Black & Decker UT99 Server, weird but useful

Discussions about Servers
nickelo
Average

Black & Decker UT99 Server, weird but useful

Post by nickelo »

I had been thinking for days about how to take advantage of the symmetrical 1GB connection at my mother's house to put up a UT99 server (mine does not reach 100 asymmetrical), without making noise, not spending a lot of electricity, etc... Raspberries are not compatible and slownly, and minipcs are very expensive, so I decided to take advantage of the scrap that I had.

It's okay if no one mistakes it for the toolbox and rips out the wires :loool:.

IMG_20230818_140654.jpg
IMG_20230818_140700.jpg
IMG_20230818_140711.jpg
IMG_20230818_140804.jpg

Inside it an old laptop board, which had a broken screen and battery, Acer e5 522, AMD Series A A4-7210, 4 cores from 1.8 to 2.2 Ghz in turbo mode, 8GB DDR3 and 120GB Kingston SSD, bye, bye RaspberryPi. The relay is to solve the problem that the laptop board, does not have the function "Power on after power loss" in bios, relay is powered by USB, so that when the power is cut, it closes the circuit of the two power button pins, and server boot again. The operating system is Ubuntu Server x64 of course.

I think it's a good idea to take advantage of laptops, which usually break the screen and the battery doesn't work, for these things, instead of Lenovo or HP minipcs, which are more expensive, in case the idea helps someone.
UT Server in Spain, home served @ 1GB symmetrical fiber :rock: http://ut99server.kozow.com (The Black&Decker Server.)
=================================
-Easy downloads, up to date, "ready to run" for friends in webpage of server.
-"Realistic" BOT configuration, autofill an adecuate amount of bot when you connect, good for practice, 10 humans allowed.
-MapVote, "t" and write "!vote" to test maps.
-More 300 Maps...
-UZ compression, faster downloads.
-UTStats 2 page.
Enjoy.
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Re: Black & Decker UT99 Server, weird but useful

Post by esnesi »

That is one of the awesome casemods i've seen in a while!
Didn't knew Black&Decker was that international as well, lol!
The Black&Decker Host :D

Awesome project!
nickelo
Average

Post by nickelo »

esnesi wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:50 am That is one of the awesome casemods i've seen in a while!
Didn't knew Black&Decker was that international as well, lol!
The Black&Decker Host :D

Awesome project!
Thank you, I am from Spain, I have always bought B&D in electric tools, the best quality/price.
The server http://ut99server.kozow.com/ I think it works pretty well, for what it is... it's hosting a minecraft server for my brother too, but it's in "development"...
UT Server in Spain, home served @ 1GB symmetrical fiber :rock: http://ut99server.kozow.com (The Black&Decker Server.)
-"Realistic" BOT configuration, autofill an adecuate amount of bot when you connect, good for practice, 10 humans allowed.
-More 300 Maps...
-UTStats 2 page.
Enjoy.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

It can be dangerous. I doubt if case from special plastic, like in laptops. So it can overheat and burn house. Or make dangerous steam if over heat. Need be careful with that.
nickelo
Average

Post by nickelo »

Buggie wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:25 pm It can be dangerous. I doubt if case from special plastic, like in laptops. So it can overheat and burn house. Or make dangerous steam if over heat. Need be careful with that.
If you are right, here in Spain, there is even the case of a family that died from leaving a laptop on a couch. But in 25 years of computer tecnician work, lately carrying a group of almost 30,000 pcs, no desktop or laptop PC fire. If there was a case of a laser printer that almost burned due to a failure in the thermal sensor of the fuser :facepalm:

You are right in laptops it is like automobile plastic, it does not burn. I will be careful with this issue, however, since it does not have a battery, there is less danger of fire, it would have to be a very strong electrical short.

Thanks.
-More 300 Maps...
-UTStats 2 page.
Enjoy.
nickelo
Average

Post by nickelo »

Normal power outages in a house working perfectly, without incident. It has no UPS system, it starts and works again. :rock:

-Updated today to the latest version of Ubuntu Server, all packages up to date.

-Using the latest UT99 server x64 binaries.

It seems that the mutation works well ;), with low energy consumption.
-More 300 Maps...
-UTStats 2 page.
Enjoy.
Baardman
Skilled

Post by Baardman »

nickelo wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:04 pm Normal power outages in a house working perfectly, without incident. It has no UPS system, it starts and works again. :rock:

-Updated today to the latest version of Ubuntu Server, all packages up to date.

-Using the latest UT99 server x64 binaries.

It seems that the mutation works well ;), with low energy consumption.
this is too funny :)