[Solved] UnrealTournament and TUF GAMING Monitor (Curve monitor)

Discussions about UT99
Ubir4
Adept

[Solved] UnrealTournament and TUF GAMING Monitor (Curve monitor)

Post by Ubir4 »

Anyone know how stop this mutant shadows?
Last edited by Ubir4 on Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Re: UnrealTournament and TUF GAMING Monitor (Curve monitor)

Post by esnesi »

Does it make a difference when you change renderer?
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

Can't see anything in the video, also if it's the monitor we obviously can't see it through a video unless you capture it with a camera. I think what you are experiencing is ghosting, some monitors like mine for example have a setting called trace free which you can adjust to reduce it at the cost of more motion blur.

Example video:

Useful website tool: https://www.testufo.com/
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

TUF gaming monitor is very broad and is one of Asus' brand names for monitors. Would be good to know the full monitor name and which panel type the monitor has. I suspect you're using a VA type panel in your monitor, which are prone to the ghosting effect, not just in UT but in basically every game. As UT Sniper's said, would have to see a video displaying the monitor itself showing the ghosting effect. Ufotest is reliable in showcasing this when you're testing a monitor. Backlightbleeding can be easily verified with a black screen.
While they usually have great colors compared to most other panels they are very slow when they have to refresh pictures very fast.
Personally using a ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ1A (so... same brand) but it has an IPS panel which is much faster in their response time to display things, so less ghosting, while having more backlight bleeding - I was testing 4 different monitors, 2 of which were the VG27AQ1A before keeping one earlier this year.
Ubir4
Adept

Post by Ubir4 »

esnesi wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:35 pm Does it make a difference when you change renderer?
No. I used my AORUS laptop as a test, and I plugged an hdmi cable into the ASUS TUF.... No smudges on the laptop, now on the monitor... brand new,... pff shit

TUF GAMING VG32VQ

Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

It's a VA type panel. While they *can* have fast response times VA panels typically are not gaming monitors even if advertised as such. The time necessary for the panel to switch pixels is what you perceive as ghosting.
If you can you probably want to return the monitor and specifically look for one with an IPS panel which usually have a good compromise between response times, ghosting and backlight bleed.
Personally using a ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ1A since January and it's good, especially given how cheap it was. A lot of people give their recommendations on the LG GP 850b or its successor, the 950b, all of which have almost similar tech specs as the one of you purchased, + the better panels for gaming.

Just make sure you get the chance to see a black lit screen via picture or yt video to make sure it has manageable backlight bleeding, the achilles heel of IPS panels. All have it but severity varies by production and cost, two of the same monitor can have very different results here.
Eternity
Skilled

Post by Eternity »

Ubir4 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:09 pm Anyone know how stop this mutant shadows?
It is not even the worst case, like that with disappearing stars on a black sky...
In some cases increased Black Level value partially fixes this problem, but not every monitor has such setting available.

This panel type is only acceptable if most part of the time it is used for office work with static data, where screen size, black level and contrast ratio is a priority.
It makes too much pain if used for games, need much time to get used...
Ubir4
Adept

Post by Ubir4 »

Eternity wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:49 am
Ubir4 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:09 pm Anyone know how stop this mutant shadows?
It is not even the worst case, like that with disappearing stars on a black sky...
In some cases increased Black Level value partially fixes this problem, but not every monitor has such setting available.

This panel type is only acceptable if most part of the time it is used for office work with static data, where screen size, black level and contrast ratio is a priority.
It makes too much pain if used for games, need much time to get used...
Wow Thank's I believe you saved me.

Solved!

I was going to post a video. But Fraps demonstrates almost equal to 1o. video. So I just thank you here for the help on the black ones. I tweaked that part and it turned out just as good as my other 24oHz without ghosting.