Some Words from Shade, the Admin/Founder of UT99.org

General Announcements about Unreal Tournament and UT99.org
Shade
Site Admin
Personal rank: Founder of UT99.org

Some Words from Shade, the Admin/Founder of UT99.org

Post by Shade »

Dear Community,

some time ago, I created UT99.org, because i just (still) LOVE Unreal Tournament. I wanted to found a place for you, where you can discuss, share knowledge, publish your creations (maps, mods, etc) and find many good UT-related files, which are spread over the internet.

Over time, the forum were filling with users and posts, and I decided to extend the community. I installed a UT-Server, I planned (and developed) a website which should contain a knowledge-base, a better arranged download-section, a new forum and a server tracker page.
It was over a year ago. I didnt ever finish the website. I didnt ever finish the server-setup.
I started being inactive.
I had (and still have) a staff-team by my side, which is full of nice, helpful and motivated people, who believes in UT99.org. I left them alone in this community.
Of course there were several reasons, why i wasnt so active anymore. But I know I didnt gave my best. I still could have been active here, although I had some problems in real life. I just had no motivation anymore. The problem was, I did fail in organizing new team-structures. As i said: I just left my team alone.

This year, a partner of mine did talk to me. He couldnt understand why I just disappeared from that great place, which I have founded. He (and most of you I guess) were sad about that, what i did do (or better to say: what I DIDNT do). So I tried a new start. I have collected feedback and many wishes, and wanted to work on the community again. A news-page, a UT-wiki, a download-page, a page for map-reviews and some more things were planned. My partner wanted to help me with setting up the software / developing the components, when he finds time. He started with it, but sadly for several reasons (which are completely understandable), he couldnt work on it anymore. I was demotivated again. After a few weeks, the project to refresh UT99.org was freezed again...

I promised things to the community, and I gave you nothing. I am Admin of this community, and i was inactive without giving the team information what to do.

Dear Creavion, dear Feralidragon, dear GenMoKai, dear Alex,
I am awfully sorry. I dont know what to say... it was just completely wrong, what I did do with the community and what I did do with you. I didnt realize, how shitty it was for you as the staff-team, to be here without the admin and any instructions.

After all, I am very glad to see this place is still alive.
But the question ist: What now?

I doubt I will ever finish everything I have started. I doubt I can ever realize all your (partly really great) suggestions. I am really sorry for that. So here is my suggestion: What is the most important feature for you missing here? What is mandatory for this community? What is the most needed feature to make this place a bit better? I will TRY to realize this one wish.
Of course, many people will laugh now: "Hahaha sure... he promised us updates so many times, and now we should believe him?" Well as I said... I will "try" it. As you have already experienced, there is just no reason to believe me. So this all may sound like a bad joke. But working on one (important) wish increases the chance to finish it. I am serious. I already feel very bad about the whole situation. I dont want to fail again. If I can manage to release the first suggestion, there may be a chance to work on a second.

Beside this suggestion to you, I will talk with the staff-team in the intern forum about the future of the organization of UT99.org

PS: Thank you for your birthday greetings! :) Of course i have read them 3 days ago. But then I started to write this text before I would write any other things.
PPS: Throwing tomatoes in this thread is allowed.
PPPS: Oh ehm... just forgot that: Happy new year! :oops:
UT99.org Discord Server: https://discord.gg/6CP2UjZ
UT Server Browser: https://ut99.org/servers
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Re: Some Words from Shade, the Admin/Founder of UT99.org

Post by TheDane »

Tip: If you trust your staff I bet they want to help you with small parts and gather the pieces to a fully upgraded site? I believe all skills are present regarding website changes?

So break in it parts ... hand it out to volunteers you trust and you wont end in this situation again.
Retired.
gopostal

Post by gopostal »

Shade I don't know you, but I'd like to ask something from you. UT is hurting very badly. I can start to see the end of it out in the distance, a time when the servers left will be small, and run by diehard fans. I've given a large portion of my life to the hobby of UT and I'd very much like to see it continue both as strongly as possible and as long as possible.

Most clans have moved on or only keep a token presence in UT now. The major downloads sites are gone or unstable, many wonderful creations are lost to the vapour of "the shutdown". It's sad to see it all go.

I'm not really sure you see UT99 for what it really is. I look around in here and I see a collection of like-minded individuals who want to thrust this site into the forefront of the battle to keep UT going. You have real, undeniable talent here and they are doing everything but begging you to let them grow this into what it has the possibility to be: THE premier public UT site.

Now that shoulders some real responsibility on you. Pretty quickly you need to decide how dedicated you are to this, and if you should hand some operations over to someone with more time and inclination to act. The last six months have slowed considerably here, and many of your heavy-hitter developers are openly cautious about the future of UT99. Don't let apathy kill UT. Through no fault of your own fate has dealt you a very important decision. PLEASE consider this.

Now enough tongue wagging of my opinion. I'd like to offer being the full financial backer of the site. Don't let the money side of things cause you to alter your decisions. Let me pay the bill, let some others run the site, and let's get UT99 back on track to lead the way down the twilight of UT play.
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

I think what we need to do First and Foremost is to Preserve what UT99 Files that we can!!!
When sites disappear, they many times take with them the last of any files, especially maps.

We need Good and Easy UT99 file Repository and maybe also another one or 2 for backup.
Easy to upload files into, etc.

I vote for the DownLoads section to be done - First. :tu:

PS: Just a note - My site/forum will also be there and also ones like Hermskii's and Gopo's!
UT99 to the end and BEYOND! :tu:
Gad-Zooks - I sound like Buzz Lightyear! :P
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
exceed91
Novice
Personal rank: Charlatan

Post by exceed91 »

1. Map reviews. Detailed, Critical, Inspirational map reviews.
2. A server to host new maps only so peoples work will not go to waste. There is little motivation for mapping today.
I'm tired of seeing active servers playing some clan members genius giant cube map instead of quality matierial.

If we can get a map depository with dedicated reviewers and a server which hosts our maps that forum members can play regularly on at a certain time (Sunday nights?) Then there is hope that people will catch on.

I'm willing to pitch in for reveiwing and general financial aid.
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

I also like the idea of a review page. But then we have to be consistent. We must review the most famous maps from the past and every other map which will be released in the future (or which will be asked for). Unrealed.info introduced a similar idea, they expanded their forum to a complete portal with downloads, reviews, news and stuff... But the latest two reviews were from 2007 and 20008 and the latest news was from November 2009. So we must not forget then to review in regular intervals.
I'd like to review some maps when I find time but then someone has to correct my language :wink:
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

Only trouble I see with reviews is they tend to turn into someone's Opinion rather than actual reviews.
Like old Nali City did!
It turned into more of a side show or circus.

Also, Kind of like Movie critics. :roll:
A lot of bad reviews are put out about really good movies. :?
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

Everything is always a matter of opinion but a review can give you a direction wether the map is good or bad. A review can inform you about bad peformance, really bad visuals or a lack of sounds. A review can say that a map is very tough (in SP) or which gameplay elements (z-axis, Redeemer, easy floorplan, etc) are used. You have to read the whole review to understand the score and then you can form your own view on the map and then decide wether you download it or not.
Though, we need qualified reviewers otherwise it would end up like you said.
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
gopostal

Post by gopostal »

There are certain things I think you have to accept. One, that any UT site will end up being a net loss. There just are so few players now. A review section is cool but it's already nicely done at mapraider. Besides there is not a whole lot to review lately.
Second you have to just resolve yourself to becoming the bastion of general UT support. Run a couple of servers, house files for public consumption, support your devs....basic site stuff. Maybe even get the various people here to come under an umbrella of sorts. Several of us run independent servers and sites. The proper person could help meld that into a small contingent of sites, with UT99 as the gateway.

No UT site is ever going to be big again but correctly done UT99 could be at the forefront of the "preserve Unreal" movement.
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

I see UT99.org as a strictly Unreal Tournament 1 oriented community portal, because there's not many like ut99.org out there.
Think getting front page redone is crucial to attract new members and maybe a new logo...

Just some of my random thoughts.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

The Logo is one of the best I seen by far... I know it I'm a graphic artist/illustrator.
Only the red UT99 doesn't please the eye.

Shade make the DL section running again ...This would be one of the best part on this board.

And I like gopos ideas.
(I like the short gopo :mrgreen: )
Shade
Site Admin

Post by Shade »

Thank you for your replies! :)

Suggestions so far:
- Frontpage
- Downloadsection
- Mapreviews (Can be connected with downloadsection)
- UT-server(s)

In addition, the forum needs a software-update.

So I think, the following things are most important for now:
- Frontpage
- Downloadsection
- Softwareupdate

The frontpage will be a Wordpress-blog. So we have space for the downloadsection, articles(news) and maybe nice other things like mapreviews in the future. :)

The Wordpress-blog with downloadsection will be my first action.
The softwareupdate of this forum can be more tricky because of some mods, so i will move this to a later point in time.

Thats it so far. Any complaints about it?
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

By "Software update" you mean forum software update, right?
Shade
Site Admin

Post by Shade »

Yep, right. I need to update from 3.0.0 to 3.0.7. But can be a bit difficult, because I use some MODs here.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

If you guys wanna let reviewing your maps...
http://utunlimited.beyondunreal.com/

although it seems that nothing happened there within the last weeks...
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.