.umx request

Search and find cool Voicepacks, Sounds and Music or show us your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

.umx request

Post by EvilGrins »

Listen to this:
[youtube]WFQ04lq6t4c[/youtube]

I don't know how to do this, and am not asking someone to show me.

I'd like someone to either direct me to where I can find a .umx of this music or, more likely, make a .umx file from this.

Thanks in advance!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
UT99.org

Re: .umx request

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:capture this youtube sound and do it :roll:
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

doesn't that just make ya wanna get up and dance :roll:

:idea: you should contact the author and ask before you rip it ...
- people either get pissed if you re-publish their work without permission or they don't give a sh##t
- at least asking makes you a better person (even if you rip it regardless)
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

medor wrote:capture this youtube sound and do it :roll:
Even with that, I don't know how to make the capture into a .umx
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

:wth:
Take Audacity and convert the mp3 in wav.
Then, take the wav file and convert it with the UEd2 in umx ... success!
FraGnBraG wrote: :idea: you should contact the author and ask before you rip it ...
- people either get pissed if you re-publish their work without permission or they don't give a sh##t
- at least asking makes you a better person (even if you rip it regardless)
exactly...
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Umx requires another format of files which is not wav.
I don't remember the name of the program nor the format itself (long time I don't make stuff like that), but there's one to convert wav to the format UEd requires to import it to umx.

Either ways, a fast search through the forum posts, and here's a link to convert any music, either in mp3 or wav to the format UEd needs to import as umx:
http://www.excalibur-holland.net/nuke/m ... opic&t=328
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Are you sure? ...I know you can convert wav into umx with UEd. :???:

Many chiptunes/8-Bit sounds can be easily converted in UEd ...I tried it myself.
http://modarchive.org/ is cool base for very good chiptunes.
But here the same ask the artist before you take the music.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Well, I can convert .mp3 to .wav with Sonique easily enough. As to converting to .umx with UeD2, I'll get back to you all on that.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

mini-tut:
1. use FreeCorder (Firefox plugin) toolbar and "record the playback" of the movie. High Dev movie audio is best. It will save as a WAV or MP3 (depends on ho wnew the toolbar is)
2. use an audio editor like CoolEdit, Audacity (free) or (insert audio editing program here) whatever. Open the WAV or MP3.
3. Save the WAV or MP3 as WAV, but set the save options to 8 bit audio (higher audio resolution is wasted in UE galaxy audio, it will just be bigger for no greater quality) you have other options as well - play with the (Hz and sample rate and listen to the track a few times) the idea is to make the audio file as small as possible with "good enough" sound quality (i.e. not too tinny). sorry, you will loose some bottom end. note 8-bit 11020hz for a 3 minute song is still a pretty big file, try that to start. So now you have "prepared WAV file". Here's the suck part - Save it as MONO, not STEREO wav. MONO smallest, so let's do that.
4. User a tracker (ModPlug is free) Open a new IT type project.
5. Go to General tab - Configure properties (name volume pan bpm etc) there's good tuts on ModPlug so i won't explain details here.
6. Go to sample tab - add a new "sample". Open the "prepared WAv" as the sample (use the default "Note" for the sample)
7. Go to patterns tab - add sample (as a note) it to the first channel (a channel uses a "pattern" - default pattern is 0) as the first entry in the grid. you assign only a note (with no effects) also, don't pan the channel or volume (you will be using only the "master volume" i.e. the value in general props. note that a channel by default is 0-63 units.
8. VCR buttons - hit play - essentially the note (which is the sample, actually) gets "played" by the tracker, but its just one loooonnngggg note. It will cutoff when the "cursor" hits #63. It stops (or loops) because you only have one pattern.
9. Add as many more "blank" patterns (numbered 1, 2, 3, 4 etc...) as you need to allow the "sample" to play to the end.
10. On the last pattern where the sample (song) ends, observe the # where the sample stops. add a second IT "note" right there (it's actually a IT command you are adding) I forget which command code it is, but it's the one that causes the track to END, rather than keep looping.
11. save the IT file as "whatever your umx name.IT"
12. Close Modplug and open UED2.
13. Open Music browser and Import the IT file. UED2 will create the UMX from it when you save.
14. Test the UMX in a map.
15. If the sound sucks then "rinse, repeat, tweak"

16. See next post for how to do stereo.

That's it.
Cheers
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

So you want stereo? Simply put, stereo = 2 mono wavs (one for left, one for right) with left wave assigned to 1st Modplug channel and right wav assigned to 2nd Modplug channel. This means your UMX in the end will be twice as FAT. But if you must have it (stereo). You need to split the stereo wav into separate left and right wav files. I do this with CoolEdit since it lets you play with WAV properties on save. For example, I would choose 100% left, 0% right for the "mono mix" property, when creating a mono LEFT WAV file. Opposite for the mono RIGHT WAV file. The rest of the tutorial applies, except you're using two samples instead of just one, and in the Tracker, you pan the left one all the way LEFT, and the RIGHT one all the way RIGHT.

I suggest try mono first, see how it sounds.

Note that galaxy plays tracker channels (up to 64). For mono you will be using just one, for stereo, you are using two. True tracker files (like IT, FT or S3M which were used by Epic for Unreal and UT) use sometimes up to 32+ channels (note the remaining other channels in UE runtime are for weapons, voices and other sound effects, and these take priority over UMX channels - that's why galaxy drops UMX channels sometimes if you use a lot of sound emitters in your map (Wheels is a good exapmple of a tracker track that drops channels, iirc)

Thats it :)
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

just so you'all know - this tut was typed from memory, so if you try it and somethings not right, just post here and I'll fix it... an actual example of the stereo sound business is found in CTF-FoT-OrionsCursePart2 - the UMX I made for that one was made using the methods I described here.
Cheers
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

This (it's called ontherun here) has already been turned into a umx file before:

http://mediafire.com/?q2bie0l2ylt4e3l