Airport

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
jmartin
Skilled

Airport

Post by jmartin »

DM-Airport

This is not really a playable UT map, per se, as it is way too big to be easily navigable. This is more of an example of civic architecture created after studying modern airport designs from around the world and also all of the UT airport maps I could find. I tried to make this map resemble and function more like what a real airport might look like in the UT world.

This is your final boarding call...

https://www.mediafire.com/file/gj58ancr ... t.zip/file

EDIT:
PS. I almost forgot to mention, thanks to the authors of several other Airport themed maps that helped research and inspire this one, including "Airport Terror" 2000 by Werner Poetzelberger, "Doomed Airport" 2000 by Mark Hurst, and "[BBST] Airport" 2005 by R@dius.

Although I couldn't get BBST Airport to run (it kept crashing, maybe the NTSB can look into it) I was however able to pull up a screen shot from the MyLevel package. Thanks R@dius.
Attachments
Shot0145b.jpg
Shot0136.jpg
Last edited by jmartin on Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: Airport

Post by EvilGrins »

I'm sure die-hard snipers would love it, and I know at least 1 person who might consider it a pathing challenge due to the size.   
Auto merged new post submitted 2 hours 55 minutes later
My initial comment was on you saying the map is ginormous (a slight but accurate paraphrase) but I've since let the bots have a run at it.
The terminal itself is huge, but the runways and the surroundings are massive to the point of insanity.
Not even sure why it needed an underground tram, but it has that too.

Most of the action, from pathing, seems to stick to the main terminal as bots run through it and under it in a fairly consistent loop.
Image Image
Oh, and sorry I couldn't find you (or make) a stewardess skin for this. Although the bodysuit works well enough.

Overall, a good map. Find a sniper rifle and you can setup outside the terminal at the extreme range and pick off players in the terminal.
Only flaw I found, and I'm not even sure if it is one, is I think the Bunny Heads on the Playboy plane are supposed to be facing in the same direction... forward.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
[BBST]BenARAison
Novice

Post by [BBST]BenARAison »

Happy to see that someone always use BBST work in 2024 :tongue:

u make a great AIRPORT map ! :rock:
jmartin
Skilled

Post by jmartin »

Thanks so much Ben. Yes there are a few of us old-timers still around. :-)
[BBST]BenARAison
Novice

jmartin wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:23 pm Thanks so much Ben. Yes there are a few of us old-timers still around. :-)
old-timers ... :mrgreen:
i play UT a lot from 2002 to 2007 and u ?
what was your nickname ?
jmartin
Skilled

Post by jmartin »

Yes, I started mapping back in April of 2001 (late starter). My first map was DM-Pawns.

Before that I designed levels for AD&D Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures developers kit (FRUA), Jack Nicklaus Golf & Course design, and a bunch of DOS and Visual BASIC stuff, Conaga, Chicagopoly, Attack Sub, junk like that.

I was in a clan called clan [IP] "International Protocallers", my tag was [IP][J].

We only had a few guys (one girl) and 2 servers. One in Japan administrated by Radius (a different R@dius), and one administrated by myself in Texas.

It seems like that was the golden era of Unreal. Our sister clan was KoR (Klan of Rebels) and we used to stay up all night playing Zahltag, Unreal City, and Enter the Matrix, for years, until everything kind of fizzled out in 2006. That's when we closed our servers.

Interesting how of all the Unreals, UT99 still has a handful of players.

Quick question, what does BBST stand for? I've seen it around for a long time but never knew what the letters meant.

Is R@dius still around? That guy has a pretty impressive portfolio of maps to his credit. I particularly like that Ski or Die! Very cool map!

Is BBST still online?

Do you still play online?

Thanks again :tu:
[BBST]BenARAison
Novice

Thank you for all this informations
So happy to read "UT Old-player" 's story :D
jmartin wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:46 am It seems like that was the golden era of Unreal. Our sister clan was KoR (Klan of Rebels) and we used to stay up all night playing Zahltag, Unreal City, and Enter the Matrix, for years, until everything kind of fizzled out in 2006. That's when we closed our servers.
Zahltag ... i really love this map !
We have played all night for years too !
I remember that i play on KoR maps ... but don't remember names
jmartin wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:46 am Interesting how of all the Unreals, UT99 still has a handful of players.
Yes ! only ... 25 years later ... :tongue:
UT99 had everything we wanted :
can be started on all computers easily
can be modified (rules, maps, skins ...)
can be hosted and managed by players (the first BBST server was hosted on my bedroom)
Epic had created exactly the game we wanted
jmartin wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:46 am Quick question, what does BBST stand for? I've seen it around for a long time but never knew what the letters meant.
BBST first definition :

B for Ben@r@ison (me)
B for Bust@p@t@tor
S for Squ@l@tor
T for Tr@x
The 4 founders (and real life friends)

B@bySitter quickly join us and we change the definition to Bad Boy Sniper Team :rock: :lol:
(B@bySItter was in [AMLP] clan before joining us )
AMLP was the team we were closest to (founders are french like us) - You know this clan ?
We meet us in UT99 but we worked together in our real life job (some AMLP and BBST players)
We have organised Lan party 2004 - 2005 - 2006 with all the BBST clan (20 players i think) it was sooooo funny :mrgreen:
We only played sniper camper mod
jmartin wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:46 am Is R@dius still around? That guy has a pretty impressive portfolio of maps to his credit. I particularly like that Ski or Die! Very cool map!
R@dius was a real life friend too but he moved to another town and we have lost contact ! :cry:
I'm so impressed by all the maps he has created (and which are still played)
jmartin wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:46 am Is BBST still online?
Do you still play online?
No BBST is not still online !
But my 13 years old son like UT99 and the story of old players :D
So i prepare a sniper server (not only camper) and i will re-open it in few days (with teamspeak server too)

And you ? You still play online ?
You still have contact with old clan mates ?
Which game mod you prefer ?

Have a good day :tu:
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

Hello [BBST]BenARAison,
I don't want to intrude in this discussion but BBST is a legendary clan with legendary sniper maps.
I just want to report a UT99 Sniper Community discord channel where you could find old friends, new maps and tournaments for sniper camping community.
Please, take a look at it. Thanks.

https://discord.gg/KCjZdnPsPg

best regards,
Pietro
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

[BBST]BenARAison wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:14 amR@dius was a real life friend too but he moved to another town and we have lost contact
Was he the one that made all or most of the BBST maps? Because if so he might be worth tracking down.

He's got an account on another forum I follow but hasn't posted in forever. Dropped him a message to see if he's still playing.
Attachments
Shot0231.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
jmartin
Skilled

Post by jmartin »

[BBST]BenARAison wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:14 am And you ? You still play online ?
You still have contact with old clan mates ?
Which game mod you prefer ?
Thanks Ben.

I seldom play online anymore, unless I'm curious about looking at a new map. I still like making maps once in a while, just to keep the neurons firing

We still keep in touch with a couple of old clan mates (once every few years it seems) [IP]Shaggy, Ace, from the Netherlands, and [KoR]Rick from Seattle.

We are all old timers now, some with kids. A few grandparents probably. :shock:

My favorite mod was probably Unreal For Ever (U4E), especially the Frying Pan weapon, and Baby Nuke 'em Doll. Flesh Bomb gun, the black hole Vortex gun,... hilarious.

Keep in touch Ben, and let us know when your server is running.

If you see R@dius again, tell him we said comon alez vou.

PS.

I've always thought a few of the reasons why Unreal was so popular was due to the fact that you could play online with anyone from around the world for free. There were no monthly fees, service contracts, host restrictions, you didn't even need a user ID or Password. And you could also launch your own server from your home with nothing more than a lap top. Not to mention you could build your own maps, (that's what hooked me). Import your own graphics, sound effects, music, mods, Anything you can imagine, you can pretty much build it in Unreal.
[BBST]BenARAison
Novice

UTPe wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:41 am Hello [BBST]BenARAison,
I don't want to intrude in this discussion but BBST is a legendary clan with legendary sniper maps.
I just want to report a UT99 Sniper Community discord channel where you could find old friends, new maps and tournaments for sniper camping community.
Please, take a look at it. Thanks.

https://discord.gg/KCjZdnPsPg

best regards,
Pietro
Hi Pietro !

Thanks for the link, i will take a look in the next weeks :wink:
Are you an "old sniper too ?" :lol:

Have a good day !   
Auto merged new post submitted 10 minutes later
EvilGrins wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:12 am
[BBST]BenARAison wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:14 amR@dius was a real life friend too but he moved to another town and we have lost contact
Was he the one that made all or most of the BBST maps? Because if so he might be worth tracking down.

He's got an account on another forum I follow but hasn't posted in forever. Dropped him a message to see if he's still playing.
Hi EvilGrins !

No [BBST]R@dius was not the only map maker in BBST

BBST]B@BySiTter made somes
(eg : [BBST]-AumSweetHome.unr)

I will try to find contact with R@dius on other networks (Facebook, LinkedIn ... Fortune-telling :P)   
Auto merged new post submitted 4 hours 48 minutes later
jmartin wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:53 pm We still keep in touch with a couple of old clan mates (once every few years it seems) [IP]Shaggy, Ace, from the Netherlands, and [KoR]Rick from Seattle.
We are all old timers now, some with kids. A few grandparents probably. :shock:
A UT friendship which become a real friendship ! :tu:

I have a story too :
In 2004 i work in a IT company and we needed a new developer ... in a long UT night conversation, a UT m8 accepted the job (500 kms from his house) and 20 years after, he always works in this company :mrgreen:
Maybe we can write a book with all ours stories ! :P
jmartin wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:53 pm If you see R@dius again, tell him we said comon alez vou.
Ok ! I promise you !
jmartin wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:53 pm PS.
I've always thought a few of the reasons why Unreal was so popular was due to the fact that you could play online with anyone from around the world for free. There were no monthly fees, service contracts, host restrictions, you didn't even need a user ID or Password. And you could also launch your own server from your home with nothing more than a lap top. Not to mention you could build your own maps, (that's what hooked me). Import your own graphics, sound effects, music, mods, Anything you can imagine, you can pretty much build it in Unreal.
Totaly agree !

Have a nice day
UTPe
Masterful

Post by UTPe »

[BBST]BenARAison wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:56 am Thanks for the link, i will take a look in the next weeks :wink:
Are you an "old sniper too ?" :lol:
basically I'm just old, 50 y/o :mrgreen: ...but yes, I've been playing sniper since 2010 in two clans, CoN (USA team) and ISC (italian team).
I've played a lot on BBST maps in the past, these maps are classic/legendary playgrounds for sniper camping mod...DM-[BBST]-Acropolis, DM-[BBST]-Airport, DM-[BBST]-HighCity, DM-[BBST]-Hollywood, DM-[BBST]-Rio, DM-[BBST]-SkateOrDie, DM-[BBST]-SkieOrDie and DM-[BBST]-TokyoDark are among the maps that I loved most.
BBST, TKK and SUF maps were great maps but I suggest you also to check new generation sniper (camping) maps built in the last years (most of them after 2015), you will find surely awesome maps, I'm sure you won't believe to your eyes...I just point out this map: DM-[NES]HighwoodManorV2 (watch video)

best regards,
Pietro

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
[BBST]BenARAison
Novice

UTPe wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:45 pm basically I'm just old, 50 y/o :mrgreen: ...but yes, I've been playing sniper since 2010 in two clans, CoN (USA team) and ISC (italian team).
I've played a lot on BBST maps in the past, these maps are classic/legendary playgrounds for sniper camping mod...DM-[BBST]-Acropolis, DM-[BBST]-Airport, DM-[BBST]-HighCity, DM-[BBST]-Hollywood, DM-[BBST]-Rio, DM-[BBST]-SkateOrDie, DM-[BBST]-SkieOrDie and DM-[BBST]-TokyoDark are among the maps that I loved most.
I love this maps too !
(and 50 y/o is not old :tongue: )
UTPe wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:45 pm I just point out this map: DM-[NES]HighwoodManorV2 (watch video)
:shock: :shock: :shock: Whaaaaaaaaaa !
So incredible !
I will try it this week-end ! :P
Thanks for the link Pietro !
UTPe
Masterful

Post by UTPe »

I add also these videos, I'm sure you'll like them.

best regards,
Pietro