ShamuQuest revival - RECRUITING!

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Re: ShamuQuest revival - RECRUITING!

Post by GenMoKai »

I think its better to also put that shot in the past post, instead of only the first one... Poeple are lazy to go back to the first page

1. Daggers for the SkaarjTrooper class.
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Delacroix
Adept
Personal rank: UMS R&D CEO

Post by Delacroix »

You're right... I'll be posting updates in new posts also, then.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

BTW: How do you imagine those swamp maps? (so Map 4 and 9)
At least I think they could have a cool ambience with "Vortex" or "Crater" as music.
Are they supposed to look different? And is your project only supposed to be for UT or do you want to use 227 only features as a special 227 version, too?
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Post by Shadow »

Delacroix wrote:OK, Shadow then. The other rework would include a Nali class (one variant will be later modeled as a female, but you might start working on a default Nali class) to become aggressive.

Variant 1: The female Nali: is to circle around the player, throwing alternate ASMD bolts or lightning bolts, summon a skaarj team composed of 3 Skaarj Lords at a time (when below 50% HP) and form small tornadoes homing at the player.

Variant 2: The Dark Nali Priest: stands still on the ground, throwing four dark bolts at the player and teleporting around the area after each bolt set was fired. Occasionally, this one is supposed to throw two exploding firebombs and teleport away.
About the effects, like the tornado, well I do know how to code them, but how do you want them to look ? Like a bunch of circles merged along Z-axis ? or particle like ? or shall I simply generate an empty projectile class and someone else fills the gap ? However I would offer the SDK for the whole project, if yeah.. if it would be at a state of overall stability... damn

Well nethertheless I begin work this weekend
Delacroix
Adept

Post by Delacroix »

@Creavion

Your tips will be passed to the mapper who gets to work on the swamp levels, but here goes the description of the first, the Black Swamp:

Previously it was a temple complex but what's left is so scarce that perhaps only the oldest Nali priests remember how it looked. Now it's just a big, dark, murky swamp with a few broken walls here and there, perhaps a really demolished statue. What is most important is that Ssolursa the Nali Mage, one of the more important figures in the story resides here.

The swamp is so vast it will take more than one map. One area is: sswamp1.unr, the actual Black Swamp level, the other being sancient2, a "Shadar-Logoth"-style temple city, still in ruins but way better preserved than what is left at sswamp1.unr which most likely was only suburbia... One of the major bosses will be fought here.

I have not fully devised a concept for the Eastern Swamp level yet, but I guess that it would be prudent to make it more "forest like", less dark.

As for the project's target platform, initially I planned an UT only release, but I will not mind someone porting it to Unreal 227, really :)

@Shadow

The tornado is supposed to look like a small tornado indeed, IDK if you played Daemon Vector, but the witch boss Ragana sometimes throws a tornado that you have to dodge. Generally, it's a dark, thin, tall air vortex homing on the player. That's how this is supposed to look.

As for the SDK, I would gladly accept parts of it being used, as long as they are fully ready by the time the pack gets released :) Which is in a year's time if nothing fails.
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

Ah ok, I try do build up the 2 pawn classes first and then fill out the FX

In one year ? Well... until then the SDK will be much optimized, so yeah why not use it when the Open Beta comes out (around june)
Delacroix
Adept

Post by Delacroix »

You are free to use this SDK of yours at will and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for this contribution.
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

hehe, so ShamuQuest will be the first official project using the SDK

I already have a solution for version mismatches, that may occure, when someone, who has an inferior or superior build of the SDK than the one used in ShamuQuest:

We simply rename the used files of the current build we use, at the time the SDK is implemented into ShamuQuest, adding *_Build_BuildNumber to the files (eg sdkCore_Build_518.u)...

lol wait no... until then the SDK won't need that anyway, since it has it's own directory (just renaming the directory with that Build name specifier as seen for UDK)... man I'm just that much headfucked..

However, we really shouldn't use the SDK until the first Open Beta Build.
Delacroix
Adept

Post by Delacroix »

Um, no, for version mismatches we will just make a notice that ShamuQuest users should redownload the SDK :P It's always healthier to upgrade XD
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

Ok, makes the download of ShamuQuest a bit smaller ^^
Delacroix
Adept

Post by Delacroix »

Perhaps it does, perhaps it doesn't. There are three distributions planned of FCBP and SQ.

1. FCBP lite (Forgotten Classics BP w/o ShamuQuest or SDK)
2. ShamuQuest standalone full (does not require FCBP, includes OldSkool and SDK)
3. FCBP full (includes ShamuQuest and it's prereuisites, OldSkool AND SDK)
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

Will you create a ModDB page ? My experiences says: pimping at ModDB is effective ^^
Delacroix
Adept

Post by Delacroix »

I will, at one point. Perhaps tomorrow? I'm planning a big update day in a while, could be as good a deadline as any. :)
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

good boy ;)

I've learned that the majority of users and other developers is very open minded there, you might receive more attention there, than at any unreal-related community... *cough*

Oh and I will link to the ShamuQuest Page at my SDK's Page of course

//edit: May you also have a need for the SDK for the other parts of the Forgotten Classics Bonus Pack ?
Delacroix
Adept

Post by Delacroix »

Now that you mention it, I probably will, but it will be used heavily in SQ mostly. :)