Non UT Weapons Not Working on Server

Discussions about Servers
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Non UT Weapons Not Working on Server

Post by sektor2111 »

An UT server might start in two Ways:
1 - Using UCC.EXE executable file;
2 - Using UnrealTournament.EXE file (GUI more specific) where you can even send commands from outside in server's console - helpful for some debugging stage... that's another chapter.

ANY of these TWO ways of creating a server needs SERVERPACKAGES or else any client who join doesn't know what server is using/running.
Subsequent needs:
- new skins
- new sounds - whatever Server-Logo, etc.
- new weapons
- certain new mods - not all mutators are a need for "ServerPackages" but some of them are mandatory - reading their information is recommended.
By default a server will read UnrealTournament.ini file which defines its configuration and operating mode. A "MapVote" system also needs to be a "Package" or else client doesn't know how does it looks like embedded voting interface.
You need to understand that adding ServerPackages doesn't include some "automation" process, you are the one editing this INI file in a Text editor such as NotePad. Once fired server and test-client joined they have "log" files - there is being printed some information. The same NotePad whatever can read these files.

For the record, you can add some ServerPackages from inside the game using "preferences" command in console... Like here:
ServPck_Access.PNG
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Otto Kontroll wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:54 am I set StuffWapper (SW) with all UT weapons except for two.
I don't know StuffWapper but the name indicates that it exchanges or adds items in the game. If you add something that is not in the default UT installation, you need to add the package where the things are in to server's "ServerPackages".
Example: if you want to use the TitanGun from the package "DangerW.u" you have to add "ServerPackages=DangerW.u" in server's UnrealTounament.ini file. (And of course "DangerW.TitanGun" must appear somewhere in StuffWapper's configuration files.)

What are the things you want to add or exchange by StuffWapper?
"If Origin not in center it be not in center." --Buggie
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Just from looking at the logs, I'd say that the 2 non default UT weapons are in addwep.u and that this package is not on the list of ServerPackages as it not sent by the server, though it (and StuffSwapper) are unloaded before DM-Beanstalk comes up for play.
Otto Kontroll
Average
Personal rank: Private

Post by Otto Kontroll »

Okay, I have sort of diagnosed the problem. After launching my dedicated LAN server and then joining it or joining my GTXGaming server (same ini files etc), I have access to all the custom weapons. They shoot with the fire button.

What I don't get loaded - and this is important - is the custom weapon graphics etc and in the case of a sniper type weapon, no scope (or right click abilities). They don't show in the HUD and also causes some of the ORG UT weapons to not show ammo loads etc in HUD until I use them.
I have the server packages for map vote, addweap and stuffswapper in my UT ini file.

So it looks like a graphics or a client issue. I am going to get a buddy to try it from his end to see if it is me or if it's the server not sending over all the weapon properties.

To paraphrase, the custom weapons are there - I just can't aim them or use them normally as they are intended.

oTTo
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

I did two things on my test server:
  1. Added ServerPackages=addweap.u to section [Engine.GameEngine] in server's UnrealTournament.ini.
  2. Added addweap.addweap to the list of server's mutators.
Looks like that is enough.

The mutator addweap replaces a lot, not only weapons:
addweap.CheckReplacement()

Code: Select all

function bool CheckReplacement(Actor Other, out byte bSuperRelevant)
{
	local Inventory Inv;

bSuperRelevant = 1;

if ( Other.IsA('StationaryPawn') )
		return true;

Inv = Inventory(Other);
 	if ( Inv == None )
	{
		bSuperRelevant = 0;
		return true;
	}

if ( Other.IsA('Weapon') )
	{
		if ( Other.IsA('Warheadlauncher') )
		{
			ReplaceWith( Other, "addweap.m79" );
			return false;
		}
		if ( Other.IsA('ut_biorifle') )
		{
			ReplaceWith( Other, "addweap.h21e" );
			return false;
		}
          	if ( Other.IsA('pulsegun') )
		{
			ReplaceWith(Other, "addweap.msg");
			return false; 
		}
		if ( Other.IsA('impacthammer') )
		{
		        ReplaceWith( Other, "addweap.imphammer" );
			return false;
                }
		if ( Other.IsA('UT_Eightball') )
		{
			ReplaceWith( Other, "addweap.m79" );
			return false;
		}

if ( Other.IsA('ripper') )
		{
			ReplaceWith( Other, "addweap.smokegun" );
			return false;
		} 

if ( Other.IsA('shockrifle') )
		{
			ReplaceWith( Other, "addweap.mpk5" );
			return false;
		}
		if ( Other.IsA('Minigun2') )
		{
			ReplaceWith( Other, "addweap.mac10" );
			return false;
		}
		if ( Other.IsA('Enforcer') )
		{
			ReplaceWith( Other, "addweap.mac10" );
			return false;
		}

if ( Other.IsA('UT_FlakCannon') )
		{
			ReplaceWith( Other, "addweap.xm" );
			return false;
		}

if ( Other.IsA('sniperrifle') )
		{
			ReplaceWith( Other, "addweap.hkg11");
			return false;

}
		bSuperRelevant = 0;
		return true;
	}

if ( Other.IsA('Ammo') )
	{

if (  Other.IsA('bioammo') )
		{
			ReplaceWith( Other, "addweap.h21ammo" );
			return False;
		}
		 if ( Other.IsA('pammo') )
		{
			ReplaceWith( Other, "addweap.msgammo" );
			return false;
		}
                if ( Other.IsA('Bladehopper') )
		{
			ReplaceWith( Other, "addweap.smokeammo" );
			return false;
		}
		if ( Other.IsA('shockcore') )
		{
			ReplaceWith( Other, "addweap.mpkammo" );
			return false;
		}
		if ( Other.IsA('miniammo') )
		{
			ReplaceWith( Other, "addweap.mac10ammo" );
			return false;
		}
		if ( Other.IsA('Bulletbox') )
		{
			ReplaceWith( Other, "addweap.hkg11ammo" );
			return false;
		}
		if ( Other.IsA('flakammo') )
		{
			ReplaceWith( Other, "addweap.xmammo" );
			return false;
		}
		if ( Other.IsA('rocketpack') )
		{
			ReplaceWith( Other, "addweap.m79ammo" );
			return false;
		}
		bSuperRelevant = 0;
		return true;
            }

if ( Other.IsA('tournamentpickup') )
	{

if ( Other.IsA('Armor2') )
	  {
		ReplaceWith( Other, "addweap.bulletvest" );
		return false;
	  }

if ( Other.IsA('ut_ShieldBelt') )
	  {
		ReplaceWith( Other, "addweap.bulletvest" );
		return false;
	  }

bSuperRelevant = 0;
	  return true;
       }

if ( Other.IsA('tournamenthealth') )
	{

if ( Other.IsA('MedBox') && !Other.IsA('ADMedbox') )
	  {
		ReplaceWith( Other, "addweap.ADMedbox" );
		return false;
	  }
         if ( Other.IsA('HealthVial')  )
	  {
		ReplaceWith( Other, "unrealshare.bandages" );
		return false;
	  }

bSuperRelevant = 0;
	  return true;
       }

}
Otto Kontroll
Average

Post by Otto Kontroll »

I don't understand what you mean by adding number 2. Where in my ini file should "addweap.addweap go? I don't see a section for server mutators.

And, with no disrespect, but I don't understand anything in the file you attached. I am not a programmer so a lot of this command stuff goes right over my head.

My friend tested my server and he had the same results. The custom weapons are firable but no graphics and aiming ability, along with they don't appear in the HUD.

oTTo
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Have you added ServerPackages=addweap.u to server's UnrealTournament.ini?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Otto Kontroll wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:24 pm To paraphrase, the custom weapons are there - I just can't aim them or use them normally as they are intended.

oTTo
So, apart from being able to fire them, how do you know they are there? Can you see the mesh but no textures? Do you hear the firing sounds you would expect to hear from those weapons?

Are they StartingWeapons you've assigned in your StuffSwapper config?

What does the client log say? Does it report any errors? Does it indicate that the addwep package has been downloaded and then loaded before the map comes up for play?

It is conceivable that there are issues with the adweap code. I had found one issue (health decreased on being shot in the leg with an addweap weapon and didn't increase on respawn following death) so there may be other issues - not saying there are but there may be.

In passing I would note that the StuffSwapper readme says that StuffSwapper does not need to be added to ServerPackages, though it does need to be added to the list of mutators. You don't need to add addweap to the list of mutators as this will run the addweap replacement mutator which will conflict with StuffSwapper.

Also Addweap is a mod rather than a mutator as it has custom Player/Bot classes and Gametypes (as well as pickups, etc). I can't find a readme for Addweap so there is no available info on it from the maker (who is unknown).

Finally, I have no idea how StuffSwapper works on-line - is it possible that there are differences in the StuffSwapper ini files on the server and on the client?
Otto Kontroll
Average

Post by Otto Kontroll »

I know the custom weapons are there because I can use them. I just don't see the weapon "in my hand". I only see the
projectile hitting something. For example, I can choose the Boomslayer sniper rifle, it doesn't show in my hands and I cannot scope in. But when I fire I can see where the bullets hit. The weapons are there in function just not in appearance.

And yes, server package for addweap.u is in the config file with the other server packages.

oTTo
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

So what does the client log say?

Is the Boomslayer in the ServerPackages in the server UT.ini?

Do you hear the weapon sounds? Do you get the muzzle flashes you would expect? Do you get the effects you would expect when the projectiles hit something solid?

Do you have default UT weapons in the StartingWeapons section of your StuffSwapper configuration? If not, remove all non-default UT weapons from the StuffSwapper config and add a couple of default UT weapons to the Starting Weapons section - remove all non-default UT weapons packages from the ServerPackages and/or mutators lists and try that. This will determine if StuffSwapper is actually working correctly. Save the client log so that it not overwritten when you start UT again.

If that works, try removing StuffSwapper from the serverpackages as the maker of StuffSwapper says it does not need to be included though it does need to be in the mutator list.

Then add back in addweap to the ServerPackages list and replace the default weapons in the Starting section of your StuffSwapper config with a couple of addweap weapons and see what happens. Save the client log and compare with the previous log.

Make sure that in the client UT.ini under [Core.System] that you have

;Suppress=DevLoad
exactly like this - this means that the loading of all packages will be logged.
Otto Kontroll
Average

Post by Otto Kontroll »

[quote=OjitroC post_id=147507 time=1715203049 user_id=6815

Is the Boomslayer in the ServerPackages in the server UT.ini? NO

Do you hear the weapon sounds? Do you get the muzzle flashes you would expect? Do you get the effects you would expect when the projectiles hit something solid? No, all I see is the projectiles hitting something, I can even kill a bot if I am lucky.

Do you have default UT weapons in the StartingWeapons section of your StuffSwapper configuration? YES If not, remove all non-default UT weapons from the StuffSwapper config and add a couple of default UT weapons to the Starting Weapons section - remove all non-default UT weapons packages from the ServerPackages and/or mutators lists and try that. This will determine if StuffSwapper is actually working correctly. Save the client log so that it not overwritten when you start UT again. When I use a SW config that is all standard UT weapons, everything works fine

If that works, try removing StuffSwapper from the serverpackages as the maker of StuffSwapper says it does not need to be included though it does need to be in the mutator list.

Then add back in addweap to the ServerPackages list and replace the default weapons in the Starting section of your StuffSwapper config with a couple of addweap weapons and see what happens. Save the client log and compare with the previous log. I will try this soon

Make sure that in the client UT.ini under [Core.System] that you have

;Suppress=DevLoad
exactly like this - this means that the loading of all packages will be logged.
[/quote]   
Auto merged new post submitted 18 hours 37 minutes later
BINGO - EUREKA - HOORAY

OjitroC solved it! Thank You!

It was a combination of removing StuffSwapper from the "ServerPackages" section and then adding all the non UT weapons back in as ServerPackages.

For example: "ServerPackages=AddWeap", "ServerPackages=BunnyBomber", etc.

I still have a bit of an issue with the weapons showing up in the correct HUD spots but I kind of know what to do with that now.

And as soon as I get the server all set up with this new information, I will publicize it.

Thank You to all that helped and we can consider this closed :)

oTTo