Editing own messages not possible any more?

Do you want to say something about UT99.org?
Barbie
Godlike

Editing own messages not possible any more?

Post by Barbie »

I tried to update the "UT99 stuff by Barbie" thread and wanted to use an earlier post code as template, but none of my posts is editable any more? :shock:
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Editing own messages not possible any more?

Post by papercoffee »

Yes we implemented a 24 hours edit limit because we encountered some people in the last time who were destroying their posts instead of telling the staff to remove their threads.
We are in a testing phase where we want to give certain members (content creators) the rights to edit their posts to update the threads.

Please be patient.
Pikko
Skilled
Personal rank: Old ClanMan

Post by Pikko »

Barbie wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:47 pm I tried to update the "UT99 stuff by Barbie" thread and wanted to use an earlier post code as template, but none of my posts is editable any more? :shock:
- Same to my post, that needs to be edited-later on. Well, hopefully there will be some sort of solution. :D
asosed
Adept

Post by asosed »

I also can't edit my old post to post a new version of the mod in the header
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:30 amYes we implemented a 24 hours edit limit because we encountered some people in the last time who were destroying their posts instead of telling the staff to remove their threads.
We are in a testing phase where we want to give certain members (content creators) the rights to edit their posts to update the threads.
Okay, I have a problem with that. Because of this thread · viewtopic.php?t=4160

That's my "Active Forums" thread. As you know I make periodic updates to it about the status of various forums, but I also edit the 1st post in the thread when forums become less active or hacked or disappear.

Can't do that with this 24 hour time limit.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

A few idiots ruining something for everyone else temporarily... guess it could be as simple as adding a new opt in user group thing/admins approving edits in the long run.
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

It would be simple if the software had more configurable features, but it's limited sadly.
The edit limit is removed for now as it is not working how we want it. We are still looking around for a solution how we could prevent posts from being replaced with dots.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Maybe allow changes only if a fuzzy compare results in 80% ore more (what means that only 20% may be changed). Ofc there must be a time cooldown between two changes additionally to avoid bypassing that restriction by multiple edits.

Or just add a flag for users who may edit.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Metalfist wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:18 am We are still looking around for a solution how we could prevent posts from being replaced with dots.
Is it a significant enough problem to require a solution (especially when the solution may involve a degree of inconvenience to users that currently does not exist)?

Apart from the recent example, I can recall only 2 other instances some years ago. Perhaps, as with necrobumping, we need to assess the scale of the problem before acting?

Although it is unfortunate the recent example has some logic behind it as it is, in some ways, a reasonable response as it removes content that forum members have highlighted as problematic.
Spoiler
It can be argued that it went too far in removing all posts bar one - but that's up to the OP.

Having contributed inadvertently to the situation and hence being partly responsible, I can only say that my post was not intended to be critical but merely informative - in essence telling readers that one of the files in the download was superfluous - the OP later clarified the reason for including that file which, again, is reasonable.