UT99 won't go into fullscreen

Discussions about UT99
maximdymok
Experienced

UT99 won't go into fullscreen

Post by maximdymok »

So I had UT99 installed for about 4 years now and I've never encountered this problem...
Just yesterday everything was fine. Now when I go to play UT99 it starts in full screen, and after a second or so goes into windowed mode. I have tried deleting the unrealtournament.ini file, but it didn't help. I downloaded a new D3D driver and it didn't help. It however works fine in software mode, but, really, the quality is shit. If i try OpenGL it gives me some weird error. I'm running Vista x86 with 1.6 GHz intel core 2 duo, intel express 965 chipset (it sucks), 2 GB DDR2 RAM, 220 GB 5400RPM HDD. Help?
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: UT99 won't go into fullscreen

Post by JackGriffin »

Did you try reinstalling your video driver? This sounds like a problem outside UT itself.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
anth
Adept

Post by anth »

This happens when your fullscreen renderdevice is not supported by your graphics card/settings. Open your UT\System\UnrealTournament.ini file and go to the [Engine.Engine] section. Your WindowRenderDevice is probably SoftDrv.SoftwareRenderDevice. What is your GameRenderDevice set to right now? You should try changing it to GameRenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice. If that doesn't work, it's probably due to hardware acceleration being disabled for your graphics card.
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

Update your DirectX (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/d ... 6652cd92a3) AND video drivers. What's the specific OpenGL error you get and what version did you used?
maximdymok
Experienced

Post by maximdymok »

Yes, I installed new video card drivers and it didn't help. I have DX11, as DXdiag tells me at least. And its definitely not that my video card doesn't support acceleration since it worked just fine 2 days ago but now it has this problem. I didn't change any video card settings either, so I don't know what could've caused this. Yes, in the ini file WindowRenderDevice is software, but i think (not sure) it was always like this.. not that I've ever changed that at least. GameRenderDevice is D3Ddrv.d3drenderdevice, and it won't go fullscreen like this, but if i change gamerenderdevice to software it does. If I set it to OpenGL it errors out with some extremely long error, and I can't copy it. But even if i did get OGL to work I would rather want D3D because OGL looks weird and lags on this computer (plays in slomo basically, and no, VSync doesn't help, or setting the CPU speed). I think maybe reinstalling the game might help, but I don't know where your progress is stored, and I wouldn't want to start from scratch. So anyone know what the problem might be?
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

We can fix your progress through the single-player. I'd do a reinstall and see where that gets you, saving your current install to a DVD or jump drive if you want to have a backup to restore. Be sure to completely delete the UT folder before reinstalling, don't try a "fix" reimaging.
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

DirectX gets additional updates over time so it is good practice to keep it recent. With modern systems (multi-core CPU's alongside with Windows Vista and Windows 7) it is NOT recommanded to use default video renderers, because they are horribly outdated and occasionally will cause different issues. You should definitely use updated Direct3D9 or OpenGL renderer and see if it helps with your issue. For more details peale refer to this link: http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=373
maximdymok
Experienced

Post by maximdymok »

Ok, i downloaded the OpenGL driver and confirgured the settings in the ini and now it runs in opegl, but it still has this slo-mo effect whenever there's not much to render. There doesn't seem to be an option for VSync or anything similar in opegl though, so how do I fix this? It still doesn't run in D3D, even with the updated driver I DL'd from the opengl page.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Did you disable speed stepping in your processor (is this a laptop)?
maximdymok
Experienced

Post by maximdymok »

Yes, its a laptop but.. sorry for stupid question, what is speed stepping? Is it when you make a shortcut for UT99 exe and type CPUSPEED=1600 or something like that?
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:You have directx11 take Video_Render D3D11 for UT http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfi ... o_Renders/

add in
UnrealTournament.ini
[D3D11Drv.D3D11RenderDevice]
UseVSync=False
SwapInterval=0
ZRangeHack=False
NoAATiles=False
NumAASamples=0
UseAA=False
RequestHighResolutionZ=True
UseSoftwareVertexProcessing=False
UsePureDevice=True
UseTripleBuffering=False
MaskedTextureHack=False
SmoothMaskedTextures=False
FrameRateLimit=150
UseVertexProgram=True
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
CacheStaticMaps=False
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseSSE2=True
UseSSE=True
BufferTileQuads=True
BufferClippedActorTris=True
SinglePassDetail=False
SinglePassFog=False
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=False
UseDetailAlpha=True
DetailMax=0
RefreshRate=0
MaxTMUnits=0
NoFiltering=False
MaxAnisotropy=0
Use565Textures=False
Use16BitTextures=False
UseS3TC=False
UseAlphaPalette=False
UseTrilinear=False
UsePrecache=False
UsePalette=False
UseMultiTexture=True
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxLogVOverU=8
MaxLogUOverV=8
OneXBlending=True
GammaCorrectScreenshots=False
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
GammaOffset=0.100000
LODBias=0.000000
DetailTextures=False
DescFlags=0
Description=
HighDetailActors=False
Coronas=False
ShinySurfaces=False
VolumetricLighting=False
select d3d11 render in UT

If you whant use d3d9 in ut you ned to d9d9dll comme with directx9 ...go install on windows

easy path for install opengl use a UT all ready patched with default opengl render full optimised http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/foru ... hp?f=4&t=7 it have to d3d9 but ou must have directx9 for all right C:WINDOWSsystem32
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

In Unreal Tournament, VSync is SwapInterval - to turn VSync on, set SwapInterval=1 and when off then set SwapInterval=0 (that's located under [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice])
SpeedStep is CPU feature that automatically lowers clock speeds when there isn't much load on your PC to improve battery life. You can disable this from your computer BIOS.

But before you do that try that make sure you have framerate limiter turned on, it often resolves speed issue without turning off Speedstepping etc.

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
FrameRateLimit=62

---------------

@medor - you don't have to use DX11 renderer because Vista or 7 supports DX11. That one is highly experimental and I found Chris Dohnal's OpenGL to be more stable and customizable (options wise).
maximdymok
Experienced

Post by maximdymok »

Alright guys thanks for the help, it now works! I used the DX11 driver and it runs very good. Now I'm gonna go frag some noobish bots.
bannmannutt

Post by bannmannutt »

switch to software rendering. don't use direct3d. it slows it down and doesn't allow you to go into fullscreen mode.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

bannmannutt wrote:switch to software rendering. don't use direct3d. it slows it down and doesn't allow you to go into fullscreen mode.
Welcome and thanks for needlessly necro-bumping a 6 year-old thread which was resolved. :gj: