[DEMO] UT99 Extension Pack

Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: [DEMO] UT99 Extension Pack

Post by Creavion »

I talked a fews hours ago with him regarding those posts: He said, that is currently busy with preparations of his "school leaving examination" (Abitur in german).

Guys, like I said. Don`t hold your breath. You could die!
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Post by Shadow »

well well.. seems like I need to answer some questions.. :lol:

first of all: still developing
second: nowadays around 2h each day !

Feralidragon wrote:Shadow, all the time I saw your screens, but I never tried out your Demo out, waiting for the release of the complete one. I really saw and twecked a little in the effects to see what type of effects I could do, and well, sorry but: HOLY SHIT!!!! Excellent job man! The smokes, coronas, lensflares, projectors and so on... :tu:

I know you said that was only a demo and you advised to not develop anything with it right now, and it's better waiting for the complete SDK. But I don't know, I saw the smoke effects and the flame effects and the coronas and it gave me an ideia to do a real kickass nuke, but I don't know if it is going to kill performance to much. I think I will wait for the kickass complete SDK. :roll:

Now I really want that SDK man, Good Luck at developing it! :wink:
naah.. the Demo.. well.. gosh I'm ashamed by the ways I did things during that time..
but thanks, I think nobody will be unsatisfied ^^

Emperor wrote:just curious currently most of everything is at lodbias of 1 while that's ok but anything that surpasses around 10ft gradates severely & i was wondering if that will be increased so that objects that traverse distance will keep former shape and without degradation of the mesh? something around the 10 range would keep most objects looking good at farther distance, or is there going to be some sort of feature that would do better?
sorry, I kinda don't understand your request completely, if you want a mesh that isn't morphed by dynamic lod then simply import a mesh that has no lod settings at all, or, as you've already noticed, simply set up the lod bias value to suit your needs, concerning "my" mesh system (basically developed by moonangel) the meshes don't have any lod because they're like static meshes (the vertexes are static)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the current development:
- I'm mostly developing the Gameplay and RPG Systems (+ related Menus)
- reorganized the packages (around 8 now) and the allocation of the classes (see new post at the related thread)
- rewriting/overworking the projectors (that is done very quickly), sometimes I hate the decals.. really..
- tweaking the particle systems

Major Statistics:
- 8 Packages (10 when finished + 2 Custom Packs)
- around 500 classes
- loads of new textures (effects, particles etc.)
- 5 Util Classes (MainUtil, GraphicsUtil, CanvasUtil, PhysicsUtil, AIUtil)
- comprohensive Configuration Menus ("set ini" Shit was yesterday)

Planning (concerning the Native Stuff):
- OpenGL based Hardware Accelerated Particle System
- OpenGL/DirectX Hardware Shaders (up to 3.0 would be nice..), fall back for DirectX Hardware below 9.0a will be managed either by simple 8.0 stuff or "Software (CPU Accelerated) Shaders" (if your stuff is below DirectX 8 capability)
- implementing GPU/PPU Accelerated Physics Engine (dunno which to take from all of those available, thinking of PhysX, since I have a modern NVidia Card :D)
- implementing GPU Accelerated, real Projective Texture Mapping
- High Dynamic Range Lighting (Bloom sucks I think..)

what I can't promise:
- implementing Per-Pixel-Lighting using Pixel Shaders, I think for that I really have to undermine the old engine...
- ergo Normal Mapping and Displacement Mapping
- ergo Shadow Mapping Techniques
- Ambient Occlusion Mapping

I should be now at 80 %... so when the RPG System is finished I will finally finally publish a huge update.
15 % will be consumed by difficult C++/Native Coding and other stuff, and 5 % by debugging/tweaking/cleaning EVERYTHING up, I really hope I'm able to implement Hardware Shaders.. if it takes too long, I'll add that major feature with an update
so development goes into the final stage... oh and then the documentation.. omg.. but I will first release the SDK as-is and then the docu, so initial development might be difficult.. (like..you're gonna face kicked with 6 particle systems..).

aaahh and Feralidragon, by the way, do you feel ambitious and willing enough joining me developing the SDK together ? From Creavion's reports I know you are quite good programmer... what do you think ? (or anybody else feeling qualified ?)

preferred specializations:
- network/replication programming
- AI programming
- vehicle programming
- physics programming
- C++/Native Coding
- documentation experiences (a helping hand doing the docu)
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Shadow wrote: aaahh and Feralidragon, by the way, do you feel ambitious and willing enough joining me developing the SDK together ? From Creavion's reports I know you are quite good programmer... what do you think ? (or anybody else feeling qualified ?)

preferred specializations:
- network/replication programming
- AI programming
- vehicle programming
- physics programming
- C++/Native Coding
- documentation experiences (a helping hand doing the docu)
First off, I'm glad you gave more news, and thanks for the invitation :D

Now about joining you, I simply can't due to some few reasons:
1 - Although I had relativelly plenty of time some months ago to do several things at once (weapon mods, support in the mappack, etc), now I barelly have time even do something regarding any simple update or coding request.

2 - Creavion perhaps exaggerated regarding my coding skills and knowledge, because this level of coding you require is beyond what I can achieve, at least at my current state.
And from your prefered specializations:

- network/replication programming - The one thing only know to a very limited extent, and still today I have some mods with some parts not working correctly online, although they seem to be simple. My worst nightmare, and one of the reasons I will turn to SP.

- AI programming - Almost a zero on this (although I have to know this in the near future)

- vehicle programming - Although I am also developing one system of this, I started off with .:..:'s vehicle system (he quited the UScript version, I asked him to continue the system myself for my sp, and he gave me the entire source and all, and it's what I am still tweaking and developing right now). And I know you saw his system (tried it), and from what you said you will use native c++ for some functions, and a total different aproach regarding the entire system, as for instance: .:..: used quartenation and a few gravity/traction functions in order to work, and yours use full physics, traction, binary, and a lot of real elements to be considered, plus you plan to add MP support, and the same story repeats here: I won't bother to add MP support to my own version now, since it's for SP only, although I already really many many changes and enhancements, specially regarding modding support and physics (Creavion has what is now an outdated copy of my own version [outdated because many more enhancements were given], and you might see that I already have done there and the differences from the old .:..:'s system, which compared to your system aren't that big of deal, but for me they were a good achievement).
Also, the funny thing about all this is that I don't even know exactly what a quartenion is :lol2:

- physics programming - This involves a good knowledge in physics, and collision calculations from what I know (volumes and so), something I don't have.

- C++/Native Coding - I think I don't need to say I really don't know any of this LOL

- documentation experiences (a helping hand doing the docu) - This is better done by several people, rather than just one, so one can actually build the info, another organize it the best way and another correct any english grammar kicks given in the docs.

So in the end, the only things that could be interesting for the SDK, and which I did already or will do for my SP are: overlayers, dynamic coronas/lensflares (not using the HUD, but also no blending as you might imagine), a different way/aproach for high performance particles using UScript (but not near as flexible as a normal particle emitter, but good enough to look right and fast), some other kinds of effects, some objects for mapping (like new zones and movers also), etc, basically a mini SDK of my own for my own usage and for who might want it as well, and not something this complete like your SDK (for example, I won't do projectors or other kinds of stuff I saw on your SDK, not because I don't like or anything, but since the overall quality of my SP has to be balanced and the system stable enough for some older rigs).

3 - The third reason is that I am currently developing my own SP pack, with several new stuff (including that quartenions based vehicle system and the mini-SDK I said above). And joining this with reason 1, it takes pretty much all the modding time I have (trying to dig out some exception times in the case of some scripts or updates like UTR for example).

4 - Even if I have time and no mods to do, and even with some of the knowledge/skills needed, your "going out and return" cycles without saying anything to anybody at all makes me kinda step back in this as well. I mean, I don't know if there is going to be a time soon like the ones you had as almost quiting. I know you have your life as I have mine, but most of the time you don't say anything to anybody, and things have to be clear to everyone on what the hell is happenning in those moments, because as you might imagine, no one guesses them (I mean, even TCO is always about to be released, but they still give news, and some shots times to times).
And this was the reason I started to develop activelly everything I might ever need for my own SP and for any SP mapper that might want to use them as well, not thinking in the release of this anymore. I know this involves a hell lot of work, but you should be a bit more respectfull regarding people that wants to use this system, although you're making it in your free time for free (at least I respect them to the point of warning people when I can't do anything for a while), otherwise one day you might release the full kickass SDK, but then most mappers and modders quited the game because they were waiting the SDK for so long, when they could have developed stuff in the meanwhile and develop with this now if they were warned and respected.

I really hope that you do find some coders to help you out because this project really needs them, and I "might" (not "will use it certainly" anymore due to the lack of info during 1.5 years, and since I had to move on because of that) use the SDK also when released.
But for now, I advice you to start warn people or show them you're alive and kicking to keep the people interested (no need to update all forums with detailed info or anything, just a "hi there <new screenshot>" in this area is enough to spread the word), otherwise this pack won't get the usage and popularity it deserves, and then all the work would be for nothing, and we shouldn't let that to happen.

So, good luck in finding someone up to this project so you can finish the excellent work so far.
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

ok dude, at first thanks for your comprehensive explanation, and also thanks for your advices.. you're really right, and for some weeks now I'm working everyday again on the SDK and I'll ty to keep people informed.. like yesterday !
Emperor
Average
Personal rank: Rtma Eros Paragon

Post by Emperor »

Do my Eyes Deceive me? Are you continuing this Project?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Emperor wrote:Do my Eyes Deceive me? Are you continuing this Project?
He is continuing ...right now are beta tests for the SDK
look http://www.ut99.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2412
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

Yes it's definitely active, since November it was going through an evolution, most of it's stuff is C++ stuff now (but still Open Source of course), never had such good progress with anything :loool:
robin13
Experienced
Personal rank: NaliSlayer

Post by robin13 »

man wish i could help with Unreal Avatar but
UnrealAvatar Gameplay System

Associated Package(s):

•sdkUnrealAvatar.u
•sdkCore.u / sdkCore.dll
•sdkXMenus.u / sdkXMenus.dll

Required Skill(s):
•Complex UnrealScript Skills/Knowledge Shit shit shit shit shit,i cant script at all -.-
•Advanced Knowledge in Unreal (map) Editing

Official Beta-Tester: Unregistered
:pfff: im a good mapper but seriously all i can is make a modded weapon from a default weapon. :pfff: :roll:
and:
Do my Eyes Deceive me? Are you continuing this Project?
lol ur kinda late,he is working on it again since like 5~6 months :agree1:
Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.
Napoleon Bonaparte
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

UnrealAvatar Gameplay System

Associated Package(s):

• sdkUnrealAvatar.u
• sdkCore.u / sdkCore.dll
• sdkXMenus.u / sdkXMenus.dll

Required Skill(s):
• Complex UnrealScript Skills/Knowledge
• Advanced Knowledge in Unreal (map) Editing

Official Beta-Tester: Unregistered
That will be a tough one to find someone who combines those 2 together to beta-test it properly anyway... :?
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

Hm maybe I should take care of it myself.. and just take someone as my assistant
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

I have to confess that I don't really understand what this UnrealAvatar thingy is, and what exactly is it doing?
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

papercoffee wrote:I have to confess that I don't really understand what this UnrealAvatar thingy is, and what exactly is it doing?
Ditto - you aren't alone! :P
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

papercoffee wrote:I have to confess that I don't really understand what this UnrealAvatar thingy is, and what exactly is it doing?
it features new gameplay scripts and classes to design projects with other gametypes than standard fps and with deeper gameplay, especially speaking of RPGs, also 3rd-person, adventures, strategy, but is mostly focussed on RPGs, enhanced AI, world simulation and interaction
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Shadow wrote:.....strategy !!! .....
...like C&C or Dune2 ???
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

yes, but keep in mind, that the Avatar Package only contains basic code since all these gametypes concerning a project only allow a very specific per-Project implementation, limiting on to extensive basic code would also limit the possibilities