CTF-RexNoctis

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

CTF-RexNoctis

Post by Metalfist »

CTF-RexNoctis
Author: -Fn>Metalfist

Dark sort of "palace", this was actually my first map I tried to make (that's why the simple layout :P). After a while I put it aside, but got back at it again after a long time and improved it (due to more experience). SLV game style was in mind, that's why it's so big, but you can play it with normal weapons aswell.

Little bsp errors at the blue enterance, but not very noticable.
Botpathing might be a bit messy, but the bots have more weapon-fetish than flag-fetish :noidea
I tried to add a nice effect to the teleporter/kicker with a particle system, but it didn't work online :/.

Points for improvement are welcome!

Update: Map is released and final. There is another version with only the halls for RocketBoost. See links below to download it.

Download:
http://www.mapraider.com/maps/5682/CTF-RexNoctis

Video:
Attachments
CTF-RexNoctis[VRocketBoost].zip
(2.77 MiB) Downloaded 13 times
CTF-RexNoctis.zip
(5.1 MiB) Downloaded 18 times
Last edited by Metalfist on Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
>@tack!<
Adept
Personal rank: lol?

Re: [BETA]CTF-RexNoctis

Post by >@tack!< »

why cant i see imageshack pictures, it says Domain Unregistered. to view, register at: bit.ly/imageshack-domain
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: CTF-RexNoctis

Post by Creavion »

edit:
>@tack!< wrote:why cant i see imageshack pictures, it says Domain Unregistered. to view, register at: bit.ly/imageshack-domain
I have no idea, never encountered this problem anywhere .. works fine to me. However I often experienced those strange problems with "spoilers" on forums if they include pictures which can not be loaded with the first moment (with firefox), while IE does not have this problem .. on my side at least.

You dont see such large sized maps that often anymore nowadays. Fresh textures, interesting layout - fits to the size somehow. Really, not bad. I quickly did testrun the map, mostly checking the architecture. I noticed some .. lets call them flaws^^:
Ceiling.jpg
Thats one of the larger rooms, the architecture is mostly enough to me, I know the problem of large areas and to keep the polycount lower. However, the ceiling / wall (right on the screenshot) transistion is quite too hard. It just could need some "trim-wall-ceiling" pillars. Maybe you know, what I mean, otherwise I will come with an example the next time...
TheLamps.jpg
Very similar here, try to add some simple constructions on top of the lamp, connecting with the ceiling.
InCorner.jpg
Those corridors are .. boring, really boring. SOMETHING eye-catching is requiered in those corners, something which make you as player wanting to check it out.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
>@tack!<
Adept

Post by >@tack!< »

Maybe i cant see the pictures cuz im in armenia cant see them on my iPhone too. O well the map looks good only creavions remarks you should try.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

On this screen the left pillar seems not really good textured ...but the remaining looks :shock: :rock: :tu:

And yes what Crev said.
Renegade
Adept
Personal rank: Vigilante

Post by Renegade »

papercoffee wrote:On this screen the left pillar seems not really good textured...
lol, I think what you're referring to is a deco actor. It's a monk statue.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Renegade wrote:
papercoffee wrote:On this screen the left pillar seems not really good textured...
:| ...I mean the Pillar behind the monk statue....
Renegade
Adept
Personal rank: Vigilante

Post by Renegade »

papercoffee wrote:
Renegade wrote:
:| ...I mean the Pillar behind the monk statue....
Right. My bad :?
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Image no problem ...
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

This is a bad ass map and it's HUGE. I like big maps, especially for CTF...although even with the side tunnels and the two levels, it's pretty much a straight line without a lot of obstacles in the way. A good sniper could clean house in a place like that.

I especially loved the teleports, very nicely styled.

Given that I've largely only been playing with bots for the past decade, when evaluating any new map I usually go with 2 factors: playability & bot pathing. For the most part, this map excelled in both.

Minus one little point.
I played the map 2 teams of bots 1st and then I got in on it. On their own the bots do an excellent job, the bot pathing was excellent. However, they largely stick to the middle area. In standard teams of 4, bots follow a specific hierarchy: 1st attacks, 2nd defends, 3rd backsup the 1st, 4th freelances. All of that worked but the 2nds only defended the center area, the other bots fought around it but never ventured into the flag rooms.

I let the bots go at it for about an hour while I watched NCIS.

When I got into the action the bots only entered the flag rooms if they were chasing me down, and the one that was backing me up.

I suspect you'll probably not be largely playing the map with bots so none of this should matter to you. Just saying.

I did spot one kinda odd thing, which I only noticed as when I'm bored I tend to shoot things; not that I was bored but on a map where the bots don't enter the flag rooms I had some time to kill.
I shot it. Barely took more than a single blast from the flak cannon...
...and that's what happened. The vase/pot goes away but the flame remains and it just stays there. Fortunately you didn't use burning flame, the kind where if someone walks into it they start losing health, but it just looks odd like that.

As far as I know, the vase/pot never comes back.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Metalfist
Masterful

Post by Metalfist »

Thx for the tips!

@Creavion: something like this? and adding some vertical brushes or something.
ceiling.png
ceiling.png (97.6 KiB) Viewed 3633 times
and totally agree with the corridors, will think of stuff for there.
I will post screenies when I corrected the stuff

@papercoffee: will correct it

@EvilGrins: That's what I meant with the problems with botpathing the bots will defend etc., but bots don't really want to get the flag :s
oh and I totally forgot to make a collision for that mesh and make it indestructable! Thx for pointing out.
Is burning flame a special actor/option or do you mean a painzone (build with sheets). I haven't heard of it, but I can add it!
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

did you make the path visible in the editor ...maybe they don't want to go for the flag because they don't know where it is.
FragnBrag did a very good job on my Northern Lights Map ...he fixed many things and the bot-pathing too.
Metalfist
Masterful

Post by Metalfist »

I did and they can grab the flag, but they first go to all weapons and then maybe sometime grab the flag and not going back to their base immediatly -.-. First I set up a simple path to the flag, but they just didnt want to go there for some reason so I placed some more pathnodes (after also trying alternate paths stuff) and they did eventually go to it, but it's still meh. I'm not so familair with bot pathing so maybe I did something wrong, really would like help with that.
>@tack!<
Adept

Post by >@tack!< »

Do you use the mindreader mutator? Its very helpful to understand bots.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

As I'm a skinner, not a mapper, I can't really say. I do know that on different maps I sometimes have found that jumping into the fire hurts on some maps and others it does nothing to you.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758