CTF-FloridaSharkAttack II

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
jmartin
Skilled

CTF-FloridaSharkAttack II

Post by jmartin »

This map is dedicated to Britton Wesley, author of the original "Florida Shark Attack" , a fun completely unorthodox map that just made me smile the moment I first saw it.

This is an entirely new map made from scratch which retains a certain slightly skewed reference to the original.

Happy summer.
Attachments
CTF-FloridaSharkAttack2.zip
(4.88 MiB) Downloaded 18 times
Shot0240.jpg
Last edited by jmartin on Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: CTF-FloridaSharkAttack II

Post by EvilGrins »

Overall nice setup for CTF, although there's some pathing issues for bots.

Sharks could use some more health, they die too easily.
Attachments
Shot0015.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:43 am Overall nice setup for CTF, although there's some pathing issues for bots.
If we talk about CTF known as "Capture The Flag", I'll show you something... relevant... perhaps you'll understand what is about.
SharkButNoFlag_lol.PNG
Eh... also... do you remember the story with nodes concerning water ? :sleep:
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

Also, the submarine and sail textures are not masked, looks a little weird

But I love the vibe of this map :thuup:
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

sektor2111 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:50 pmIf we talk about CTF known as "Capture The Flag", I'll show you something... relevant... perhaps you'll understand what is about.

Eh... also... do you remember the story with nodes concerning water?
True, but it's twofold here:
· Behind each flag is a space for an underground tunnel, which others have pathed successfully before... but more of an issue as when bots get in there they can't currently get out.
· Pathing need not goto swimming from one island to the next, if bots could get on the para-sails and surf across. Think of it like a lift but going sideways.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:12 pm
sektor2111 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:50 pmIf we talk about CTF known as "Capture The Flag", I'll show you something... relevant... perhaps you'll understand what is about.

Eh... also... do you remember the story with nodes concerning water?
True, but it's twofold here:
· Behind each flag is a space for an underground tunnel, which others have pathed successfully before... but more of an issue as when bots get in there they can't currently get out.
· Pathing need not goto swimming from one island to the next, if bots could get on the para-sails and surf across. Think of it like a lift but going sideways.
Notwithstanding all that, sektor has pointed to the most significant issue - there is no path to that flag.

So if the rest of the pathing is fine, the bots are still not going to be able to Capture The Flag.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:33 pmSo if the rest of the pathing is fine...
...it isn't, though.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

It's not...
In the same image from my post above there is a HOLE (each base has one) with water, look what is connected and how... the others from lake might work only based on LUCK not based on logic movement (SWIMMING), they are above water not IN water... Water paths are logically IN WATER not in air - Bot is not a plane unless you have some nightmare...
Let me try a memory refresh, some old CTF map was having the same hole around Flags, in one base Bot could be easily killed while was trying forever to reach at a node higher than water surface - it's annoying to see what Bot does there... I'll post name when I'll recall it... not sure if it worth attention...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I know it's not fine - read what I wrote as "even if the rest of the pathing were fine ..." meaning that even if the other issues were addressed, the flag still wouldn't be taken because there is no path to it. That's what I meant when I wrote "notwithstanding all that" - in essence, meaning "taking account of and addressing all that ...".
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Keep in mind that not every single issue reported by checkers is the only issue. Map's Run-Time can show up more... because of "physics"...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Nice idea, lots of interesting little details - great atmosphere :tu:

Just need to address the masking and pathing issues plus, as EG says, give the 'sharks' more health (and more agression/speed?).
jmartin
Skilled

Post by jmartin »

Thanks so much for the QC.

Masking on the sail boards and submarine work fine on my vanilla 432. To insure backward compatibility, I don't use any patched or modded versions of UT when making maps, so some results may vary?

Yes, I tried making the sail boards LiftCenters. They didn't work well so I just deleted them. I basically just wanted the bots to be able to reliably swim on their own, which is why the islands are closer together than in the original.

Just getting the bots to swim through the under-water tunnels at all with scuba gear was the main time consuming priority with this map.

Sometimes the just camp.

Sometimes they swim if you lead them.

Sometimes they swim on their own.

I may re-address this issue as apparently they still think the pool is a Jacuzzi. :D
Attachments
FSAIIMask02.jpg
FSAIIMask01.jpg
FSAIIPaths02.jpg
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Those textures were masked "LATER" not during importing.... and then, D3D9 in 436/440 shows them with BLACK. All these Textures supposed to work masked it is advisable to be masked right from the start and not just loaded because old renders are bugged and shows them well ignoring flag definition.
WRONG Import anyway
WRONG Import anyway
LiftCenter is NEVER connecting to a PathNode, only to LiftExit-s... I doubt that they won't work if are properly set, and PathNodes placed normally according to their purpose and not how Editor is dictating their placement...
Letylove49
Adept

Post by Letylove49 »

the original map : CTF-FloridaSharkAttack is on my server

Letylove49 aka Alicia
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Good luck then... If this would be a master piece planed for a server which I maintain, it won't be there until texture file will be normal and conformed to original.
I did some experiment here and everything can look normal if all is being made normal and all renders will show map normal. And yes, it looks fine with Textures originally made 256 colors.