UnrealEd keeps "crashing" sort of.

Discussions about UT99
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: UnrealEd keeps "crashing" sort of.

Post by OjitroC »

I don't have a Windows OS so I can't really 'read' that dmp file. There are Windows tools around that will/should analyse that file for you.

You have checked any log files for your malware and antivirus to make sure that neither of those is preventing a file required by UEd from running?

Your Unreal Anthology and UT installations are entirely separate and don't share any common folders/files?
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Suggestions:
  1. deactivate your anti virus software and try again
  2. have a look at the windows events: start the EventViewer (%windir%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s) and have a look at "Administrative Events" (or similar, IDK the exact English caption)
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:24 pmI don't have a Windows OS so I can't really 'read' that dmp file. There are Windows tools around that will/should analyse that file for you.
Sadly I don't know which ones those are as I've never had this issue before.
OjitroC wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:24 pmYou have checked any log files for your malware and antivirus to make sure that neither of those is preventing a file required by UEd from running?
I've been going through them, but that hasn't helped. I think something that exists outside of UT is causing the issue, as the program I use to convert graphics is also having issues and it has nothing to do with UT.
OjitroC wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:24 pmYour Unreal Anthology and UT installations are entirely separate and don't share any common folders/files?
Totally separate, other than being on the same drive. Usually when I make something new to test I do it in the older directory, having made it with stuff in the newer one.
Attachments
UTdirectories.png
UTdirectories.png (3.31 KiB) Viewed 463 times
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:42 pm I've been going through them, but that hasn't helped. I think something that exists outside of UT is causing the issue, as the program I use to convert graphics is also having issues and it has nothing to do with UT.
From what you have said, I would suspect that that is the case. Try the steps Barbie has suggested as it could be something to do with the antivirus or malware programs. The Event Viewer should tell you what happens when you try to run UEd or your graphics program.

I presume your Windows has DEP (about which I know nothing not having Windows) but you should be able to find it and see if UnrealEditor and your graphics program are allowed by it.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Barbie wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:50 pm Suggestions:
  1. deactivate your anti virus software and try again
  2. have a look at the windows events: start the EventViewer (%windir%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s) and have a look at "Administrative Events" (or similar, IDK the exact English caption)
Okay, but not sure what this means:
Faulting application name: UnrealEd.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x39f65801
Faulting module name: Fire.DLL, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x39f65763
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x00015dc0
Faulting process id: 0x6174
Faulting application start time: 0x01d97657e48cd03a
Faulting application path: D:\Unreal Anthology\UnrealTournament\System\UnrealEd.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Unreal Anthology\UnrealTournament\System\Fire.DLL
Report Id: ce5e4801-cdfa-43e1-9152-d64f140d7da0
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Attachments
agaClip0001.png
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

About this code: https://superuser.com/questions/869526/ ... 0041d-mean

Also such thing can be caused by MS update: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... 04ff74a2f3

Try update to v469b or v469c. Possible it can solve your problem.

Possible your system somehow updated and not able handle v436 by some reason anymore.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Buggie wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:59 amTry update to v469b or v469c. Possible it can solve your problem.
Nope, the patch disables UTDM-monsters for team games and I've got like 300+ maps of that.

I'm not getting that patch until they correct that issue.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

What about with a second, clean UT installation to see if this error occurs there also?
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

EvilGrins wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:56 am Nope, the patch disables UTDM-monsters for team games and I've got like 300+ maps of that.
As workaround you can use mutator which we already discussed.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

The curious thing is that the faulting module is Fire.dll which, of course, is also required for UT to run - so it works OK in UT but not when loading UEd.

The only thing I can suggest is to 'undo' the latest OS update and then to turn off automatic updates.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

AFAIK Fire.dll used for render FractalTextures - animated textures, with water, fire and other effects.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Barbie wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:48 amWhat about with a second, clean UT installation to see if this error occurs there also?
Thought of that, and may try it in a few days when I get back home (family stuff) but if the issue has to do with something external to UT that may prove pointless.

Although, it would be a 3rd install as i've already got 2.
Buggie wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:27 amAs workaround you can use mutator which we already discussed.
It's not the same thing, and a workaround shouldn't be necessary.

At most it's useful to anyone else if I share those maps with others but I'm not using something extra to correct a problem that a patch I don't have caused.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

You could try 469c simply for the Editor?

Copy your 436 folder and install 469c there - then you will have your two existing UT installations plus the new 469c one where you can try the Editor. If it doesn't work and is affected by the same issue as your other two Editors then you can simply delete it. At least it may hopefully give you a working Editor.

You can also raise the issue with Microsoft Support as it seems reasonably likely that the issue stems from a recent OS update.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

OjitroC wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:17 pm You can also raise the issue with Microsoft Support
:loool: :lol2: :tongue: