[Solved] Copying textures between packages.

Discussions about UT99
prime
Novice

[Solved] Copying textures between packages.

Post by prime »

Hi all,

I'm trying to re-build a mod, and have managed to export the script code, textures, sounds and models. I can re-build it with ucc make and it mostly works, however
some of the textures are screwed up.

Is there a way of copying a few textures from a .u file to a .utx? UnrealEd seems to be able to browse the textures in a package and can export them.
However the textures in question are Fractal textures (according to the ucc resrays output), and so don't seem to be able to be properly exported and then re-imported with #exec
If I could move them to a .utx file I would then be able to import this.

Cheers.

Phill.
Last edited by prime on Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buggie
Godlike

Re: Copying textures between packages.

Post by Buggie »

In UnrealEd you can load one package into another. Via command or via GUI (v469d+).
So you need load your .u package into your .utx package and delete all unneed from it.

It can be also laoded in MyLevel package, which represent map. All need stuff need use on map somehow.
Save map. Reload editor, open saved map and save MyLevel as new package.
This remove all unlinked stuff, and allow you keep only what you need.

Command for load another package into exists package:
OBJ LOAD FILE=C:\UT\Textures\HP2_ALL.utx PACKAGE=MyLevel
Can be used with any type of file.
In fact .u and .utx is same format of files, just different extension.
prime
Novice

Post by prime »

Right so let me get the sequence straight, after having struggled with this most of yesterday and failed.

OneTexture.utx, is the file I want to move the textures TO.
Gauntlet-10-BetaV4.u is the package I want to move the textures FROM.

1) Fire up UnrealEd.
2) In the texture window, click the open and browse and load the texture file.
3) In the command at the bottom of the screen (or the Log window) paste the command : obj load FILE=Z:\tmp\UT\Server_32\System\Gauntlet-10-BetaV4.u package=OneTexture.g
The log window outputs :

Code: Select all

Log: New File, Existing Package (Package OneTexture.G, Package Gauntlet-10-BetaV4)
Log: Unloading: Package OneTexture.G
Log: Matched Viewport U2Viewport0
Log: Matched Viewport U2Viewport1
Log: Matched Viewport U2Viewport2
Log: Matched Viewport U2Viewport3
Log: Matched Viewport MeshBrowser
Log: Matched Viewport TextureBrowser
Going back to the texture window nothing has changed, still only one texture in the OneTexture package, and Gauntlet-10-BetaV4 doesn't seem to have loaded (also no signs of it in the Mesh, Sounds or Actor windows)

Not sure what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers.

Phill
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

prime wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:34 pm obj load FILE=Z:\tmp\UT\Server_32\System\Gauntlet-10-BetaV4.u package=OneTexture.g
Phill, what's that "g" ? - I must ask. I'm not sure if Editor uses such files OneTexture.g.
In Unreal Engine v1 usually textures can stay in two types of files: UTX and U packages, I'm not aware about other sort of extensions delegated to work in run-time. Editor can load BMP files as well, newer UT patch can also import PNG files but... running a mod or map means using UTX or U files.
You can do an experiment, importing package and using as target package only its name, no extension, see what Editor does at this point.
To not forget that a new created package has to be saved or else it will get lost at closing Editor.
prime
Novice

Post by prime »

sektor2111 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:59 am
prime wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:34 pm obj load FILE=Z:\tmp\UT\Server_32\System\Gauntlet-10-BetaV4.u package=OneTexture.g
Phill, what's that "g" ? - I must ask. I'm not sure if Editor uses such files OneTexture.g.
It's not a file extension :) I believe that Unreal games can have packages containing packages, this was an attempt to do so.
In Unreal Engine v1 usually textures can stay in two types of files: UTX and U packages, I'm not aware about other sort of extensions delegated to work in run-time. Editor can load BMP files as well, newer UT patch can also import PNG files but... running a mod or map means using UTX or U files.
You can do an experiment, importing package and using as target package only its name, no extension, see what Editor does at this point.
To not forget that a new created package has to be saved or else it will get lost at closing Editor.
Indeed, well the original mod has textures, sounds code etc all bundled up in it's .u file. What I'm trying to do is break out the WetTextures (that there is currently no way of exporting / importing) into their own .utx file so that I can rebuild the mod and have them properly included.

What does amaze me is that there isn't an easy way of doing this :(

Cheers.

Phill.
Baardman
Skilled

Post by Baardman »

deed, well the original mod has textures, sounds code etc all bundled up in it's .u file. What I'm trying to do is break out the WetTextures (that there is currently no way of exporting / importing) into their own .utx file so that I can rebuild the mod and have them properly included.

What does amaze me is that there isn't an easy way of doing this :(

Cheers.

Phill.
You can use Gildors UE viewer to export textures and models from u files if that what you are trying to do.
prime
Novice

Post by prime »

Baardman wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:09 pm
deed, well the original mod has textures, sounds code etc all bundled up in it's .u file. What I'm trying to do is break out the WetTextures (that there is currently no way of exporting / importing) into their own .utx file so that I can rebuild the mod and have them properly included.
You can use Gildors UE viewer to export textures and models from u files if that what you are trying to do.
Normal textures are fine, and have been exported with ucc, however the textures in question are Fractal Textures (according to ucc ResRays, see below), and so can't be exported and re imported.
I believe that is why the Unreal 227j's ucc has the SaveEmbedded command to do just what I want, unfortunately UT 469d doesn't. I did try feeding the package to Unreal but that could not process it due to
dependencys the Gauntlet-10-BetaV4.u has (Botpack etc).

Code: Select all

//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Unhandled fractal textures.
//
// Summary about all (possibly in editor) created top level fractal textures.
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
//
// FireBoogerSkin
// MyTex2
// QSG_Sphere_Ripple
// NukerBall
// FireBoogerSkinSrc
// TopTenBackShadeWave
// QSG_Sphere
Cheers.

Phill.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

prime wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:34 pmobj load FILE=Z:\tmp\UT\Server_32\System\Gauntlet-10-BetaV4.u package=OneTexture.g
Try paste command few times. Sometimes it work only after second run.
Baardman
Skilled

Post by Baardman »

no idea what fractal textures are, i asked chatgpt and i got even more confused, says they are generated using mathematical algorithms. if its not a real image then i geuss you could never export it ever because its not a real image i would think.
prime
Novice

Post by prime »

Buggie wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:03 pm
prime wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:34 pmobj load FILE=Z:\tmp\UT\Server_32\System\Gauntlet-10-BetaV4.u package=OneTexture.g
Try paste command few times. Sometimes it work only after second run.
Thnaks, seems that toggling the 'in use only' and 'all groups' buttons made it work.

I was finally able to get the textures exported by the level creation method, just a couple of cubes with the textures applied to them.

Cheers.

Phill.