[INFO] Development Journal

robin13
Experienced
Personal rank: NaliSlayer

Re: [INFO] Development Journal

Post by robin13 »

Shadow wrote: yeah it's a good feeling, even if it's not fully completed yet, but yeah it's going public... and that's what counts
party location might be a problem, since I live in germany xD
ok everybody but tickets for 30-05-2010 for Hallen Germany (is there a airfield? no,then we use a parachute.)
and get ready to party XD. :rock:
Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.
Napoleon Bonaparte
Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Post by Shadow »

Yes we got a rather big airport "Airport Halle/Leipzig" ^^

ok.. back.. to some development, and learning ... have to take my A Level this week :ironic2:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

What about a online Party everyone grab a beer (or whatever) and comes online on a server to celebrate the SDK.
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

Ha ha, I suggest I make a physics test map, that is so fucking ugly, but loaded with objects to play around.. funny thing is just, I dunno if I'll finish the physics engine until then.. :omfg: vehicle crash map would be that mega funny too.. :ironic2: (garry's mod anyone ?)
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Shadow wrote:vehicle crash map would be that mega funny too.. :ironic2:
Ok I make one ....but how ...I have the Idea of a map but... don't know how to implement your physical effects. ( ...maybe later I have the know-how)

we make it so:
I build the Map and you put in the vehicles + physics and many of your effects ...what do you think?
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

papercoffee wrote:
Shadow wrote:vehicle crash map would be that mega funny too.. :ironic2:
Ok I make one ....but how ...I have the Idea of a map but... don't know how to implement your physical effects. ( ...maybe later I have the know-how)

we make it so:
I build the Map and you put in the vehicles + physics and many of your effects ...what do you think?
sound like a plan, since I think UT needs a Mod that is far away from the FPS + some idea concept

I'm not promissing the following: but I'm planning to implement heightmapped terrain to allow the mappers to generate random terrains at runtime... rendering wouldn't be that problem.. if not for the engine integration and interaction :ironic2:

luckily the next build updates and fixes most issues concerning the integration of the new basic stuff (volumes, new levelinfo, vehicle list, new iterators etc)

concerning the physics: they're not yet finished, currently I don't know where to start and to stop with this stuff, prefering the vehicles or new physics in general.. hm

but well.. just let's see how much I manage to finish for the first public release, maybe we could use your idea as example mini-mod, and extend that concept in case the audience likes it
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Ok my Idea ...a vehicle crash ctf ...you have to jump in a vehicle (I don't know what models are available?)
You catch the enemy flag by drive over it ...the enemy has to ram you to take the flag back and return to the base.
you now turn around and hunt 'em down and ram the enemy to take the flag again... and so on.
But your vehicle is not invulnerably. Depend on the vehicle type you are faster but more vulnerable or slower but consumes more damage.
If your vehicle get crashed you will die and spawn in your base where you have to catch another vehicle.

In this Idea you can put much of your effects and show what you have done.

But as I told ...I can only make the Map :(
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

Which models are available ? which ? Dunno... I am a Programmer, not a Doctor eeerrrr Modeller
I just make the basic vehicle code available, not the vehicles themself

I like the Idea so far, one map has to be enough for that mini-mod at first, since the SDK definitely will have vehicle support that mod is realizable indeed, we'll get the map, we'll get the needed code.. but who models the vehicles ?
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

Ok folks... surprisingly today is the darkest day of the SDK, Jay Wilbur (Vice President, Epic Games) mailed me.
He requested me to cancel the SDK and any related web because of using trademarked names like "Unreal Engine", "Unreal", "Unreal Tournament" among some other reasons in relation to that (I would do Epic "great damage" and such). I'm currently mailing with him, trying to save the Project :ironic2:
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

:shock: omg... I send you a PM.
rohitggarg
Adept
Personal rank: The name is Bu||et

Post by rohitggarg »

I guess you can take out the name UT and put your name all over instead, i am sure he might be concerned about you using the name which is a trademark of epic games for promotional purposes.

Please keep us posted of the updates :|
Regards,
Rohit

CATCH ME IF YOU CAN.............

My website : http://www.appointmentagent.com
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

Shadow, sorry, but after reading your post I only thought: WTF?

I wish you good luck on saving the project because you put so much time and effort in this project which should be canceled because of narrow-minded reasons?! Please, convince Epic and say it was already used in a Mod and that it keeps the whole Unreal community alive (and so UT 3). Good luck!

P.S.: But this situation has one positive aspect: Your SDK is so popular that even Epic got to know it :lol:
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

Guys I share the same thoughts and emotions, I left the current message history at the internal forums, go check it !
Last edited by Shadow on Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, 1st April already passed, so this is really bad... :\

But why the hell they want you to cancel it? I mean, it's basically a mod like any others, for UT (they are still profiting from this 10 year old game, so you would give them more money instead of damage them), where it is allowed to do whatever you want as long you keep the engine itself intact and the mods/addons free for everybody and as long people need UT to run it (and this last one was a worry that you had, as in moddb people asked you to make it standalone, and although you could, you simple said that you wouldn't for those same reasons).

So WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH EPIC? You're just too damn good for them, is that it? If they were smart like google, they would try to hire you instead. Or perhaps they want just you to take off some native UT3 like features from the SDK...

Anyway, good luck, and I must say I was never so disapointed with Epic, that's a very low attitude from them. :wth:
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

Oh yeah I'm as annoyed as you are, Mr. Wilbur just don't believe me it doesn't change the engine

Good god that I always said "no I can't turn it indipendent!" "no, you need to BUY RETAIL unreal tournament"
I hope I can convince him that nothing of the engine framework gets changed..