help?

Discussions about UT99
y2keeth
Novice
Personal rank: translocator

help?

Post by y2keeth »

I am very new to modding unreal trying to get started
just want to make a mod that changes the default texture folder for 2 unreal engine 1 games ut for one

can some one point me in the right direction?
Barbie
Godlike

Re: help?

Post by Barbie »

UnrealTournament.ini > [Core.System] > Paths
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
y2keeth
Novice

Post by y2keeth »

can i do that as a MOD THO?   
Auto merged new post submitted 1 minute later
Barbie wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:21 pm UnrealTournament.ini > [Core.System] > Paths
thanks but can i do that as a mod?
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Oh, I thought you just want to change that. IDK if that is accessible via UScript (what is used in a mod). Maybe the installer in UMOD format can change this.

May I ask why you want to do such?
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
y2keeth
Novice

Post by y2keeth »

Barbie wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:06 pm Oh, I thought you just want to change that. IDK if that is accessible via UScript (what is used in a mod). Maybe the installer in UMOD format can change this.

May I ask why you want to do such?
I have a texture mod using the DirectX11 Renderer version 1.6.2 from darknovismc
and others have made dds textures for it I am using pngs but the engine will prioritize the dds over the png so want to have my own texture folder to avoid that on undying and want to do ut the same way
https://www.moddb.com/mods/clive-barkers-undying-hidef

also i am totally clueless how to mod unreal but I am good with idtech
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

IMO you don't need to change the default Texture folder if you just add your Texture folder to "Paths". For example my path definitions are
Spoiler
UnrealTournament.ini>[Core.System] wrote:Paths=../System/*.u
Paths=../Maps/*.unr
Paths=../Textures/*.utx
Paths=../Sounds/*.uax
Paths=../Music/*.umx
Paths=../System/3rd/*.u
Paths=../Maps/3rd/*.unr
Paths=../Textures/3rd/*.utx
Paths=../Sounds/3rd/*.uax
Paths=../Music/3rd/*.umx
To have stock files separated from 3rd party files I put stock files into ../Textures/ and all other into ../Textures/3rd/.
So my advice is that you add a subfolder to the default Texture folder.

Are you going to publish that or is that just for your personal use?
y2keeth
Novice

Post by y2keeth »

Barbie wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:03 am IMO you don't need to change the default Texture folder if you just add your Texture folder to "Paths". For example my path definitions are
Spoiler
UnrealTournament.ini>[Core.System] wrote:Paths=../System/*.u
Paths=../Maps/*.unr
Paths=../Textures/*.utx
Paths=../Sounds/*.uax
Paths=../Music/*.umx
Paths=../System/3rd/*.u
Paths=../Maps/3rd/*.unr
Paths=../Textures/3rd/*.utx
Paths=../Sounds/3rd/*.uax
Paths=../Music/3rd/*.umx
To have stock files separated from 3rd party files I put stock files into ../Textures/ and all other into ../Textures/3rd/.
So my advice is that you add a subfolder to the default Texture folder.

Are you going to publish that or is that just for your personal use?
not using utx tho I may after
yes want to publish I always do https://www.moddb.com/members/y2keeth/mods

do you know of a real basic modding tutorial for ut ?
y2keeth
Novice

Post by y2keeth »

after thinking about it utx is probably the best route to go lol
I need to stop trying to prove darknovismc wrong on the pngs lol
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

UT uses "UTX" files for images, not "PNG". PNG can be IMPORTED only by latest patches (469...) in order to gain "UTX" files. I don't get where did you have from the information about using PNG in UT. Old original versions don't have anything to do with these formats.
y2keeth
Novice

Post by y2keeth »

sektor2111 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:16 am UT uses "UTX" files for images, not "PNG". PNG can be IMPORTED only by latest patches (469...) in order to gain "UTX" files. I don't get where did you have from the information about using PNG in UT. Old original versions don't have anything to do with these formats.
the pngs was for the DirectX11 Renderer version 1.6.2 from darknovismc, utx will work with everything so better idea
also I have no idea about ut trying to learn it
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Point me a MAP with Textures using "PNG" format as dependency...
DirectX11 and all those things are a support for rendering, but images/resources used when game is running are based on internal format which is UTX from 1 January to 31 December.
Other guy said that a SplashLogo mod was bugged because he could not use a "jpg" as server-logo. UT mods are NOT using anything else than UTX files and resolution of these Textures/Images are a power of two: 512 × 256, 32 × 64, 256 × 256 and nothing else.
y2keeth
Novice

Post by y2keeth »

sektor2111 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:15 am Point me a MAP with Textures using "PNG" format as dependency...
DirectX11 and all those things are a support for rendering, but images/resources used when game is running are based on internal format which is UTX from 1 January to 31 December.
Other guy said that a SplashLogo mod was bugged because he could not use a "jpg" as server-logo. UT mods are NOT using anything else than UTX files and resolution of these Textures/Images are a power of two: 512 × 256, 32 × 64, 256 × 256 and nothing else.
here is my undying mod using that same renderer using .png, not ut but unreal engine 1 as well
https://www.moddb.com/mods/clive-barkers-undying-hidef

same thing i wanted to do to ut