Shot002.jpg
Shot003.jpg
Shot004.jpg
Shot005.jpg
Link:
AS-TheEyeInTheSky.zip
(17.27 MiB) Downloaded 13 times
STORY:

Long ago in a far away galaxy a civilization is preparing sacrifices to satisfy the hunger of their angry gods, a game is played where the players must complete a certain set of objectives before time runs out while also defeating all opposition that presents itself. After countless eons this civilization was thought to be nothing but myths until Liandri received a special invitation from an unknown source about a challenge in the far distant corner of the galaxy, the instructions were simple: send the best gladiators to this desolated planet and complete a set of objectives to receive the most prestige reward : immortality , the names of the winners will be immortalized and worshiped for endless generations. Liandri accepted the invitation and prepared to embark to this unknown sector of the galaxy to win the ultimate game.

Only true champions will prevail.

PERSONAL NOTES:

My first Assault map for UT2004, this level took me longer than I thought, mostly because I had to make an Assault map without any help from tutorials from the internet. This map was inspired by many egyptian Assault maps, including many trials maps, which use a lot of platforming challenges. It was quite the challenge to make this map have full bot support, but at the end I'm very happy with the end result. With this map I have learned more about how to make terrain and I also learned how to use Scripted Triggers, which are very useful and have basically replaced many actors from UT99. However the most difficult thing was doing the cutscene at the beginning of the map, not because I couldn't understand how to do it, it was because of the technical issues I had with the Scene Manager actor. I was originally going to add a cutscene at the end of the map but because of my awful experience doing the other cutscene I decided not to. This map has two secrets, let see if you can find them. Also this map is quite long, so I recommend a round time limit of 20 or 30 minutes.

Oh and the name of the map is definitely an Alan Parson reference :)
Somewhere in Nevada...
jmartin
Skilled

Re: AS-TheEyeInTheSky

Post by jmartin »

Gorgeous map. I like how the bots are able to navigate the floating planks. And the skybox, looks like freaking Mount Doom over there.

Nice work :tu:
Attachments
Shot00008-320.jpg
Shot00008-320.jpg (49.71 KiB) Viewed 667 times
Shot00007-320.jpg
Shot00007-320.jpg (47.58 KiB) Viewed 667 times
Aspide
Skilled

Post by Aspide »

jmartin wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:31 am Gorgeous map. I like how the bots are able to navigate the floating planks. And the skybox, looks like freaking Mount Doom over there.

Nice work :tu:
Thanks :tu: , this level has a lot of platforming puzzles and movers, I was inspired by Assault trial maps like AS-TheEgyptianPyramid and AS-TempleOfTrials, but I also wanted to make an Assault map that you can actually attack/defend with weapons and also make a map with full bot support. I hope you liked the music selection, I really love the tracks that I used in this map.
Somewhere in Nevada...
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Well you convinced me, got to check it out. I tried the same type of trial with those terrains (and everything else) , then populating them with plants and grass, etc.

It's really good that you achieved your objectives, like bot-pathing, and everything else, but now you actually "learned" and know, and won't forget, unlike picking things off from tutorials.

And if you really want to freak out, try making a map SP in Unreal2. It's not worth it
but the whole thing is different, very different.
Binary Space Partitioning