X-Pickups

Search, find and discuss about Mutators!
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

X-Pickups

Post by Dr.Flay »

How do I get X-pickups to keep the Chaos sniper rifle, without manually adding or summoning it?
The loss of the bouncing and rocket-propelled rounds, is a great heart-ache to me. :cry:

This mod is a perfect partner for Wormbos "Enhanced Items" http://www.koehler-homepage.de/Wormbo/E ... Items.html (which is what I had wrongly blamed for removing the Chaos from my games).

BTW.
New SDK + new OpenGL and DirectX + Depth of Field and Bloom + new S3TC textures + X-Pickups + Enhanced Items + Oldschool multimedia update + CreativeLabs EAX patched version of the Gallaxy.dll
The old game is such a joy to hear is surround-sound, and looks so good. :rock:
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: X-Pickups

Post by Feralidragon »

That's strange, the X-Pickups mutator shouldn't do that. What mutator are you using to replace the sniper by the Chaos one? Have you tried to swap the order in the mutators list (making X-Pickups come first or last, as I remember this made a difference)?
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Damn! I was hoping this was a known issue.
The Chaos stuff is just on it's own as a weapon replacement. The only modifications are being made by Wormbos "Enhanced Items".

Hopefully I've managed to attach a screenshot of my commonly used mutators.

I was blaming Enhanced Items for a while (as I always used them together), until I found removing X-Pickups gave me back the Chaos rifle.
I haven't tried putting the Chaos GOTY mut after x-pickups, as the GOTY mutator has lived permanently at the start of the list since I've had UT.

It does seem odd for x-pickups to have this effect, as it has nothing to do with the weapons, but then I haven't been a very good bug-hunter.
I should really empty the mutators list, and try mixing from scratch, but if a mutator doesn't like one of my standard mutators, I skip it up and down until it works, or I abandon it (and I miss using x-pickups).
Attachments
UT-mutators.png
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

OK. I have done it properly this time!
I removed all the mutators and the tried swapping Chaos GOTY, X-Pickups, and Enhanced Items in all ways.
As long as X-pickups is in, in any order, I lose the Chaos Rifle (I also just remembered that it also stops the exploding ammo mutator from working).

So I feel less of an idiot now, but can anyone replicate this?
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Can you post your ChaosUT files (in a zip or so)?

I need to check how the ChaosUT mutator is built to check what's happenning, since I made X-Pickups with mutator support (specially for ZP weapons), so I find it kinda strange.
I attempted with my current mod (NW3), and the replacement does not work since my replacement way is different to avoid certain kinds of native bugs, so I wonder if ChaosUT also does things differently or not.
Nephew9999
Adept

Post by Nephew9999 »

I think da pro is the automatic weapon switch in UTChaos Mutator..
well now u talking about xpickups and mutators.. this happend with any UTJMH.. Mutator.. no matter version.. :(
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

That's because UTJMH replaces the health pickups by its own version of them, I can't do anything about that.
So either UTJMH has some setting to disable those replacements, or you use regular health packs instead, otherwise that's always going to happen with that particular mutator.
Also X-Pickups was designed mostly for the standard gametypes, and not MH or other custom ones (it may work there, but I never guaranteed support for them).
Btw, that proves that replacement mutators work after all, so ChaosUT must be replacing things differently as I am guessing.
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Maybe some of the original developers still use the Chaos forum http://forums.chaoticdreams.org and have some idea?
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

I just need a link to the mod version you're using, and I can see in their code directly how they are making the replacements and give a confirmation, it's easier, faster and more accurate for me.
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Err, GOTY Chaos comes with the original game. There isn't a download other than the normal version.

It is possible that I also did an install of the downloadable one a while ago, as I remember trying to use a mod that insisted I didn't have Chaos or the ECE pack installed, as it didn't recognise GOTY edition.

Original site
http://web.archive.org/web/201101051620 ... wnload.php
Current mirror
http://www.moddb.com/mods/chaosut

They were looking for a new lead programmer, to carry on the Chaos (and probably still are).
With your background in developing Nali Weapons, X-pickups, and X-vehicles, I'd say you were most qualified for it :wink:

Chaos is such an integral part of playing Unreal, that the only reason I don't play UT3 is because UT2k4 had the last (and best) version.
The expanded melee combat with swords and axes etc. Is also something I think should have been made a standard option in the Unreal games.

I could archive the Chaos related files in my installation,, and upload, but I can't remember all the components.I'll see what I can do.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Ok, just checked the mutator from Chaos UT and it's quite simple. It won't work at all because of this:

Code: Select all

if ( Other.class==class'Botpack.SniperRifle' )
     {
          if (Inventory(Other).MyMarker != None)
          {
               ReplaceWith(Other, "ChaosUT.Sniper2");
               return false;
          }
     }
Translating that to english, it's looking *exactly* for class Botpack.SniperRifle alone, and it never checks subclasses at all, ever, and it happens that X-Pickups has its own SniperRifle subclass to suport certain features like the double firerate from the Berserk powerup. So what this means that I was right from the start, the Chaos UT coder made their own replacement way different from the "standard", where instead of making the check "if (Other.IsA('SniperRifle')" which would replace both snipers, they decided to replace ONLY the standard one, so the X-Pickups sniperrifle never gets replaced, ever.

However, making a mutator fix for this single weapon is easy and fast, so I made one:
ChaosSniperFixMut.zip
(1.17 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
Basically, add the ChaosUT Sniper X-Pickups Fix mutator and then X-Pickups (be sure to have this mutator fix first and X-Pickups last in the mutator list).
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

WOOT! Me love you longtime !

I think it may be worth making a post to this one, from the Chaos forum.
I better see if I have an account there. If not I'll join and make a post.

I'll also remember to shoot some ammo packs (volatile ammo mut), and see if that was a similar conflict.
Hermskii
Average
Personal rank: Secret Administrator

Post by Hermskii »

Two real big thumbs up!
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Well, the Chaos rifle is defiantly fixed, but playing DM-GangOfFrontCity last night, I noticed that the pulse rifle had turned into the old stinger.

I will remove all the mutators and try a few maps with just Chaos, X-pickups and Enhanced Items, to see if this is a common issue.
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Damnit. Confirmed :(

With Chaos, Chaos-fix, Enhanced Items, and X-pickups, only in the list, The pulse rifle swaps back to the old stinger.

Another effect worth noting (but al least to be expected) is the lack of sniper rifle when you summon everything with the "LOADED" command, but as I have to run around to find a Chaos rifle anyway, it's not an issue.