Non UT Weapons Not Working on Server

Discussions about Servers
Otto Kontroll
Novice
Personal rank: Private

Non UT Weapons Not Working on Server

Post by Otto Kontroll »

Hi,

I very recently rented/started a new UT99 server and will make it available soon. However I am having an issue with non UT weapons. I searched here for a solution but just couldn't seem to find a topic that relates. So here is my issue:

My server will have the following mutators/mods: BDBMapVote, LowGrav, Jumpmatch, and Stuffswapper. Within Stuffswapper (SW), I have different configs including one that is all regular UT weapons and others that contain such weapons as Bluballer, BunnyBomber, CS16, and UTRockets among others.

When I run a practice or non-dedicated server using one of the 'other' configs everything is fine. But if I use all the same settings etc on a dedicated (or the rented server), none of the non UT weapons show up for the clients/players. If I use the SW config that is strictly UT weapons, on the same dedicated server, they work fine. So is it possible that somewhere I have some line in some .ini file that says non UT weapons can't be used on a 'dedicated' server.

I hope this makes some sense and if someone wants to to test this out, I am more then willing to restart the server as needed to show the situation.

And as soon as I figure this out I will 'publicize' the server

Otto Kontroll
Last edited by Otto Kontroll on Sat May 11, 2024 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Barbie
Godlike

Re: Non UT Weapons Not Working on Server

Post by Barbie »

Have you added the none default packages to "ServerPackages" in section [Engine.GameEngine] in UnrealTounrament.ini?
"If Origin not in center it be not in center." --Buggie
Otto Kontroll
Novice

Post by Otto Kontroll »

Thanks Barbie,

I should have mentioned I am kind of an ignorant fool when it comes to .ini file commands. I get what you are saying but for example, what would it look like if I entered the 'Bunny Bomber' mod? I am assuming something like "Serverpackage = bunnybomber"

Otto   
Auto merged new post submitted 3 hours 15 minutes later
This is weird, I have one UT folder with all the added maps, weapons and mapvote etc. which I will call UT1. I also have another complete copy in a different documents folder which I will call UT2.
I am trying to run nonUT weapons like Bunny Bomber, CS, Blueballer etc.

So if I start a MultiPlayer server in UT1 or UT2 all the custom weapons work through Stuffswapper. But if I start a dedicated server from either UT1 or UT2, and then join from the other UT folder, none of the nonUT weapons appear.

What I don't understand is why it works 'locally' but not when it's dedicated. As Barbie indicated that I may need to add "serverPackages" but I don't know exactly how that should look like.

Now, lets forget about Stuffswapper and go in another direction, where and how would I just replace a UT weapon with a non Ut weapon like Bunny Bomber? Is that done in the UT .ini or somewhere else?

I apologize for all these noob questions but I am old school and have NO clue about all this server commands and stuff. I just want to run my online server with a few non standards weapons.

I can send my UT .ini file for those who might want to conduct some forensic investigation. (I am missing where I could add the file to the post)

OttO
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Otto Kontroll wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:23 am what would it look like if I entered the 'Bunny Bomber' mod? I am assuming something like "Serverpackage = bunnybomber"
Excerpt of an UnrealTournament.ini

Code: Select all

[Engine.GameEngine]
CacheSizeMegs=4
UseSound=True
ServerActors=IpDrv.UdpBeacon
; some more "ServerActors" entries follow…

ServerPackages=BotPack.u
ServerPackages=multimesh.u
ServerPackages=Soldierskins.utx
ServerPackages=commandoskins.utx
ServerPackages=FCommandoSkins.utx
ServerPackages=SGirlSkins.utx
ServerPackages=BossSkins.utx
ServerPackages=epiccustommodels.u
ServerPackages=tskmskins.utx
ServerPackages=TNaliMeshSkins.utx
ServerPackages=tcowmeshskins.utx

# Cow & Nali fix (bp1fix):
ServerPackages=cowfix.u
ServerPackages=nalifix.u

;ServerPackages=Male2Voice.uax
# For Epic Bonus Pack 4, you also need "ServerPackages=SkeletalChars".
ServerPackages=SkeletalChars.u

ServerPackages=CountryFlags2.utx

ServerPackages=SBDancersV2.u

ServerPackages=SBHealingGunV3.u

ServerPackages=SBQueenSaverV2.u
…
All extra packages that are not in the stock UT installation should be listed as a ServerPackage. These are transferred to clients.

But: you wrote that all needed packages already exist in UT1 and UT2, but do not appear when you start a dedicated server there. HOW do you start that dedicated server? Probably the mutators are not loaded there.
Otto Kontroll wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:23 amhow would I just replace a UT weapon with a non Ut weapon like Bunny Bomber?
You need a Mutator for such.
Otto Kontroll wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:23 amI am missing where I could add the file to the post
Attachments-phpBB.jpg

[/quote]
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I don't understand this sudden new "rule". I have never used files extensions in "ServerPackages" - Dedicated Server 436 released officially by EPIC doesn't use extensions - these are files taken from "Paths" declared in INI file. To not forget that stock things as "BotPack" I'm not using them in Packages because all players are having these stock files - their embedded actors are replicated natively, and the same as other drivers which a Dedicated Server doesn't need. More to say, a custom game-type is defaulted as "Package" by Engine, client needs to know what game is being hosted - in my MH server there is no "MonsterHunt" package added in ServerPackages, such setup is useless. In opposition, custom sounds, skins are mandatory and the same with new weapons and even extra-textures might be needed. Why these customs are mandatory ? Because client doesn't have new additions and it needs to know what is about in said Server especially if game-type running there has no internal links/dependencies to these custom assets. A new weapon must be always a "Package" because client will use a replicated copy of this "Actor" and it needs to know how does this weapon looks like and the rest of functions (sounds, animations) - client won't execute null functions if it has no "package", needed data is usually localized in "Package" containing weapon class, that's why non-stock things used in a Server must be sent as "ServerPackages" at client or else client has no clue what's up in stage.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

sektor2111 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:53 pm I don't understand this sudden new "rule". I have never used files extensions in "ServerPackages" - Dedicated Server 436 released officially by EPIC doesn't use extensions - these are files taken from "Paths" declared in INI file.
It is not a rule but my decision.
Maybe you remember the mess with files like "Guardian.u" and "Guardian.umx" where the name is identical but only the extension differs. If you use for example ServerPackages=Guardian, which one will be chosen to transfer it to client? Yes, the one which occurs first on "Paths". So you have to check always the Paths order to see which will be chosen. And what, if you want to transfer the other?
Using extensions in ServerPackages is simply saver.
Otto Kontroll
Novice

Post by Otto Kontroll »

Hi Barbie,

I kinda get what you are saying however though, please consider me either a 5 year old or the 64 year old noob that I am LOL.

If I want to add the server packages like you suggest, exactly would that look like for say the Bunny Bomber mod/mutator (is there a difference between the two)? Should it be "serverpackage=Bunnybomber" or like you said earlier that there should be some sort of extension?

I am also including my UT config with this reply (with redacted passwords). I had to change the extension as this forum won't let you upload .ini files

Otto   
Auto merged new post submitted 2 minutes later
Barbie,

I should have included a big thank you for even wanting to help. It is greatly appreciated!

oTTo
Last edited by Otto Kontroll on Sat May 11, 2024 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

In prior INI file there is no definition for custom packages - just plain stock + a MapVote. That's why they don't work. Aside, this should be an INI file not U file - UnrealTournament.ini.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Otto Kontroll wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:12 pm If I want to add the server packages like you suggest, exactly would that look like for say the Bunny Bomber mod/mutator (is there a difference between the two)? Should it be "serverpackage=Bunnybomber" or like you said earlier that there should be some sort of extension?
Sadly you didn't answer my question:
Barbie wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:58 am HOW do you start that dedicated server?
For MS-Windows it might be something like this:

ucc.exe server CTF-Face?game=Botpack.CTFGame?MaxPlayers=20?mutator=QFeedback.QFeedback,Relics.RelicDefense,Relics.RelicRedemption,Relics.RelicRegen,Relics.RelicSpeed,Relics.RelicStrength,Relics.RelicDeath log=uts1.log
After "mutator=" you see a comma separated list of Mutators in format Package_name_without_extension.Mutator_name that should be loaded. If that are custom Mutators, their package file names have to go to "ServerPackages" like this:

[Engine.GameEngine]
ServerPackages=QFeedback.u
ServerPackages=Relics.u
Maybe have a look at this web page additionally for example how to set up a server.
Otto Kontroll wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:12 pm I had to change the extension as this forum won't let you upload .ini files
That would be a job for @Shade. I usually put such file into a ZIP or 7z archive.
Otto Kontroll
Novice

Post by Otto Kontroll »

Barbie,
Sorry about that, for my testing purposes, I start UT1, go to (and I am paraphrasing) Mulitplayer, Start new MP game. I then set my 'mutators' and click on 'dedicated'.
I then start my UT2 game, look for LAN servers and then join UT1's MP game.

It's at that point where if using Stuffswapper and non standard weapons that it fails to allow the client (me) have acces to those weapons.

Aside from that, I will try the server package directions.

I have also included the UT.ini file in zip format.

I am sorry I forgot to mention is that I am doing all this with the UT GUI. I am not running any commands using UCC or a windows command prompt etc.

I guess I am doing it the way I did some 20 + years ago on a LAN server that I had access to my job. It seemed a lot easier back then but it could be that we played on a LAN.

I do appreciate all the help :)

oTTo
Last edited by Otto Kontroll on Sat May 11, 2024 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Otto Kontroll wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:12 pm I am doing all this with the UT GUI.
Let's try it step by step: Do as you described here:
Otto Kontroll wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:12 pm I start UT1, go to (and I am paraphrasing) Mulitplayer, Start new MP game. I then set my 'mutators' and click on 'dedicated'.
Then terminate your server without trying to join and see file SYSTEM\server.log. There should be entries like this:

ScriptLog: Add mutator Botpack.FatBoy
ScriptLog: Add mutator WhatEver.SuperDuper
Maybe post the content of that file.
Otto Kontroll
Novice

Post by Otto Kontroll »

Barbie,

Here is that server.log file. Of course I had to zip it because you can't upload a .log file

Otto
Last edited by Otto Kontroll on Sat May 11, 2024 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

This is the command to start your server (line 6):

Init: Command line: DM-Deck16][.unr?Game=Botpack.DeathMatchPlus?Mutator=StuffSwapper.StuffSwapper,BDBMapVote304.BDBMapVote,Botpack.JumpMatch,Botpack.LowGrav?Listen -lanplay -server log=server.log
This line tells that the Mutators packages you are using are
• StuffSwapper
• BDBMapVote304
• Botpack
We see that they are to be loaded (line 63):
ScriptLog: Add mutator StuffSwapper.StuffSwapper
ScriptLog: Add mutator BDBMapVote304.BDBMapVote
But StuffSwapper is missing in "ServerPackages" in section [Engine.GameEngine] in UnrealTournament.ini. So open UnrealTounrament.ini with any text editor, add the line ServerPackages=StuffSwapper somewhere in or at the end of section [Engine.GameEngine], save the file and try again.

If it still does not work, we need the file SYSTEM\UnrealTournament.log from the client you connect with.
Otto Kontroll
Novice

Post by Otto Kontroll »

Barbie,
I did so more testing and here is what I found out. When I start the dedicated server with the mapvote and stuffswapper server packages added as you indicated, this is what happened. I set StuffWapper (SW) with all UT weapons except for two.

When I join the 'dedicated server', all the weapons loaded but the 2 NON UT weapons don't show up in the HUD nor in the 'player view'. In other words, the weapons work but I can't aim them or see them. So they are loading somewhat but not completely on my client end.

I am attaching the 'UnrealTournament.Log' as requested.

I am starting to think this might be a client issue vs the server.

oTTo
Last edited by Otto Kontroll on Sat May 11, 2024 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.