Discussions about UT99
Fuzz_Ball
Experienced
Personal rank: Harmless

UnrealAdmin.Org down?

Post by Fuzz_Ball »

I was reading posts today and then got a
Database Error.
With so many UT sites closing, I hope someone didn't decide it's time to quit. :???:
* * * Image * * *
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: UnrealAdmin.Org down?

Post by Creavion »

Fuzz_Ball wrote:I was reading posts today and then got a
Database Error.
With so many UT sites closing, I hope someone didn't decide it's time to quit. :???:
Well, I could name you now 5 other ut-sites which were not accessible due to hard disk or mysql errors in the past, including the page you currently posted at. So, that is a hardware or software issue, something is wrong the hosting server. This is not a "we close/give up" case. Most likely the site will be online again within the next hours.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Meindratheal
Average

Post by Meindratheal »

This happened yesterday as well, but it was up again within about 6-8 hours
anth
Adept

Post by anth »

It happens every now and then. An MPUK tech usually fixes it before anyone even notices it. They're probably a bit slow on fixing it due to easter now though.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

And guess what...
it's up again. :mrgreen:
Fuzz_Ball
Experienced

Post by Fuzz_Ball »

And guess what...
it's DOWN again. :noidea
(and it's been down for at least 24 hours.) :nonono:
* * * Image * * *
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

If UA finally goes tits-up then that's really bad for UT at large. I contacted an old friend at Multiplay and it seems no one wants to step up and assume control of UA. What a shame but I guess in the end apathy wins most times anyway.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Fuzz_Ball
Experienced

Post by Fuzz_Ball »

Really would be a shame.
UA is too valuable a resource to be left for dead.
Too busy? SHARE YOUR WORKLOAD!
I'm not immersed in UT all the time but I, at the very least look to see if my game server and website are running.
Once again, Too busy? SHARE YOUR WORKLOAD!
* * * Image * * *
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

UA isn't like this forum or yours or mine. It's constantly probed, attacked and messed with, not to mention no one has been doing behind-the-scenes upkeep like it should be done. We are watching UA dying and no one seems to want to take the reins. The old group is gone now for some time and I guess to a great extent took the keys with them. Unless someone with the cache' of Anthrax or his level of respect steps up and petitions MP to assume the day-to-day of UA I think it may be coming to an end. I don't think MP really wants to have to work on UA, they have their own internal issues but I think they will be quite hesitant to hand over the forums to just anyone. It would be nice if they would at least transfer the file repository to a couple of other sites but it wouldn't surprise me at all if UA stutters a few more times then just never comes back after one of these episodes.
Fuzz_Ball
Experienced

Post by Fuzz_Ball »

WTH - Don't these guys give a rat's ass anymore?
At least L4Y is giving fair warning of their closing.
* * * Image * * *
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Fuzz_Ball wrote:WTH - Don't these guys give a rat's ass anymore?
At least L4Y is giving fair warning of their closing.
I think they don't want to close and they have indeed a problem they're simply delaying rather than fixing.
They need to "fix" the problem, and aparently someone is just goes there and does something so it can stay working for just a few more days until it f*cks up and another error happens.

That or there's some sort of hardware limitation they need to upgrade and they're simply lazy or have no means currently to, or some tenician (we call fake "technicians" without the "ch") is handling it, if you know what I mean.

As none of the UnrealAdmin staff gives us what's going on, it's hard to say how they could fix it. The last thing I heard was that the disk was full, and if that's indeed the issue, they either buy a new small one and cancel file uploads for a while (there's filefront, moddb (which uses filefront and other repos, but they keep them forever unlike a regular user)), or free about 10Gb for data and again, cancel the uploads for a while.

The best solution for this however would be to clean the database from useless or duplicate data, and get a new big disk, but again none is sure if this is indeed the issue, but there's clearlly an issue that must be "FIXED" properlly.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I think the main issue is access Ferali. The old guard is gone and the current staff is simply admin in name but not management. You should petition MultiPlay to see if you could take over the day-to-day and maybe merge UT99 with UA somehow. It looks like no one is stepping up to do that. My guess is they would love someone to do that since they are probably getting hammered with "WTH!?" emails about right now.
anth
Adept

Post by anth »

I don't think that would be a good idea. UA.org generates a MASSIVE amount of traffic (partially due to all the subdomains it has). I'll see if I can talk to azazel to get this resolved.
JackGriffin wrote:You should petition MultiPlay to see if you could take over the day-to-day and maybe merge UT99 with UA somehow.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I'm right with you Anth but what's going on now just isn't working. UA is too damn important to the health of UT for it to be doing this. I can't believe someone hasn't stepped up and fixed this by now. Up/Down/Up/Down only hurts the continuation of the game. This isn't like some fringe forum having outages, UA is arguably the center point of what's left of online players. It's quite disheartening to not see guys circling the wagons around it since there is obviously trouble.

If this is a matter of equipment/finances tell Az to let me know and I'll arrange delivery of whatever is needed.
anth
Adept

Post by anth »

It does indeed seem to be a capactity problem.
JackGriffin wrote:I'm right with you Anth but what's going on now just isn't working. UA is too damn important to the health of UT for it to be doing this. I can't believe someone hasn't stepped up and fixed this by now. Up/Down/Up/Down only hurts the continuation of the game. This isn't like some fringe forum having outages, UA is arguably the center point of what's left of online players. It's quite disheartening to not see guys circling the wagons around it since there is obviously trouble.

If this is a matter of equipment/finances tell Az to let me know and I'll arrange delivery of whatever is needed.