UT99 - Linux?

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
Phuckphucker
Novice

UT99 - Linux?

Post by Phuckphucker »

I recently switched to Linux and wonder what's the best way to play UT under Linux?
I got the original UT99 CD's somewhere but since i don't have a CD-ROM in my Computer anymore i bought the GOG-Version for Windows a while ago which seem to have no Linux Version to download. What i actually want to know is it even worth installing the Native Linux Version, which is (from what i read more complicated) than just using Bottles or Lutris instead. I gave it a shot with Bottles and the game seems to work just fine (though i can't seem to use XOpenGL).
And if there is still a reason to use the Native Linux Version - where can i actually buy it at this point?
The_Cowboy
Skilled
Personal rank: Codezilla

Re: UT99 - Linux?

Post by The_Cowboy »

Welp Epic so called "delisted" the game from online stores, so better forget about buying. I myself have the GOG version that I play on Linux by using the 469c patch developed by Anthrax (and company). Game runs smooth enough along with simple installation scheme (some may even consider that better than wine, bottles, or Lutris (or whatever) installation). Here you go (same instructions should hold for 469c)

I personally use Native Linux because
1. In my books Linux is faster than windows and opensource (a goldrush)
2. I grew up in academic circles, theoretical HEP to be precise, where Linux is most prevalent. So playing UT on those systems was most natural way for me to spend my office hours. Hence Linux program development is of academic curiosity for me in some sense.
Feralidragon wrote:Trial and error is sometimes better than any tutorial, because we learn how it works for ourselfs, which kills any doubts about anything :tu:
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/FreeandOpen
Phuckphucker
Novice

Post by Phuckphucker »

Hey thank you, didn't know that there is now a other way to get installation done on linux. That makes it much easier of course (innoextract btw is great for extracting Gog Games). Just one more thing, where's the Config file located .loki doesn't seem to exist on my system and i can't seem to find it where did it go?
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

One small change in the latest patch - launch the game from the `/System64/` directory for native 64bit support - no i386 arch needed any more.

My config files are in `~/.utpg/System`, not sure if that's the new default, or just because I was using 451 before - but after first run take a look and see if the main and user configs are in there.
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
The_Cowboy
Skilled

Post by The_Cowboy »

Nice, shrimp beat me to posting the solution. I was booting Ubuntu just to double check!

Yeah the folder you are looking for is .utpg

Seems like new default since Anthrax and company took over the Linux development from Loki Entertainment (Ryan C. Gordon and the rest).
Feralidragon wrote:Trial and error is sometimes better than any tutorial, because we learn how it works for ourselfs, which kills any doubts about anything :tu:
Phuckphucker
Novice

Post by Phuckphucker »

Ty guys. It runs just amazing and better than ever :D

*Edit* Can someone tell me how to install mods or umod files on this? The Bonus Packs seem to be already included?
a9902957@nepwk.com
Experienced

Post by a9902957@nepwk.com »

I tend to symlink the int files of the mutators from System to System64.
Phuckphucker
Novice

Post by Phuckphucker »

Yeah but how do you get them from uMod files?
_21
Average

Post by _21 »

I play UT99 through proton. This way it works nicely with the dx11 renderer. I also run unrealed with wine.

I'm not a fan of having the config files in `~/.utpg/System` what if I have multiple versions of UT99 in separate folders? Do they just all share the settings inside the `~/.utpg/System` folder? That's utter chaos! I need separate settings for server. And I have various test versions of UT99 with which I test to ensure compatibility. If I were to run the native version what would be the best approach here? Do I need to make separate user accounts to separate them?
The_Cowboy
Skilled

Post by The_Cowboy »

Phuckphucker wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:50 pm Yeah but how do you get them from uMod files?
You need the umod extractor utility (such as one by utsniper https://github.com/scottadkin/umod-extractor) which should extract .u and .int files (for most mods) which you should place in ./utpg/System folder. Usually a readme.txt or pdf file may also be obtained which should give hint on what to place and where.
_21 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:07 pm I'm not a fan of having the config files in `~/.utpg/System` what if I have multiple versions of UT99 in separate folders? Do they just all share the settings inside the `~/.utpg/System` folder? That's utter chaos! I need separate settings for server. And I have various test versions of UT99 with which I test to ensure compatibility. If I were to run the native version what would be the best approach here? Do I need to make separate user accounts to separate them?
Ye you can use wine or whatever. Native UT playing is an exclusive club and is not for everyone to appreciate and practice (I think). In fact there are elements who are against Linux native UT.
If you want to run multiple servers and whatnot, you just specify the multiple UnrealTournament.ini files in the commandline or something. Haven't done that myself.
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

You can specify a custom System directory on the command line:

Code: Select all

./ut-bin-amd64 -sethomedir=~/ut99/MyCTFServer/System

./ut-bin-amd64 -sethomedir=~/ut99/MyRanomModsServer/System

./ut-bin-amd64 -sethomedir=~/ut99/MyGameClient/System
I haven't tried it, but technically you should then be able to dump all your custom content into the associated Maps, Music, Textures etc directories, leaving your actual root install clean, while providing each different installation with its own set of content and mess.
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!