Question.. Server Hosting ... recomendations

Do you want to say something about UT99.org?
[JAG]Teabag
Skilled
Personal rank: Clan Server Admin

Question.. Server Hosting ... recomendations

Post by [JAG]Teabag »

Hey Guys/Gals

Recently the Clan I belong to was looking for a new Server Host we found one , BUT soon discovered things wernt quite what the seem, or should i say wasnt quite what we expected.

I think a Good Addition to this site, since it has many varied UT99 Game types and admins browse here, would be to have a sub forum dedicated to advertising the Host you rent from.
giving them a rating out of 10 for the game type you have. Nothing to be posted which is liable...

Name - addy of website link
features offered
what game type you have, Camper/monsterhunt/Freezetag/Sniper/CTF/ect.

Hosted in what country
Global System
Global redirect
ftp access
Good Support
use of Bots in Server
use of monsters
web admin
quick response for admin support

any dis-likes about the host, (not to be used for flaming)

reason i post this request is to help others find a host, they are happy with recomendation.
rather than take a chance and end up with a poor host for there needs. (for the Game types they use).

for example.

our host did not say there was no ftp access to control your own server.
instead they control with an online system web page based, its Great, easy to use.. (once you get used to it)
has instant effect of re starting the server after you make changes, you can go back to previous changes ect.
but has the draw back of any files needing upload.. they actually put things in the directorys required which takes time. so mods ect are not instant when you upload to there system.

For us, setting up a server with with custom things on there global based system was difficult.
but for a non custom sniper server its would be awsome everything you ever need mod is there ready for use.
after getting our server as we wanted it i recieved an email saying "no Bots" allowed to be used in the server as they effect load balancing, yet theres no advertising of this.

there service is very good, but we may not have gone with them had we known in advance what we know now!

What do you think ?
Last edited by [JAG]Teabag on Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..Image
Shade
Site Admin
Personal rank: Founder of UT99.org

Re: Question.. Server Hosting ... recomendations

Post by Shade »

I think thats a very good suggestion. Not more to say about that. :P

Is it okay if i start a thread (maybe sticky) in the server category? There we can collect different hosts and discuss about them
UT99.org Discord Server: https://discord.gg/6CP2UjZ
UT Server Browser: https://ut99.org/servers
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

Shade wrote:I think thats a very good suggestion. Not more to say about that. :P

Is it okay if i start a thread (maybe sticky) in the server category? There we can collect different hosts and discuss about them
I think that wll be usefull, but ask teabag first ;) but 10 gametypes? pretty much to be honest
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Shade
Site Admin
Personal rank: Founder of UT99.org

Post by Shade »

I think you understood it wrong. He doesnt say "10 gametypes"
giving them a rating out of 10 for the game type you have
UT99.org Discord Server: https://discord.gg/6CP2UjZ
UT Server Browser: https://ut99.org/servers
[JAG]Teabag
Skilled
Personal rank: Clan Server Admin

Post by [JAG]Teabag »

Shade,
feel free to start the topic, I just feel it could be of use to the comunity and give them a heads up, different hosts offer different things.. some may be more suited to certain game types within UT99

As you have seen the host we have gone to, has some great features with there online system but, we came from managing our own via ftp having full control... so if we wanted to stay up till silly oclock uploading and testing things it wasnt a problem. if there were issues we could resolve them ourselves by trying diferent things. But with this new host everything is done for you which takes extra time... however there are advantages for instance we dont need to compress files to .uz for redirect as they also do all that.
for a new comer to being a server admin its a great help, but for those who have experienced FTP control its like having your hands cut off...
..Image
Fuzz_Ball
Experienced
Personal rank: Harmless

Post by Fuzz_Ball »

Interesting topic, TB.
Although this thread has some dust on it, I'll be glad to add my 2 cents.

That's pretty weird how your server host is so restrictive. I'd perfer FTP access to my files so that I can see what's there and remove what shouldn't be.

Recently, there were some uploads that got corrupted. The files were present but not the correct size. It took a lot of tedious comparison to figure out the problem. How could you do that without direct access to files and their properties?

I run an MH server and use gameservers.com. They offer server slots at a discounted rate, just look around for available servers on "sale". Service is good as long as you open a ticket with them and describe in some detail your problem.

They are Linux based and you do run into a minor snag with case sensitivity that Windows seems oblivious to. Also, the startup script editor takes a little getting used to.

Things are running fairly smoothly at Fuzz_Ball's Funhouse for the time being.
* * * Image * * *