placed immediately in front of the brush (and I presume the teleporter is set to bHidden=True, bHiddenEd=False). So you can apply whatever texture you want to that brush, keeping the same texture properties.

You could remove the brush (I think there are two teleporters, so 2 brushes) - you would then need to rebuild the geometry (hoping that it is sound and that no problems are created elsewhere by the rebuild process). You could then replace the Teleporters with VisibleTeleporters and skin those.

If you decide to alter those, do that before having the map pathed and the navigationpoint network built - also finalise the postions of all pickups regardless of type, prior to the pathing of the map.

If you look at the Actor Classes Teleporter and VisibleTeleporter, you will see that their default Display properties are different (the former is a Sprite whilst the latter is a Mesh).
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

I experienced that assigning another Texture to a moving Teleporter the Texture is not visible in online play under certain conditions.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Barbie wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:08 pm I experienced that assigning another Texture to a moving Teleporter the Texture is not visible in online play under certain conditions.
Missed bNoDelete on it. Also if it move or change state need set bAlwaysRelevant. And for destination point too.

About topic - can be placed any actor near. Deco like knife. Usually it better from mess with teleporter props.

Teleporter from upcoming map:
scr_1678818585.png
scr_1678818585.png (298.75 KiB) Viewed 287 times
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Right now I am using Ambient sound actors as sprites, no sound, but implanted the "texture" and it will show you the same thing you see in the texture browser and always facing you. So a square texture will just be a square on the ambient sound, for my borrowed sprite. You also need to go to the top property and make sure it isn't hidden.
The only thing for a teleporter would be like a masked glowing ball and translucent. Any other shape beyond a sphere, it will look like a texture just hanging out in space.

But a mesh already has all the textures mapped out, so anything else is just a cover-up and don't fit because you would have to remake a new mesh because the old mesh was imported with it's own textures as well, unlike texturing walls. So meshes suck !! LoLzz

You could try that water bubble skin on a sphere non solid brush, or another sphere mesh from the game, matter of fact I am using a moon, but they move rotate, and using a water skin set to translucent. But I think there is non moving sphere meshes to mess with for fun.

And also what others are saying, make it simple.
Binary Space Partitioning