Progaming settings

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
Baardman
Skilled

Progaming settings

Post by Baardman »

are there any more usefull tweaks i can use to make it easier to hit the enemy?
i saw on twitch a streamer that looked like all textures where grey and the shock rifle beam looked sharper.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Progaming settings

Post by Feralidragon »

Baardman wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:32 pm i saw on twitch a streamer that looked like all textures where grey and the shock rifle beam looked sharper.
That streamer was likely cheating, unless they were playing some kind of mod or custom server set up like that.

The only legitimate settings you can use to see and hit players better are as follows:
  • have the game to be brighter, since most maps are fairly dark and that makes players harder to spot;
  • in the Video settings, set the World Texture Detail to Low, and Skin Detail to High, which makes the map textures blurrier and more solid, whereas any other object (such as players) more distinct;
  • in the same Video settings, you can also uncheck Show Decals so you don't have hit and explosion decals cluttering your view of the map, and lowering your frame rate;
  • in the same settings, you can also disable Dynamic Lighting, which while it makes a difference in frame rate, it also disables lighting effects in some maps that make use of it, which may turn a wall with ongoing moving lighting effects to something static and still;
  • in the Game settings, you can set the Weapon Hand to Hidden or Center, which will greatly reduce blind spots on your screen concerning your view on where enemies are, since usually the weapon obstructs a great portion of one of the sides of the screen (left or right, depending on your settings);
  • in the same settings, you can set the Gore Level to Ultra-Low, so that especially in matches with a lot of explosions and lot of players being killed, the gore parts do not obstruct your view of the players themselves;
  • in the HUD settings, adjust your crosshair, especially if you're using the 469 version of the game, since it provides you with things such as crosshair scaling, meaning that you can set your crosshair to be smaller and have pinpoint accuracy, as well check the option to center your crosshair, so that you hit exactly where you aim at a distance;
  • if you have a high frequency monitor, make sure the game is running a frame rate at least equal to that of the monitor or higher (anywhere from 120Hz to 240Hz is recommended), especially since this a game which is fast and requires next to instant reaction times in most scenarios to get the frag (especially in instagib), and higher frame rate will have an impact on your input latency (how long a key press or click takes to be processed by the game and register the hit) and the fluidity of the game (player movements become much easier to follow, even if they are being very fast and dodging all the time).
There are certainly more, but these are the ones out of the top of my head.
And of course, there are always the usual tips which apply to nearly every FPS game out there, like adjusting your mouse sensitivity, adjusting your FOV, etc.

And my own personal advice, which I try to abide to myself: always try to keep yourself relaxed during a match, and focus on hitting your shots first, and dodge them second, especially in a game such as UT99 which has a very short TTK (Time To Kill).
If you get stressed and tense up your muscles, your movements become much stiffer and you will have a much harder time hitting moving targets (I still struggle with this a lot myself, it's easy to get stressed especially when playing against opponents much stronger than myself).

Many times it just happens outside of your control, of course, but it's something to keep in mind and be aware of in general, as being at least aware of it will lead you to do incremental corrections over time and hit more your shots.

Trying to be more relaxed will also make you take losses easier and in stride, rather than being angry, and actually learn from them and improve your own gameplay, especially if you use that to pay attention to what others are doing right and what you're doing wrong.

Anything that you see beyond this that makes textures even blurrier or of a solid color, or clearly highlights players in some way, is usually an exploit or just plain cheating.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Not forget set to True HighDetailActors in render settings. this allow see players better, because can apply to them more hi-res textures.
Type in console "preferences" - go to used render settings, and ensure it set to True.
Baardman
Skilled

Post by Baardman »

okay thanks, most of those setting i already have but this guy on twitch has very bland texture detail.

i appreciate the tips, i upped Frames per scond and HighDetailActors.
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

That is just positive LODBias with those competitive player textures, and IG+ settings applied, if you do that with the normal skin textures they become blurry. I've always preferred negative LODBias to make things looks sharper rather then blurry, but maps with high res textures can look noisy if you use high world texture detail.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Anyone does with their UT whatever they want, that is part of the appeal of this game.
All this said...I don't care how "competitive" you are or want to be, it almost feels like a crime to me to see those beautiful defined textures being smudged like that. I guess I play mostly for the experience, and honestly this breaks it for me. :noidea
Yeah, I know Quake players also do that a lot. But I also don't like it there.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

TankBeef wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:50 pmit almost feels like a crime to me to see those beautiful defined textures being smudged like that. I guess I play mostly for the experience, and honestly this breaks it for me. :noidea
Exactly my thoughts on this ...but everyone has the right to make his game "kaput". :ironic:
Baardman
Skilled

Post by Baardman »

papercoffee wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:17 pm
TankBeef wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:50 pmit almost feels like a crime to me to see those beautiful defined textures being smudged like that. I guess I play mostly for the experience, and honestly this breaks it for me. :noidea
Exactly my thoughts on this ...but everyone has the right to make his game "kaput". :ironic:
i understand but i enjoy being able to frag more, thats also why i love instagib so much. If there where only more maps with simple textures like Lego map from ut2004. i think most maps have depressing textures in UT, very greyish already.
and sorry for opening that old post, i had mistaken it for this one.
This blend textures are better for my eyes so i get less strain. I think something comparable to Team fortress would be best for visibility and eye strain.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

We need new texture pack SuperUberDuperMegaSD 4x4 :lol: