Re: STUDY: Internet Explorer Users Are Dumber

Post by >@tack!< »

must show this to my dad
Hermskii
Average
Personal rank: Secret Administrator

Post by Hermskii »

Internet Explorer rilly werks wel for mee!

For the record... yes I use and love IE9 and can't wait for IE10. Think they'll call it IEX ???
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

ff ftw :)
*click*
Renegade
Adept
Personal rank: Vigilante

Post by Renegade »

You took this from UP :)
And this makes alot of sense, actually.
People who stick with IE aren't curious.
People who aren't curious don't care to learn about new things.
If you don't care to learn and just take what's given to you, you're not going to be as well researched or as knowledgeble as those who do take the time to learn about and try new things. This is obvious.
The same generalization can be made about people who listen to pop music.
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

The only time i have used somethink else than iE, is when i was fixing a laptop(Firefox) and it doesnt look as good as iE9.
Internet explorer 9 is a good step forward.
>@tack!<
Adept
Personal rank: lol?

Post by >@tack!< »

Chrome ftw
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Having used numerous other browsers, I always come back IE.

A) It's what i know and it's easy to use, as the article states no doubt to it having so much incorporated into it.

B) Other browsers may require more intelligence given they lack features IE has so it takes more brainpower to compensate for what the other lack.

C) FireFox is more prone to attract viruses than IE or other browsers I'm familiar with. Linux browsers tend to need more active menu usage as the key combinations that do commands do n't function as well under it.

:loool:
So, I may be dumber but at least I'm happy.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

I use IE9 daily and exclusively, so therefore I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box :|
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Honestly, I think this talking about "browser X is way better than browser Y" talking is mostly BS. If you are not taking something completly for most user unknown or outdated I think its just a matter of taste.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

This kind of news seem to catch tech sites/blogs attention pretty good since it's another great way to bash MS products and there's always followers.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Imo, the study is quite inaccurate, although it's well explained the results.

@Renegade: Not really, I actually got this from a friend of mine in google+ lol :D
But I know there's a guy at UP, called "radio".. something, who posts about this kind of news very often.

@Evilgrins: "B) Other browsers may require more intelligence given they lack features IE..."
If we go that way, then you will loose. Did you know that IE is considered the worst browser EVER to make something actually "work"? You have to download extra MBs everytime in data which are no more than images and scripts with hacks just to make something "simple" to work, something that works flawlessly under any other browser with no complications.

I bet everyone using IE does not know what webdesign is, IE is simply the worst browser to work for. The amount of limitations (Not features, LIMITATIONS actually) IE has compared to other browsers... damn! And you say "more features"? IE is always several steps behind all the other browsers actually.
We webdesigners/coders (I do PHP/JS/Ajax/CSS/html/, etc, as a living btw) have always to test a website or any feature of our website in both IE and any other browser.
All the other browsers are excellent and provide a great CSS and Javascript support since IE6 (CSS 3.0, something IE didn't have until IE9), we have literally to have a CSS to all browsers and then a specific CSS for IE, can you believe this?
What IE9 brings, FireFox and the other browsers already brought since IE6 and IE7.

"C) FireFox is more prone to attract viruses than IE or other browsers I'm familiar with. Linux browsers tend to need more active menu usage as the key combinations that do commands do n't function as well under it."
Again, I don't know where did you get that from, but that's completelly untrue. Actually is the other way around. IE has what's called ActiveX controllers, many viruses were spread thanks to this, therefore IE was highly affected by this.
Relative the other kinds of malware, IE and FireFox for example are somewhat "equally prone", because many of them enter because of "you", the user himself who accepts scans and clicks here and there.
The biggest security flaw in someone's PC nowadays has nothing to do with software actually, it's the actual human behind it, and this is more than evident, plus, you may find more FireFox users than IE users in google saying they have malware in their browser, but that doesn't mean anything, specially since:
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
We're comparing more than 40% (users Firefox) to less than 25% (users IE), so saying something like that doesn't make any sense since there are waaay more FireFox users than IE users.

Also, I use Linux at work everyday, use many browsers to test my own stuff and to navigate normally, and Linux browsers actually became better than some of their Windows version, and never missed a shortcut or menu that existed in Windows, and I am more a "drag and drop" guy than a "command line" guy unlike my colleagues (although I have to use them anyway for svn and to run my own shell scripts for some automatization in my work).

So, moral of story: there are many more FireFox users than IE and if you ask any professional webdeveloper who actually scripts and develops css, what they think about IE, they won't be nice at all. At least I don't know any who likes IE at all.
From the user side, he's more prone to find much more website bugs in IE than in FireFox (css and js wise), that's 100% guaranteed.

EDIT: Ever wondered why some websites take longer to take off? Basically you develop a feature client-side, you take 1 day to make it work in FireFox, Chrome AND Opera, and the rest of the week just to run "reasonably" in IE. :omfg:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

And where do you get such nice Easter-eggs?? ....in Fire Fox
robots.png
btw this is FF5 ...but with add-ons you can make it look like FF3.
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

IMO IE9 stands against competing products very well, sure previous versions did have their flaws so people love to bash them and this negativity automatically transfers over to newer releases.
In the end it all comes down to personal preference and user knowledge.