Reviving UT Movement

General Announcements about Unreal Tournament and UT99.org
EA_Elemental
Novice
Personal rank: Learning mapper?

Re: Reviving UT Movement

Post by EA_Elemental »

Well since we have many things to do, i have a small host that i can put a few files up if needed (it's not big so nothing huge), I run a test server if we are to test anyhing if we want to make something new to show off, i have administrated a few servers, i have slight coding knowledge, can make a few basic codes and stuff, can map to extent, also have many friends in the UT2004 community and a few of them i know play UT99, i'll see if i can get them to join this cause.

For any other oppinions, i dont really have any currently, i think that there should be no decisive measure as to who's "In Charge" i should be a community of equality, and we gotta remember that Epic is the real "Big Boss" in this plan. Since we are gonna need time to get this all underway i suggest we try maybe making a new website for people to join so we can keep track of how many people we are gonna have to support us, It's a big thing, but i think we can pull this off!

If not we will just :face: and have been exactly the same as top gear; "Ambitious, But Rubbish!"
Acid.OMG
Adept
Personal rank: XFIRE: mmmmtoasty

Post by Acid.OMG »

can't read too dizzy, but good luck
[/Awesome]
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, point of the situtation:

I posted this in several active and not that active forums and communities, and most people didn't give a damn, others don't like the idea, others simply don't want to do a thing, others just want to slowlly fade out, others simply don't want to hear, etc, and only a very small amount was willing to help somewhat, even AFTER I placed there a little "to do list" like people wanted.

I waited and waited and waited for an answer from this site admin and I didn't get it.
I waited and waited and waited for more help, ideas, etc, but no more people actually said something.

So my conclusion: I tried to push this wagon and see if it could move by itself with you, but instead what happenned is that I always pushed the wagon, and therefore I won't push it anymore. So, if you want to go ahead and continue with this, go ahead. I am tired of pushing the wagon and still being bashed in some places for it, and therefore I won't support this anymore.

I'm personally tired to see lazy people which the opinion only would help, and that complain afterwards about whatever reason, I am tired to see certain forums that just care about themselves and not for the game anymore, I am seriouslly tired to see my efforts as a waste of time in several forums as well, and still being flamed and bashed for it.

So I will just go to "my little corner" and finish developing my last few mods and playing the game while I still can, and so anything "improving UT" or "reviving UT" related, at least I won't be there anymore, since it was completelly a waste of time for me.

So, I wish trully Good Luck for the ones who still want to do this somewhere.
Sergeant Todd
Adept
Personal rank: Retired Jedi

Post by Sergeant Todd »

Thanks for your efforts, Ferali....and they weren't in vain...people I know who had already put the game away, are reinstalling it again, since UT2 and 3 bombed...
btw before I forget, UT2004 and UT3 Mapper Hazel Whorley just redid DM-Chizra and DM-Subterrane for UT99 (sorry, I don't have the link handy). Google it up maybe.

I personally will keep my UT99 voicepacks over at Levels4You.com, but if the community does come up with a central map/mod site for all things UT99, I'll move them there.

We just all need to keep in touch through the forums about what's up. :D
Sergeant Todd
---------------

"I miss Olmos & BG, as a matter of frak'd!"
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

Feralidragon wrote:Well, point of the situtation:

I posted this in several active and not that active forums and communities, and most people didn't give a damn, others don't like the idea, others simply don't want to do a thing, others just want to slowlly fade out, others simply don't want to hear, etc, and only a very small amount was willing to help somewhat, even AFTER I placed there a little "to do list" like people wanted.

I waited and waited and waited for an answer from this site admin and I didn't get it.
I waited and waited and waited for more help, ideas, etc, but no more people actually said something.

So my conclusion: I tried to push this wagon and see if it could move by itself with you, but instead what happenned is that I always pushed the wagon, and therefore I won't push it anymore. So, if you want to go ahead and continue with this, go ahead. I am tired of pushing the wagon and still being bashed in some places for it, and therefore I won't support this anymore.

I'm personally tired to see lazy people which the opinion only would help, and that complain afterwards about whatever reason, I am tired to see certain forums that just care about themselves and not for the game anymore, I am seriouslly tired to see my efforts as a waste of time in several forums as well, and still being flamed and bashed for it.

So I will just go to "my little corner" and finish developing my last few mods and playing the game while I still can, and so anything "improving UT" or "reviving UT" related, at least I won't be there anymore, since it was completelly a waste of time for me.

So, I wish trully Good Luck for the ones who still want to do this somewhere.
need a tissue?
Retired.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

He is only speaking the truth and I can completly understand him, no need for bashing. At least he tried to change something, unlike most of the others who want to keep ut alive but don`t do anything. So he has every right to complain about the situation after he tried it.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
TheDane
Masterful

Post by TheDane »

yes i know exactly how he feels, but it was a friendly gesture to offer him a tissue, because that's the only thing that would help him i think?

I try my best to keep it alive also, i run into the same issues as him every time .... come on .. he try one idea, it fails and he cries.

When you decide to do something you do it, you have to push it all the way to the finish line, he failed that. Starting something is far from finishing it. Like everything else in life it's hard work and time consuming, so chose your battles with that in mind.
Retired.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Friendly gesture? To me this was like "you cry like a baby". This was completly unnecessary. Well then, I wanna see how you want to manage it. I mean, you are surely a big ut1 fan, too. So, what do you want to try?
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

TheDane wrote:yes i know exactly how he feels, but it was a friendly gesture to offer him a tissue, because that's the only thing that would help him i think?

I try my best to keep it alive also, i run into the same issues as him every time .... come on .. he try one idea, it fails and he cries.

When you decide to do something you do it, you have to push it all the way to the finish line, he failed that. Starting something is far from finishing it. Like everything else in life it's hard work and time consuming, so chose your battles with that in mind.
First off, I didn't want to reply that one above about the "tissue" because I thought it wouldn't worth it or even usefull in any way.
But since this continued, let me tell you that you don't know what's happenning and you certainly don't know "how I feel" in all this.
From what I have seen so far you tried to keep the game alive with mods and other mutators only, since personally I didn't see anything else. I tried to go way more far, I tried to make some communities to know others, events, get some info, etc, to make the community bigger as a whole and not shattered into little pieces.

This WASN'T anyhow the first time I attempted this. I tried to make people know other communities, new stuff, I tried to inform people about lots of events that could make the community actually participate, etc. I even went to BU asking what was the situation of NC, which I hoped not only get an answer, but make people curious as well and willing to help.
I even tried and still try all kinds of servers I find, to see what's good, what's bad, what's still alive and kicking.
Then Myth had a great idea, and with that idea I thought that we could finally manage people gathering together to be accomplished, not only Myth's idea, as something that could seriously motivate people (community and regular players) to join in one spot, know eachothers, have a download center, reviews of all kinds, etc.
So I, with some hope, informed all the communities and clans I was registered in (except one or another for reasons some people know) and the results I described above.
I told some people that I would give until the beggining of this year, or half of it, to wait for replies of people who could give just their 2 cents, nothing more than that.

Well, until now no one stepped in, the admin is busy until the end of times, and I wouldn't be the only one trying this alone because I know people very well to know that I would be bashed and flamed for it (it already happened several times, believe it or not).

So as you see, I tried to take this project until the end, but I can't do anything more than what I did already. It should be done by many more people, people that can be organized and mature enough, but the amount of people expected or even interest didn't took even half of the total of expections.

So, since I fully respect those people that wanted to help, and since they could be waiting for a green light to move, instead of leaving them in the shadows, not giving any news or a damn to them, I informed as shown above that I wouldn't make any further efforts for this, ever, and the reasons why. Because you see, unlike some people, when I try to start something and see it can't be accomplished anymore, I inform them so and why, at least regarding my motives. If you can't understand that, I don't care either.

So I wasn't "crying" of any sort, and you can keep your tissues with you, I was just informing them something and why, because I am the type of the man who don't leave people behind as objects once something doesn't work out.

My mistake here was simple: being a modder, mapper and try to do something regarding the community, without even adding the smallest trace of my doings. Result: I was flamed, bashed, they throw my works to my face when I never mentioned them in this kind of subjects and others stay watching not giving a damn, plus most communities only care about themselves or don't care at all.

And so, from now on, I will just keep playing, and anything I do from now on is either for myself, for people I actually trust and I know they worth my time now, or simply for single player in general. Anything community related, or even multiplayer, I will only give a damn to my own clan some times, and just finish what still needs to be supported, and that's all. I had more stuff in mind to do, regarding personal projects and the community in general, but I simply won't, at least for this game.

And in a last quote, someone said and very well said to me: "No one asked your help", from the same people that was actually fading out, and even "Congratulations, you created a *..." from the same people that wanted something new, but that wanted the old back as well, kinda hard to understand these people.

So tell me from here, what do you think it worths to be done in all this if people either don't give a damn or even blame you for something which only intent was to help (mostly when they agreed at the beggining).

It's pretty f*cked up, isn't it?

nuff said
VRN|C-18
Skilled

Post by VRN|C-18 »

everything you postulate exists already.. thers a host of communities with diverse tasks like modding, leveling or competing. however theyre not forged into one big community.. it is kinda impossible, just like the american idea of a new world order. you cant just reinvent the wheel, ther are many wheels that support the UT gaming scene, i dont understand why this idea of agony was brought up, seriously. go with what you have and make the best of it instead of spreading out to new objectives you cannot complete. i hope you learned that good ideas alone are not sufficient for good projects. ther never was a need for your project, thats why noone or nearly noone supported it.
peace
Needle + UT + Sex = Life and some Blood -_-
banner made by myth 8)
what the fuck.. september11 woke me up.
rohitggarg
Adept
Personal rank: The name is Bu||et

Post by rohitggarg »

Can we not do something for people like me who are always hungry for updates. Maybe whosoever is making something new should get captured at one place which is like some kinda 'NEWS'. Maybe we can ask shade for adding a news section or thread to which people add stuff which they come across while playing on servers or maybe get from some other sites. I know there is this moddb site which has pretty much all the mods but they are like random stuff people create and doesn't have info about something which is upcoming.

I do appreciate the feeling that Dane has for Ferali, but the point here is that hez not feeling sad rather hez amazed at people not even trying to invest their time when they have plenty for shit's sake :P.
TheDane wrote:need a tissue?
Regards,
Rohit

CATCH ME IF YOU CAN.............

My website : http://www.appointmentagent.com
TheDane
Masterful

Post by TheDane »

Ferali, you live in a fantasy world, if you want to succeed in real life you need to take action, going arround on a million forums just spreading the word will do nothing. If you want to open a new place the thing to do is:

1. rent a webhotel
2. rent a domain name
3. attach the domain name to your webhotel (you'll find that often step 1-3 are done when renting your webhotel, nice eh?)
4. Setup your domain
4.1 forum?
4.2 files?
4.3 review site?
4.4 services?
4.4.1 redirect?
4.4.2 statistics?
4.4.3 teamspeak/ventrilo?

and the list goes on!

friggin just speaking about IT will get you NOWHERE!

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

people only follow he who actualy get it going, and only when they actualy see that he gets it going.
Retired.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

@VRN|C-18: No, not everything exists. It already existed for some of the things I talked about. Most of them sure, but in a very small scale. Plus, the point was only to create a central, with links for everywhere, with all the stuff divided by all the communities, but still a center where people came and could find what they wanted, others talk about what they wanted in UT, etc, but still keep and even enhancing all the other supportive communities.
Are you understanding now the idea?

@rohitggarg and TheDane: The point is, I would keep going with this and take action, I had already planned some stuff, create new sections, organize all this up, etc (ask the mods, I talked with them regarding this and I started to organize everything). The problem is, like I said previouslly, Shade is busy until the end of times, so he can't do nothing, and he don't even reply to my PMs giving a negative or positive reply! WHAT THE F*CK DO YOU WANT ME TO DO IN THESE CONDITIONS? Plus, I would create that community myself, the problem is: I simply can't, I can't afford them even for the first month, I don't even have knowledge to do something viable in that direction. The only thing I could do, and place that in those heads, was to try to promote all the surrounding communities and see who with that will, knowledge, time, etc, could help building it. Problem is, either everyone is waiting for eachothers, or for an update from myself when I said I would contact the admin of this forum to know his position in all this. But guess what: I had no response whatsoever, so I can't do nothing, and also no one else is giving a damn.
So no, I don't live in a fantasy world, if I could take action, I would, but I am very limited in that direction, and without anyone giving a damn or helping in that action, I can't do this anymore.

Imagine this as a big cake. You want to do it, you even know how to do a few things on it, but still you need more knowledge from people that has it, their support/help. But then only a few people are willing to help, and you alone just can't afford a new cake. What are you going to do? Keep hitting on it? Specially when you are criticized for it? I don't think so.

If you still didn't understand clearlly the situation, then don't bother.
TheDane
Masterful

Post by TheDane »

Feralidragon wrote:If you still didn't understand clearlly the situation, then don't bother.
I understand it completely, though it sounds to me you dont yourself.

You just nailed it, you failed because the remaining active people of the UT community just wants to play and not develope. And those still developing are happy where they are.
Retired.
[did]Madis
Adept
Personal rank: カニはとても美味しい

Post by [did]Madis »

Sorry I didn't post anything for two weeks, Holiday Season and all, and I was basically waiting for an update from this site's owner. Anyway, guys, stop whining.
VRN|C-18 wrote:everything you postulate exists already.. thers a host of communities with diverse tasks like modding, leveling or competing. however theyre not forged into one big community.. it is kinda impossible, just like the american idea of a new world order. you cant just reinvent the wheel, ther are many wheels that support the UT gaming scene, i dont understand why this idea of agony was brought up, seriously. go with what you have and make the best of it instead of spreading out to new objectives you cannot complete. i hope you learned that good ideas alone are not sufficient for good projects. ther never was a need for your project, thats why noone or nearly noone supported it.
peace
You missed the whole idea. A central news hub with map and mod reviews and forums for discussion would be a great place where UT modders can come together to share their work and pump new life into the already existing scene, creating more smaller wheels. It's not to sustain the old, it's to generate new.
Feralidragon wrote:Plus, I would create that community myself, the problem is: I simply can't, I can't afford them even for the first month, I don't even have knowledge to do something viable in that direction. The only thing I could do, and place that in those heads, was to try to promote all the surrounding communities and see who with that will, knowledge, time, etc, could help building it. Problem is, either everyone is waiting for eachothers, or for an update from myself when I said I would contact the admin of this forum to know his position in all this. But guess what: I had no response whatsoever, so I can't do nothing, and also no one else is giving a damn.
So no, I don't live in a fantasy world, if I could take action, I would, but I am very limited in that direction, and without anyone giving a damn or helping in that action, I can't do this anymore.
Ferali, how about some common sense? No one asked you to come up with the entire community by pulling it all out of your own ass. Of course you couldn't afford it, barely any of us could fund this all by themselves. That's why you need to find support not just in the form of dedicated members, but financial.

TheDane gave a pretty much good todo list, an actual one you need to work at.
TheDane wrote: 1. rent a webhotel
2. rent a domain name
3. attach the domain name to your webhotel (you'll find that often step 1-3 are done when renting your webhotel, nice eh?)
4. Setup your domain
4.1 forum?
4.2 files?
4.3 review site?
4.4 services?
4.4.1 redirect?
4.4.2 statistics?
4.4.3 teamspeak/ventrilo?

and the list goes on!
Steps 1-3 - Getting the domain. All you require for this is some money. Since it's not cheap, just ask around for people who're willing to chip in. I'm sure there's plenty who are willing to donate and some who're willing to contribute enough as partners. You can count on me chipping in and I'm sure a number of people from UT-SLV would be willing to, also. Now is also the time to find some coders and site designer people that are willing to help out with creating the site and coding in the features.

4 - 4.3 are just getting a forum ready. At first it'd just be news and general sections + placeholders for features to come and hosted forums for various mods. During this process, when the site already exists you can start advertising it and look for people who would be willing to help with reviewing all the existing maps that will be included in the map archive (to pretty much create a new map review site) and who would also be willing to review newly created maps. Such a review site will hopefully get some new life in the mapping scene.

By the time we get to 4.4 we should have the site with basic functions ready. Forums are up and we could offer hosting space for developing mod teams with their own forum and webpages, etc. Services could be expanded all the time when the site designers come up with a new idea or something.

This is how I imagine 4.4.x - If MSuLL comes trough with making Universal Unreal truly universal - basically creating a master server or something that can connect all the UU mini-universes together so that you can have buddies and server-to-server communication across all the various UU networks, then we can add multiplayer services. If the new UU has global communication support, then connecting the different multiplayer gaming scenes will be a lot easier.

For now, start with step 1. Let's figure out how much cash is needed to get the site going and who're willing to create it and code the features.

Go.
Support Nuclear Races by visiting our ModDB profile