Botpathing request thread

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Buggie
Godlike

Re: Botpathing request thread

Post by Buggie »

Gadavre wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:05 pm I learn how to fix maps ... I have to add the pathnodes or move them to new positions..On many maps, bots are weak and can't get to many important places. If I don't use rebuild ai paths (paths define), the map with bots won't launch, there will be an error.
I talk about additional step after you rebuilt paths. After this step rebuilt paths not need.
Before - need, if change them.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

BotPathing request thread.
Post those maps with problems and let's see what can be done.
Gadavre
Skilled

Post by Gadavre »

There is a small problem for the excellent DM-Morpheus from the game. There is a road at the bottom and the Kicker actor is located on it. The bot cannot safely leave this road. The actor throws it up, but the bot hits its head on a beam and flies into the abyss... I couldn't configure the properties of this actor. Help please
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Kicker is bad for bots. They have no idea about it. So this is not a part of paths. So they never consider travel here. They can step on it only accidentally, or if you place on same spot something like LiftExit-LifCenter-LiftExit.
In general for bots, better use something like swJumpPads or similar things.
Gadavre
Skilled

Post by Gadavre »

Buggie wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:25 am In general for bots, better use something like swJumpPads or similar things.
To fix the original maps, I wouldn't want to use new actors for the map. It will be noticeable.

The stupid death problem with bots is solved...In the original game, the player's victory on this map was not fair. Now it will be more difficult to defeat them on this map. As I understand it this actor Kicker has 3 directions of lifting power:
X - bot flies to the right side from Kicker (changed to 100)
Y - bot is flying to the left side from Kicker
Z - coefficient of the bot's lifting power (changed to 670)

If the variables X, Y are equal to zero, then the bot flies along an even vertical line from Kicker

The map has been fixed. It was an easy case )

p.s. Unfortunately, i can't play on fixed maps online. Therefore, i have to have 2 UT99. One game is for playing without network with bots, the other game is for playing over network without bots
Attachments
DM Morpheus.png
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Gadavre wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:55 am Kicker has 3 directions of lifting power:
X - bot flies to the right side from Kicker (changed to 100)
Y - bot is flying to the left side from Kicker
Eh... not really. Direction X is not in the opposite direction of Y. You can consider X being Left - Right based on Positive and Negative values, Y might be Toward or BackWard also having "+" or "-", and Z can go "Up" or "Down" because actually kicker can help in certain cases where Pathing is flawed by Editor and Bot fails to jump through a hole. Adding Kicker with Z = -100 or such right into flight way can fix the problem smoothly making Bot to do a controlled "failure" for moving down through hole and not OVER the hole.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Related to this post viewtopic.php?p=143096#p143096
Que wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:07 am when playing 1v1... they seem to find nice quiet area's where they just stand around on various maps
and only move when you shoot them.
Here I would like to look at these. There are two things:
#1 map has DefensePoints/Ambushpoints where clearly some Bots are planning to camp (- I don't really like this way - they are easy to be eliminated if you play map more times );
#2 map lacks in paths/items - if everything is taken or it doesn't include paths there is nothing to do than waiting for an event.

Possible fixes:
- Removing useless sleeping defenses;
- Linking everything - if map has very few items, can be used FAKE items distracting Bot based on some factors, this way keeping its engine running.
a9902957@nepwk.com
Experienced

Post by a9902957@nepwk.com »

That impressive CSC contest map Dagolhell unfortunately is not pathed at all.
Might then even be fun with XVehicles or SLV204.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Links ?
Next subject - must be a normal map, oversized maps makes DevPath to reject routing calls.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:02 pm Links ?
Next subject - must be a normal map, oversized maps makes DevPath to reject routing calls.
https://www.ut99maps.net/maps/sniper/DM ... ll.unr.zip

It's a large camping sniper map designed for camping and use of the translocator - lots of buildings in lots of terrain (in two areas separated by water with the water crossed by a single long stone bridge) - lots of stuff (health, sniper ammo, can't remember if there are rifles) in the buildings, some of which need a translocator to get into or get around in (no stairs or lifts in some buildings). Most of the terrain is accessible though steep in a few places. No weapons in the map other than rifles obviously (though, like I say, I can't remember if there are rifles, not all of the CSC maps have them given that clan rifles with a long range and good zoom would be best to use because of the size of the maps).
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

OjitroC wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:45 pm some of which need a translocator to get into or get around in (no stairs or lifts in some buildings).
:lol: As far as I remember I think I can deploy paths and making Bot to go almost everywhere (depending on complexity). I know some Navigation Points in old stock capable to head "Player" without any translocator, so this is not exactly a problem, but it can be a problem if DevPath doesn't respond everywhere - primary testing returned positives but some place was pointing out nothing, not even using almighty flight...
In other case of a big map, all worked for 50% pathed map, when I completed all paths, map has ceased to work normally - this is what I'm afraid of. You did everything normal... and getting nothing in final stage. I did not investigate paths limits rejection, but... it was a big one. Another way no way was CTF-AYeti or something like that, Engine is rejecting even "ActorReachable" calls over there, all paths are useless. And samples can be many others...
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

According to request mentioned...
UnrealGGecko wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:27 pm .... fix the bots (they like just standing in the middle arena bit), and I can see this being a decent 2-4 player level :)
Here is my proposal...
DM-Violentium_rS181.7z
(57.27 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
I called 11 Bots for doing checks, it looks similar to some Zeto...221 map, a funny hyper-flow of the game.
Extra Edit Notes:
- adjusted "VisibleTeleporters" for preventing client corruptions On-Line;
- cleaned up usual junk data;
- building Paths-Net using XC_EditorAdds from XC_EngineV24 and applying a "Clean-Up" with XC_PathsWorker (disconnecting useless jumpers, removing narrow jumpers, removing paths that were crossing through Teleporters without Teleporting purpose, etc.)
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

a9902957@nepwk.com wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:42 pm That impressive CSC contest map Dagolhell unfortunately is not pathed at all.
Might then even be fun with XVehicles or SLV204.
I actually set out to path this map just for my personal offline use as I think it is a very nice map. Unfortunately it tends to develop BSP errors once I rebuild it.
UT99 DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

This is why pathing means doing paths in a GOOD geometry. Touching geometry doesn't help in all cases, mainly it screws up the map.
I always try to avoid changes and rebuilding geometry...
As for this topic, you can keep in mind pathing request for UE1 maps, oversized maps that are not UE1 maps can be pointed as OFF-TOPIC.

For the benefit of any player, I stay inside 1000 Nodes and doing some touches manually where/when it's needed... and this way you won't encounter problems... Frankly, normal UE1 maps are easy to manage.
Mention: The map file "DM-[CSC]Dagolhell.unr" - MD5: 2ba3b8b4f0fec411d9e187f1b4665a69 is embedded with some geometry flaws which I don't see easy to manage. First thing to do it's fixing geometry and only after that we can go forward with paths.

In other cases, the UT Editor is not very good at setting up navigation. This is when we intervene manually and ignore the internal methods, switching to manual methods based on the connection logic in the navigation network. We can even ignore the "LiftCenter" rule, and optimize navigation with a minimum number of connections.
Example:
DM-Zeto_Old.7z
Drop an eye at paths. See what Editor does here and what it doesn't do.
(699.56 KiB) Downloaded 2 times