DM-NBK-Master-Bath-Dx-Beta1 Release for testing

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

DM-NBK-Master-Bath-Dx-Beta1 Release for testing

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

Hello All,
Don't kick my ass too bad. My texture file for this map is ridiculously huge at 59,071 KB and the Map is 14,579 KB. Sorry. I have added 2 vehicles and UTJumpads from XVehiclesV55.zip so Not sure which files I need to send with my map. So I included the whole zip file within my map zip file. I want to make sure I thank a buggy for all of his help and the rest of the members of UT99.org that have given me help or advice since 2012. I have tested with both D3D11drv and OpenGL drivers. I prefer the DX11 driver because I like bright and shiny stuff. I'm sure this map is laggy as fuck for some people. But it looks the way I want it. If I could find a good tutorial for Blender that shows me how to texture and export to UT I could probably make some of my brushes way less complex and easier on the UT engine, but no such luck for me. I hate to ask people for help and find it hard to accomplish things I would like to do to make my maps better. So if you like, download and test the map and provide feedback. I have watched several matches with just the bots and they travel everywhere on the map. So some of the bots depending on location will march in place until they figure out what to do or get killed. We never used to worry about both pathing when we started to create Giant maps. Good luck I hope somebody enjoys it. Not really sure if I like the lighting yet and some of the texture placement is out of alignment, until I can find a texture tool that will align by planer like in UT5 I'm sick of trying to align textures. The download will be slow I think GoDaddy is throttling my hosting.
http://dxfxhouse.com/maps/DM-NBK-Master ... -Beta1.zip
Quick Note: 3 of the top vanity light bulbs are out of place. One of the towel texture "D" is backward at the Bidet. Several brick textures are out of place. Bath Tub is missing the faucet and handles.
Last edited by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx on Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: DM-NBK-Master-Bath-Dx-Beta1

Post by OjitroC »

Just had a quick look at it but .. I love it :tu:

Big fan of Giant maps - some random initial impressions

- like the design, layout, textures, etc;
- like the general ambiance and all the details, down to the marble bathroom fittings - create a real giant bathroom;
- like the use of the jump pads from XVehicles;
- not that keen on the weapons lockers (which I think are out of place in this kind of environment);
- perhaps think about giving the teleporters an effect that is in more in keeping with the overall design? (the basic teleporter texture stands out a bit).

So, yeah, pretty impressive - look forward to extended plays in the next few days.
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

OjitroC wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:57 pm Just had a quick look at it but .. I love it :tu:

Big fan of Giant maps - some random initial impressions

- like the design, layout, textures, etc;
- like the general ambiance and all the details, down to the marble bathroom fittings - create a real giant bathroom;
- like the use of the jump pads from XVehicles;
- not that keen on the weapons lockers (which I think are out of place in this kind of environment);
- perhaps think about giving the teleporters an effect that is in more in keeping with the overall design? (the basic teleporter texture stands out a bit).

So, yeah, pretty impressive - look forward to extended plays in the next few days.
Excellent thank you. I was struggling with Weapon placement and said eff it I'm putting in weapon lockers. I'm all down for the actual placement of weapons if you have suggestions. I assume you are referring to the Blue Visible teleporter texture standing out a bit? I can replace that with something cool I guess. Enjoy your play.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

One reason why some bots don't do very much is that there are 2 PlayerStarts without incoming or outgoing connections. It might be an idea to get hold of sektor's MapGarbage and Buggie's Mapchecker tools - there are threads for both of these on this fourum. Both tools are invaluable for giving insights on possible issues that may need to be addressed.

Here's what MapGarbage reports on the navigationpoints
Spoiler
BreakPointsFound: These 27 navigation points aren't that used as valid paths. They might be break points if are a piece of a road.

NoIncomingPath: VisibleTeleporter0 is not having incoming connections.
NoIncomingPath: PathNode137 is not having incoming connections.
NoIncomingPath: PathNode483 is not having incoming connections.
NoIncomingPath: PathNode20 is not having incoming connections.
NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot77 -> HealthVial13 is not having any incoming connection...
NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot129 -> UT_ShieldBelt1 is not having any incoming connection...
NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot143 -> HealthVial16 is not having any incoming connection...

UtterlyUseless: PlayerStart9 is not having any path defined.
UtterlyUseless: PlayerStart14 is not having any path defined.
UtterlyUseless: PathNode18 is not having any path defined.
UtterlyUseless: PathNode22 is not having any path defined.
UtterlyUseless: PathNode23 is not having any path defined.
UtterlyUseless: PatrolPoint3 is not having any path defined.
UtterlyUseless: PatrolPoint4 is not having any path defined.
UtterlyUseless: PatrolPoint5 is not having any path defined.
UtterlyUseless: PatrolPoint6 is not having any path defined.
UtterlyUseless: PathNode116 is not having any path defined.
UtterlyUseless: PathNode480 is not having any path defined.

Isolated: InventorySpot7 -> WarheadLauncher1 is not having any path defined...
Isolated: InventorySpot56 -> SuperShockRifle0 is not having any path defined...
Isolated: InventorySpot67 -> SniperRifle8 is not having any path defined...
Isolated: InventorySpot68 -> BulletBox23 is not having any path defined...
Isolated: InventorySpot69 -> BulletBox24 is not having any path defined...
Isolated: InventorySpot76 -> HealthVial12 is not having any path defined...
Isolated: InventorySpot90 -> HealthVial6 is not having any path defined...
Isolated: InventorySpot138 -> UDamage2 is not having any path defined...
Isolated: InventorySpot146 -> WarheadLauncher3 is not having any path defined...
Regarding weapon placement - one possible strategy is to place a weapon fairly near to each PlayerStart and then to distribute others near to objects like the remote or toiletries - having regard, of course, to the overall number of weapons you want to put in the map. It's not easy though given the scale of the map.

Given the low-gravity environment, I possibly wouldn't put the BioRifle in nor the Ripper as the projectiles tend to be affected, to a greater or lesser extent, by the low gravity. As a player, I think I would be looking to use the weapons with the longest range like the sniper rifle and shock rifle most of the time, taking out enemies from as far away as possible, and using the minigun, RL or flakcannon for shorter/medium range attacks.

I'm probably not the best person to advise on this as I now tend to use CounterStrike weapons in StuffSwapper most of the time and in this map I would spend most of my time sniping rather than gettng involved in closer combat.

The passageways up in the ceiling are interesting - just worked out that one can on top of the beam and fire down so one can command quite a wide area from there - nice idea that I didn't quite appreciate at first.

The amount of detail in the mapping is amazing - and so many places to explore, including locating the 2 XVehicles that add an interesting dimension to the map as a whole.

Just found the pop-up pictures of your dogs - a nice touch that.
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

OjitroC wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:00 pm One reason why some bots don't do very much is that there are 2 PlayerStarts without incoming or outgoing connections. It might be an idea to get hold of sektor's MapGarbage and Buggie's Mapchecker tools - there are threads for both of these on this fourum. Both tools are invaluable for giving insights on possible issues that may need to be addressed.

Here's what MapGarbage reports on the navigationpoints
Spoiler
BreakPointsFound: These 27 navigation points aren't that used as valid paths. They might be break points if are a piece of a road.

NoIncomingPath: VisibleTeleporter0 is not having incoming connections.
NoIncomingPath: PathNode137 is not having incoming connections.
NoIncomingPath: PathNode483 is not having incoming connections.
NoIncomingPath: PathNode20 is not having incoming connections.
NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot77 -> HealthVial13 is not having any incoming connection...
NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot129 -> UT_ShieldBelt1 is not having any incoming connection...
NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot143 -> HealthVial16 is not having any incoming connection...

UtterlyUseless: PlayerStart9 is not having any path defined.
UtterlyUseless: PlayerStart14 is not having any path defined.
UtterlyUseless: PathNode18 is not having any path defined.
UtterlyUseless: PathNode22 is not having any path defined.
UtterlyUseless: PathNode23 is not having any path defined.
UtterlyUseless: PatrolPoint3 is not having any path defined.
UtterlyUseless: PatrolPoint4 is not having any path defined.
UtterlyUseless: PatrolPoint5 is not having any path defined.
UtterlyUseless: PatrolPoint6 is not having any path defined.
UtterlyUseless: PathNode116 is not having any path defined.
UtterlyUseless: PathNode480 is not having any path defined.

Isolated: InventorySpot7 -> WarheadLauncher1 is not having any path defined...
Isolated: InventorySpot56 -> SuperShockRifle0 is not having any path defined...
Isolated: InventorySpot67 -> SniperRifle8 is not having any path defined...
Isolated: InventorySpot68 -> BulletBox23 is not having any path defined...
Isolated: InventorySpot69 -> BulletBox24 is not having any path defined...
Isolated: InventorySpot76 -> HealthVial12 is not having any path defined...
Isolated: InventorySpot90 -> HealthVial6 is not having any path defined...
Isolated: InventorySpot138 -> UDamage2 is not having any path defined...
Isolated: InventorySpot146 -> WarheadLauncher3 is not having any path defined...
Regarding weapon placement - one possible strategy is to place a weapon fairly near to each PlayerStart and then to distribute others near to objects like the remote or toiletries - having regard, of course, to the overall number of weapons you want to put in the map. It's not easy though given the scale of the map.

Given the low-gravity environment, I possibly wouldn't put the BioRifle in nor the Ripper as the projectiles tend to be affected, to a greater or lesser extent, by the low gravity. As a player, I think I would be looking to use the weapons with the longest range like the sniper rifle and shock rifle most of the time, taking out enemies from as far away as possible, and using the minigun, RL or flakcannon for shorter/medium range attacks.

I'm probably not the best person to advise on this as I now tend to use CounterStrike weapons in StuffSwapper most of the time and in this map I would spend most of my time sniping rather than gettng involved in closer combat.

The passageways up in the ceiling are interesting - just worked out that one can on top of the beam and fire down so one can command quite a wide area from there - nice idea that I didn't quite appreciate at first.

The amount of detail in the mapping is amazing - and so many places to explore, including locating the 2 XVehicles that add an interesting dimension to the map as a whole.

Just found the pop-up pictures of your dogs - a nice touch that.
Hello OjitroC,
I really appreciate you taking the time to go in and play the map and provide feedback. I use sector's MapGarbage and I did run mapGarbage prior to submitting. I only checked the ReachSpecs, void buggers, combo links, and duplicates. What check is that you ran? I cannot find anything in MG for NavigationPoints or BreakPoints. I could have missed it but checked several times. Keep in mind when you have a redeemer hidden in a toilet or an Audio Rack it's kind of out of reach from the bots. I can add a couple of combos or JumpPad for access. I can't believe I had three of the light bulbs out of place and the light trigger on the vanity moved somehow.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:42 am I use sector's MapGarbage and I did run mapGarbage prior to submitting. I only checked the ReachSpecs, void buggers, combo links, and duplicates. What check is that you ran? I cannot find anything in MG for NavigationPoints or BreakPoints. I could have missed it but checked several times. Keep in mind when you have a redeemer hidden in a toilet or an Audio Rack it's kind of out of reach from the bots. I can add a couple of combos or JumpPad for access. I can't believe I had three of the light bulbs out of place and the light trigger on the vanity moved somehow.
In a map I am checking or in a map that I have pathed using Buggie's PathsMaker tool, I run the 'pathing' checks in MapGarbage in the following rough order

bCheckNavChain [checks that the NavigationPointList is OK, that there is a single start point and a single end point - 'bad' chains will probably have several end points indicating possibly that the chain hasn't been rebuilt after moving inventory or add pathnodes]
bCheckItems [checks and adjusts inventory items - use with caution in this kind of map with narrow ledges - I have seen items moved off the ledge and thus in 'thin air']
bCheckItemPickup [reports whether all pickups can actually be picked up by bots]
bRepLostInvSpots [reports InventorySpots without the marked inventory item it should have - usually happens when inventory has been moved and the path network hasn't been rebuilt properly]

bCheckEndBreaks
bFindTrapPoints [will report mover and other combos amongst other things]

bCheckUnReachPaths [will report NavigationPoints are possibly too high for bots - you can run the 'fix' tool below this one and the bBotify but I would be cautious with this in this type of map]

bCheckNoPasses [checks incoming and outgoing connections - this is the check that reports the "BreakPointsFound']

So basically these checks report potential issues - the issues probably should be investigated but may not all need to be addressed and action taken.

You may decide that there is little point in pathing the redeemer in the Audio Rack - there are other redeemers in the map that the bots can easily get. Again it's probably not wothwhile pathing the redeemer in the toilet - the only issue with the toilet is that a bot may get in accidentally but won't, I think, get out again and will be out of the action unless it is killed when the trap is sprung.

Nearly forgot - perhaps you should add something like [Release for testing] to the thread title so that people release that there is a map to download and try out?
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

OjitroC wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:08 am
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:42 am I use sector's MapGarbage and I did run mapGarbage prior to submitting. I only checked the ReachSpecs, void buggers, combo links, and duplicates. What check is that you ran? I cannot find anything in MG for NavigationPoints or BreakPoints. I could have missed it but checked several times. Keep in mind when you have a redeemer hidden in a toilet or an Audio Rack it's kind of out of reach from the bots. I can add a couple of combos or JumpPad for access. I can't believe I had three of the light bulbs out of place and the light trigger on the vanity moved somehow.
In a map I am checking or in a map that I have pathed using Buggie's PathsMaker tool, I run the 'pathing' checks in MapGarbage in the following rough order

bCheckNavChain [checks that the NavigationPointList is OK, that there is a single start point and a single end point - 'bad' chains will probably have several end points indicating possibly that the chain hasn't been rebuilt after moving inventory or add pathnodes]
bCheckItems [checks and adjusts inventory items - use with caution in this kind of map with narrow ledges - I have seen items moved off the ledge and thus in 'thin air']
bCheckItemPickup [reports whether all pickups can actually be picked up by bots]
bRepLostInvSpots [reports InventorySpots without the marked inventory item it should have - usually happens when inventory has been moved and the path network hasn't been rebuilt properly]

bCheckEndBreaks
bFindTrapPoints [will report mover and other combos amongst other things]

bCheckUnReachPaths [will report NavigationPoints are possibly too high for bots - you can run the 'fix' tool below this one and the bBotify but I would be cautious with this in this type of map]

bCheckNoPasses [checks incoming and outgoing connections - this is the check that reports the "BreakPointsFound']

So basically these checks report potential issues - the issues probably should be investigated but may not all need to be addressed and action taken.

You may decide that there is little point in pathing the redeemer in the Audio Rack - there are other redeemers in the map that the bots can easily get. Again it's probably not wothwhile pathing the redeemer in the toilet - the only issue with the toilet is that a bot may get in accidentally but won't, I think, get out again and will be out of the action unless it is killed when the trap is sprung.

Nearly forgot - perhaps you should add something like [Release for testing] to the thread title so that people release that there is a map to download and try out?
I'll run through the checks you have listed above. I will also download Buggie's PathsMaker tool and see what it has to say. I have deleted most of the issue items you listed in your previous post. There will be areas and pick ups the bots can't get. But the player start on the doorway the bots go right the edge and jump off to the Tonal and get the Shield belt. I have seen them climb out the other arm of the Tonal and jump to the Super Shock which is what I was trying to achieve. The player start on the window seal the bots follow the path hit the jumpPads around the towel bars and pick up the Invisibility and hit the top of the vanity. So I'm happy with most of the pathing. If you run 16 bots at or above adept they traverse the map fairly well.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:13 pm I will also download Buggie's PathsMaker tool and see what it has to say.
Buggie's PathsMaker adds PathNodes to maps - so although it may be useful for you in future, you won't need it for this map.

The tools to get are
MapChecker - from Buggie - runs a series of checks on a wide range of 'things' - there's a thread for it on the forum in which the items checked are set out;

and

PathsChecker - from sektor - in a thread on this forum. Checks whether inventory items (and other stuff like Flags, etc) can be reached from each PlayerStart (with an option to run a more detailed but resource-intensive check that scans the same thing but from each NavigationPoint).

Both tools point to potential issues that need to be investigated but may not need any action.

There's also Buggie's PathsDebug that shows the path between two selected actors.
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:13 pm The player start on the window seal the bots follow the path hit the jumpPads around the towel bars and pick up the Invisibility and hit the top of the vanity. So I'm happy with most of the pathing. If you run 16 bots at or above adept they traverse the map fairly well.
That's the most important thing - that you are happy with the way the bots navigate the map and pick up items.
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Re: DM-NBK-Master-Bath-Dx-Beta1 Release for testing

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

Well here is a video of the bots doing their thing. I have used map checker and have fixed all issues that can be fixed. I will be releasing the map in its updated state. I don't think it will be a big deal anyways since only OjitroC is responding to my post. Again I appreciate everyone that has given me help on this forum.
https://youtu.be/ykwo95a32nk
Map Download link updated in OP for latest version of the map.