"Monster Telefragging is not allowed"

Discussions about UT99
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

"Monster Telefragging is not allowed"

Post by EvilGrins »

I'm aware there's a mutator which prevents telefragging monsters, forcing players to actually fight them... but I don't have it.

What happened was I was a great height up with no good way to survive the fall, so I shot the transloc straight down so it could get to the ground before I got too much falling velocity to kill me.

It worked.

But then I saw that message pop across the screen, and I was very confused.

The map does have multiple UTDM-monsters on it, but none of them were nearby... so what else can trigger that message?!?
Attachments
Shot0015.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: "Monster Telefragging is not allowed"

Post by OjitroC »

It's the UTDM Mutator - it's spawned for any/each UTDM monster - this is the code :

Code: Select all

class UTDMMutator expands Mutator;

function bool HandlePickupQuery(Pawn Other, Inventory item, out byte bAllowPickup)
{
	// Monsters don't pick up stuff.
	//! Add more here.
	if(Other.IsA('UTDMWarlord'))
	{
		//Log(class$":HandlePickuQuery : UTDM refusing a "$item);
		bAllowPickup = 0;
		return true;
	}

return Super.HandlePickupQuery(Other, item, bAllowPickup);
}

function bool PreventDeath(Pawn Killed, Pawn Killer, name damageType, vector HitLocation) 
{ 
 // prevent telefragging of monsters 
 if(Killed.IsA('ScriptedPawn') && Killer.Weapon.IsA('Translocator')) 
 { 
 Killer.ClientMessage("Sorry, Monster Telefragging is not allowed, you must use conventional weapons."); 
 return True; 
 } 
 return Super.PreventDeath(Killed,Killer,damageType,HitLocation); 
}
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

But, again, there were no UTDM monsters around when it happened.
OjitroC wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:17 pm It's the UTDM Mutator - it's spawned for any/each UTDM monster
Except, I'm pretty sure I've telefragged a UTDMT before.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:52 pm But, again, there were no UTDM monsters around when it happened.
Indeed ... but the only other explanation is that there is an actor/mutator embedded in the map that would prevent telefragging. I don't think you would need to be particularly close to the UTDM Warlords to generate that warning. Somebody with a better understanding of the code would be able to tell you about that.

It looks as though you telefragged a bot(?) at the same time as that message was generated.
EvilGrins wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:52 pm
OjitroC wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:17 pm It's the UTDM Mutator - it's spawned for any/each UTDM monster
Except, I'm pretty sure I've telefragged a UTDMT before.
Yes, I only checked the UTDM Warlord code before - the UTDMT mutator lacks this function

Code: Select all

function bool PreventDeath(Pawn Killed, Pawn Killer, name damageType, vector HitLocation) 
{ 
 // prevent telefragging of monsters 
 if(Killed.IsA('ScriptedPawn') && Killer.Weapon.IsA('Translocator')) 
 { 
 Killer.ClientMessage("Sorry, Monster Telefragging is not allowed, you must use conventional weapons."); 
 return True; 
 } 
 return Super.PreventDeath(Killed,Killer,damageType,HitLocation); 
}
Because the UTDM Mutator spawns for each of the UTDM pawns, then it is likely that the code in the UTDM Mutator for the Warlord prevents the telefragging of a UTDM Titan. If there are only UTDM Titans in a map then they can be telefragged. If there are UTDM Warlords and other ScriptedPawns in a map (other than the UTDM Titan) then the code in the UTDM Warlord mutator should prevent the telefragging of any ScriptedPawn.

The code for the UTDM Mutator for the Berserkers also contains that function - so you should not be able to telefrag them - again it is likely that if there are UTDM Titans in the same map then that code will prevent them being telefragged as well.

So the code of the UTDM Mutators for the Warlord and Berserker is the same but it is different for the Titan.

Experiment by playing a map with just Warlords and with no bots - throw the translocator and see how close it has to be to them in order to get that message.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

It is also possible that it is because of the time difference between shooting a projectile, switching to Translocator while projectile is flying, then projectile (or its shock wave) is killing a ScriptedPawn, and your weapon is Translocator in this moment. I often experienced this.
Sadly there is no way of retrieving the weapon that has caused the damage in function TakeDamage().
"If Origin not in center it be not in center." --Buggie
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:16 pmBecause the UTDM Mutator spawns for each of the UTDM pawns, then it is likely that the code in the UTDM Mutator for the Warlord prevents the telefragging of a UTDM Titan. If there are only UTDM Titans in a map then they can be telefragged. If there are UTDM Warlords and other ScriptedPawns in a map (other than the UTDM Titan) then the code in the UTDM Warlord mutator should prevent the telefragging of any ScriptedPawn.
Huh. Wonder if the UTDMS has the same thing as the UTDMW...?
Barbie wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:46 pmIt is also possible that it is because of the time difference between shooting a projectile, switching to Translocator while projectile is flying, then projectile (or its shock wave) is killing a ScriptedPawn, and your weapon is Translocator in this moment. I often experienced this.
That sounds more than probable.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:08 pm
OjitroC wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:16 pmBecause the UTDM Mutator spawns for each of the UTDM pawns, then it is likely that the code in the UTDM Mutator for the Warlord prevents the telefragging of a UTDM Titan. If there are only UTDM Titans in a map then they can be telefragged. If there are UTDM Warlords and other ScriptedPawns in a map (other than the UTDM Titan) then the code in the UTDM Warlord mutator should prevent the telefragging of any ScriptedPawn.
Huh. Wonder if the UTDMS has the same thing as the UTDMW...?
Yes, the code of the UTDM Mutator for the Warlord and for the Skaarj Berserker is the same so the UTDM Mutator for the latter contains the code for telefrag prevention. It should not be possible for you to telefrag a UTDM Skaarj Berserker. Indeed it should not also be possible to telefrag a UTDM TItan in a map in which are also UTDM Skaarj Berserkers (as the UTDMS mutator will be running) nor should it be possible to telefrag any ScriptedPawn in a map in which are UTDM Warlords and/or UTDM Skaarj Berserkers.