Nali Weapons II - Released!

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!

What do you think about Nali Weapons II?

Holy Sh*t (5 stars)
86%
Good (4 stars)
7%
Could be better (3 stars)
7%
Poor (2 stars)
No votes
It sucks (1 star)
No votes

Total votes: 14

David_OSU
Novice

Re: Nali Weapons II - Released!

Post by David_OSU »

Shoulon wrote:
David_OSU wrote:
The mod menu is too tall to fit my screen when running at 1600x1200 using doublesize menu fonts (same as 800x600 in normal menu fonts). The workaround is to just use normal size menu fonts to setup this mod, but at 1600x1200, its really hard to see what I'm doing. It looks like there is some blank space at the bottom of the menu window, so just removing this empty space should make it fit.
I think its just you. It fits all well in my screen. My res is at 1920x1080
It's obvious from the picture you attached that you are using normal menu fonts. Did you read the part of my post you quoted? Go to the Options Menu and change the GUI font to doublesize. Then see if it still fits your screen.
Shoulon
Novice
Personal rank: Skilled

Post by Shoulon »

David_OSU wrote:
Shoulon wrote:
David_OSU wrote:
The mod menu is too tall to fit my screen when running at 1600x1200 using doublesize menu fonts (same as 800x600 in normal menu fonts). The workaround is to just use normal size menu fonts to setup this mod, but at 1600x1200, its really hard to see what I'm doing. It looks like there is some blank space at the bottom of the menu window, so just removing this empty space should make it fit.
I think its just you. It fits all well in my screen. My res is at 1920x1080
It's obvious from the picture you attached that you are using normal menu fonts. Did you read the part of my post you quoted? Go to the Options Menu and change the GUI font to doublesize. Then see if it still fits your screen.
Actually I did read it fully and I will say it is my fault for not trying double size before posting. But by how much space was left by normal size, I just made a conclusion that it would fit.( I mean theres alot of space still.) I tried it and the mod settings are in like 1/2 my screen.
McjammieD

Post by McjammieD »

nice :gj:
David_OSU
Novice

Post by David_OSU »

Shoulon wrote: I tried it and the mod settings are in like 1/2 my screen.
Interesting. Do you mean with double size GUI fonts at 1920x1080 the mod settings only use up 1/2 your screen height?

I know at 1600x1200 with double size GUI fonts that the mod settings menu is slightly too tall to fit the screen height. As such, you would assume it wouldn't fit 1920x1080 either.
David_OSU
Novice

Post by David_OSU »

Feralidragon wrote: I downloaded the Wormbo's flame thrower, and tried it. I know what you mean, you mean that flame starts blue in the very beggining and it changes smoothly but fast to the true fire color, and it has some fluid movement while in the air (form changing and such, ending in smoke). I might do that indeed.
Feralidragon, also try burning a wall with Wormo's flame thrower, and look at the nice burn marks it leaves behind (hint, hint). :wink:

You've included such nice decals with most of the weapons, why not the flame tracker too?

But mostly I was concerned with the fluid movement of the flames.

In particular, the secondary fire on the flame tracker looks really fake (in my opinion, the weakest effect in the pack). Just a regular fireball type explosion might look better.
David_OSU
Novice

Nali Weapons II - Performance Issues

Post by David_OSU »

When I first tried this mod, I did have some performance issues on my PC, and I've discovered a good method to gradually reduce CPU requirements (performance optimization) when running this mod. This will be helpful to anyone else having performance problems with this mod.

The first thing to turn off is the Chargers, this is even mentioned on the website. Here is the order of things to disable, in order, until your frame rates come back up:

1. Disable Charger Lights
2. Disable Weapon Chargers
3. Disable other Chargers
4. Disable Neo X Health Vials
5. Disable Neo X Med Boxes

By the time I got to #5, my frame rates were back up on my 1.5GHz Athlon.

Obviously, the high-poly chargers should be disabled first. On most maps, the health vials are in groups of 4 or 5, and I noticed that when they came into view, I would get stuttering. So I disabled those next. Finally, the med boxes are also high poly enough and common enough to drag down the frame rate, so I disabled those last. After that, you can try disabling the other pickups.

Even with all the chargers and pickups disabled, you can still play with the new weapons -- which is the best part of this mod.
Shoulon
Novice

Post by Shoulon »

David_OSU wrote:
Shoulon wrote: I tried it and the mod settings are in like 1/2 my screen.
Interesting. Do you mean with double size GUI fonts at 1920x1080 the mod settings only use up 1/2 your screen height?

I know at 1600x1200 with double size GUI fonts that the mod settings menu is slightly too tall to fit the screen height. As such, you would assume it wouldn't fit 1920x1080 either.

Yea literally only 1/2 of the mod screen was displayed. I could only see the bottom of the mod screen.(not usful at all.) But its not a biggy to me, I dont use double size...Not that it shouldnt be adressed that is.
killerbee
Novice

Post by killerbee »

Hi,

We are running the mod now for a couple of days, and we can say its AWESOME! all my players do like it!
I've also tweaked the Charger settings to get "that" little more speed.. for the peeps that are having
a little smaller pc/vidcard so they are now even able to play it... runs very smooth now :D

Let me hear ure experience :tu:

Killerbee's Nali Weapons II Monsterhunt Palace | Sponsored by ()mG
83.119.134.249:7777

cu later!
KB
Sergeant Todd
Adept
Personal rank: Retired Jedi

Re: Nali Weapons II - Performance Issues

Post by Sergeant Todd »

David_OSU wrote:The first thing to turn off is the Chargers, this is even mentioned on the website. Here is the order of things to disable, in order, until your frame rates come back up:

This mod makes me wish for Alienware... :)
Sergeant Todd
---------------

"I miss Olmos & BG, as a matter of frak'd!"
Shoulon
Novice

Re: Nali Weapons II - Performance Issues

Post by Shoulon »

Sergeant Todd wrote:
David_OSU wrote:The first thing to turn off is the Chargers, this is even mentioned on the website. Here is the order of things to disable, in order, until your frame rates come back up:

This mod makes me wish for Alienware... :)
I really hope you don't mean Alienware Computers.... (there such over-priced computers....Could build the same if not better for 1/3 the price.)
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, sorry for not replying sooner. :oops:
David_OSU wrote: Anyway, I really wanted some stand-alone documentation for this (my gaming PC is rarely online anymore -- it only has a modem connection). So I went ahead and pulled the documentation from your webpages and made a standalone version. This has all the JavaScript and automatically-generated HTML junk removed so the files are a little smaller. This did kill the menu bar at the top, so I created a short index page to link it all together.

Anyway, it came out nice enough that I'd thought I'd share it. You can find it here. I recommend including this as an optional documentation package on your site (you can rehost it there).

Also, I would recommend including an updated version for the final release. Let me know if you want help with that. Including docs would be good, in case (God forbid) UT99.org disappears in a couple of years, but this package is still available. Somebody downloading it with no documentation available will have a hard time figuring it out.

Since this is all your work, you don't need to credit me on this (unless you add Beta Tester credits later, then go ahead). This is still a one-man job, and an amazing piece of work for one person.

EDIT: The zipfile for this doc package was 13.6Mb, which I thought was kinda big just for docs. Turns out, it was all the 24-bit PNG graphic files, which I recompressed as JPG files. Now it is only 1Mb, with barely noticeable loss in image quality.
First of all, thanks for doing that, of course you will receive credits for doing that (since there's no many people that would that for a mod like this). Really apreciated :tu: :gj:

David_OSU wrote: Feralidragon, also try burning a wall with Wormo's flame thrower, and look at the nice burn marks it leaves behind (hint, hint). :wink:

You've included such nice decals with most of the weapons, why not the flame tracker too?
Well, about that, I really added the decals. The problem was, since each flame created a decal, the game would lag very badly in the decal spots, so I took them off. But maybe I will add the decals again, but you will have to enable them in the menu, since they really cause massive lag when used too much (even Wormbo's flame thrower decals lagged a bit). I can optimize the performance as well by controlling when the decals are spawned, but again, if you "burn" the same wall for a while, it will lag with the decals. But I really might add them again.
David_OSU wrote: But mostly I was concerned with the fluid movement of the flames.
That's a problem for me and the pack, as that would mean more and more textures. There's currently 16 flames in the pack, so if I try to make them fluid (like each flame having like 5 or 6 variations to fluid motion), the filesize of the pack will rise too much, and the pack is already too big. There's a very low probability for me doing that, but I still I will think about that.
David_OSU wrote: In particular, the secondary fire on the flame tracker looks really fake (in my opinion, the weakest effect in the pack). Just a regular fireball type explosion might look better.
Well, personally it doesn't look the best for me as well, but it isn't a really fake effect for me. Still, your fireball idea is far better, and it would fit much better the big cannon objective and justify better the need to cool down (steam). I wonder how I didn't remember to add that lol
David_OSU wrote:When I first tried this mod, I did have some performance issues on my PC, and I've discovered a good method to gradually reduce CPU requirements (performance optimization) when running this mod. This will be helpful to anyone else having performance problems with this mod.

The first thing to turn off is the Chargers, this is even mentioned on the website. Here is the order of things to disable, in order, until your frame rates come back up:

By the time I got to #5, my frame rates were back up on my 1.5GHz Athlon.

Obviously, the high-poly chargers should be disabled first. On most maps, the health vials are in groups of 4 or 5, and I noticed that when they came into view, I would get stuttering. So I disabled those next. Finally, the med boxes are also high poly enough and common enough to drag down the frame rate, so I disabled those last. After that, you can try disabling the other pickups.

Even with all the chargers and pickups disabled, you can still play with the new weapons -- which is the best part of this mod.
I will add that to the website as well, is a good sequential method to boost the performance to an acceptable point again. :mrgreen:

Again, thanks all for the support :tu:
David_OSU
Novice

Post by David_OSU »

Feralidragon wrote:First of all, thanks for doing that, of course you will receive credits for doing that (since there's no many people that would that for a mod like this). Really apreciated :tu: :gj:
Feralidragon: Glad you like it. I was going to make a stand-alone version of the site help for my own use, so I had already invested the time to do that. The only extra time was recompressing all the pictures to JPEG (and a few to 8-bit PNG instead of 24-bit) to make it much smaller. I used the JPEG wizard in Paint Shop Pro 7, which allows you to gradually increase the compression with preview, so you can customize it for each picture. That gave me the smallest file sizes without messing up the pictures.

Anyway, you have obviously spent A LOT of time on this, so the least I could do was put a few hours into making a documentation package as a thank-you for supporting UT99 with a cool new mod. :tu:

About the flame thrower: I haven't experienced much lag from the Wormbo flame thrower decals, but I see your point. I think Wormbo used larger decals (like most of yours), but spawned them at a slow rate. But making it optional is a good idea.

One question about the help info: on the page about the Chargers, you wrote that they have around "2.00" polys. This appears to be a typo: should it be 2000 instead? I don't think you meant 200. There are a few other minor spelling mistakes in the docs, so I've started to clean up my stand-alone version.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

David_OSU wrote: One question about the help info: on the page about the Chargers, you wrote that they have around "2.00" polys. This appears to be a typo: should it be 2000 instead? I don't think you meant 200. There are a few other minor spelling mistakes in the docs, so I've started to clean up my stand-alone version.
Yes, it's 2.000 I meant, I will fix that when I have time. Again, thanks for the effort in the help files :tu:
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

luluthefirst wrote:You need to fix some bug, this mod lag me and if i activate the megaton, this is very very bug, else is a good mod, gj!
Thanks, but I already know it has some bugs. I have even a list of bugs to be fixed, that's why this pack is still a BETA.

About performance/lag issues, follow this:

Those steps helped a lot of people. But I have to rework a bit the performance in max, like the LOD of the meshes at distance and so.
MessiahComplex
Novice
Personal rank: UT addict

Post by MessiahComplex »

Absolutely unbelievably awesome mod. The most exciting thing about it is that it's only in its beta yet, and can only get better. I truly look forward to any new releases.

There's really only one gripe I have about it...The FX Cybot, while incredibly useful, is also a bit overpowered in that it's practically impossible to undo once one has been set, and in a CTF match, can lead to some rather disasterous consequences for an opposing team. Maybe set a self-destruct timer?

Also if I may ask...are there summon commands for them (the weapons) yet?
Equal Opportunity Destroyer