NW3 poll - How do you exit UT?

Discussions about everything else

How do you generally exit UT?

I press escape, and click Quit from the main menu
54%
I have a keybind to "Quit"
14%
When in an online game, I type "!exit" to disconnect, then "Quit" through the menu
3%
When in an online game, I type "!quit" to quit completely from the game
16%
I play with UT in window mode, so I just click on the close window [X]
3%
Other way (please specify)
11%

Total votes: 37

Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

NW3 poll - How do you exit UT?

Post by Feralidragon »

Ladies and gentleman, I really need you to vote in this poll please.
Basically, how do you exit UT after either a practice or an online session?

This question may not make much sense to you, but I have to make a huge coding decision in something relative NW3: basically I want to avoid to code something, so I have to know if it's justifiable to me to code something that may not be needed by 90% of the players, and that could be something of you probably wouldn't like (writing to your User.ini file, personally have a very strong policy to avoid to write to it since writing to your personal file without you knowing it it's not very pretty, therefore in order to do so I would have to build a window to ask you permission to do it, which is a hassle).

You can vote either in 1 or 2 options (since you may have just 1 or perhaps 2 main ways to exit the game).

Thanks in advance
iloveut99
Skilled

Re: NW3 poll - How do you exit UT?

Post by iloveut99 »

I open console, type quit/exit.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

iloveut99 wrote:I open console, type quit/exit.
Which console, the in-chat one (accessed through tab, typed in the same place as "say" and "teamsay") or the regular black window one?
iloveut99
Skilled

Post by iloveut99 »

The black window. ;)

I wasn't even aware that the green one accepted any command like the black. Also seems my tab doesn't display it, maybe because it's binded to shock rifle.
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

I usually hit Tab and type exit, seldomly I also use Quit from main menu.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

iloveut99 wrote:I open console, type quit/exit.
+1

by pressing "tab"
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Ok, cool, thanks for the feedback. :mrgreen:

I think I will explain why all this:

Basically, the only way that I am not accounting for is keybinds to "quit/exit" or "open" (personally idk why would someone have one, I had "open" keybinds to test NW3 in specific maps and they were particularly annoying when I mistyped them in an online game...(good old FUUUUUUUUUUU moments)).

I can account for those too, but the solution would force me to write to the User.ini, and personally I don't want to do that and if 99% of people don't have such keybinds, I won't even worry about it.

Anything else, from going to the menu, typing in either consoles and such, are all ensured (even sudden GPFs that force the game exit, although for this one you would have to run NW3 again for it to auto-fix).

The problem itself is the following: most custom renderers have a property called ZRangeHack, and which is True by default.
This property basically fixes the Redeemer overlapping the HUD, and the FlakCannon as well in the case of 16:9 screens, and in some *really old* video cards the problem of decal flickering on some medium to big distances.
However, this messes up something else: the rendering of those "glow/light" effects in a few of my weapons in first person view. It's not serious, but it's annoying enough to me.
When setting ZRangeHack to false, everything is good, but then the Redeemer overlaps the HUD :\
So, I came up with a simple solution: when rendering a NW3 weapon, set ZRangeHack to false, for everything else to True (as long ZRangeHack was True by default initially, if not, nothing is done).
This however, makes the ZRangeHack to be saved in the ini each time it's changed, thus I have to ensure that either you: exit the game, leave a server, open another map through console, etc, the ZRangeHack is reset to its original value, so you don't have any problems when playing something else.

The only situations where the ZRangeHack may not be reset right now are:
- quit/exit/open through keybinds (through console there's no problem for me)
- sudden exit for whatever reason, and once you enter you go to a non-NW3 server or practice session

In either situations, NW3 auto-fixes this once you run it again, but still.... :\
So I wanted to know what most people do so if someone has a problem, it will be 1 in each 100 or so (and which I can always put in a FAQ).
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

You should write this to the ini Ferali and fix the problem directly. Someone of your caliber will have no one complaining to them of a new entry in their file, they know it will be for a real reason. If anyone writes a mod that could potentially change a player's subsequent games then any such changes have to be dealt with as much as possible.

Make the edits, add a little something in the readme and consider it done.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

tab to open console, type exit
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

So far, so good. There's only 1 with keybind, everyone else is within what I expected.

@Jackgriffin: Well, the thing is that it's not just a small addon, it would be an additional command for "exit", "open" and such stuff (so when the player executed "exit" he would also execute another command), and this particular command has a something along this "blah engine.blah zrangehack true".
If you think about it, if an admin gets to log your keybinds looking for potential cheating binds, and sees something like "Engine ZRangeHack True", they will most likely ban a fair player because they may not know what the ZRangeHack actually is :lol2: . Guess who they're gonna blame when they find it out.... :wth:

Well, I just made up my mind, I won't do it. Instead, I will post it in the FAQ in case one of the few players that use such keybinds end up having that problem.
95% of the players won't have this problem, the last 5%: half won't even realize the change depending on their renderer, the other half either reads my FAQ or can ask in the forum or me directly or someone else.

And again, this only affects those with ZRangeHack=True, the players that have it set to false don't have to worry either.
CPan
Novice

Post by CPan »

I use this: F8=admin quit|quit

It dual purposed that it would reboot my test server and close my UT in order to go back to code and build. As long as I'm not logged in as Admin on a server, it's all good.
CPan
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

5 in 16... that's about 30% so far :\

Well, that last one convinced me: I will have to write to the User.ini...
However I will do it differently, it just occurred to me that I have exec commands written in the weapons themselves (for stuff like modifiers lock and unlock for MH, a command "CleanBlades" for the executioner to clean up the blood from the blades, etc), and since this setting is false solely when you're using one of those weapons, I guess I will add another exec like "ProcessNWClientExit" or something like that.

So in the end, whoever has those binds, and taking the example CPan gave:
Before: F8=admin quit|quit
After: F8=admin quit|quit|ProcessNWClientExit

So basically I just add that one which will only work at all if you're ingame holding one of the new weapons.

Thanks for the feedback, it's really important for the correct development of this pack.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Well like the first poll ... but I have a key-bind for disconnect from server what I do usually hit first.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

I usually get kicked and banned once they figure out who I am, and the resulting hard crash makes me use Alt-Tab (which isn't listed).
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

papercoffee wrote:Well like the first poll ... but I have a key-bind for disconnect from server what I do usually hit first.
Well, since I am ending up writing an extra command to those keybinds, that shouldn't be problem. :)
JackGriffin wrote:I usually get kicked and banned once they figure out who I am, and the resulting hard crash makes me use Alt-Tab (which isn't listed).
Well, those situations I can't really account for unless my mod was native or unless I ran something along with the startup of UT in some way to check and fix whatever that could be messed up, and that would be waaaay too intrusive and unpleasant.
So, in case that happens in a server or practice session while with these weapons on, well, unless you run at least one of the weapons again somewhere, you would have to type a command or change the ini by hand, if it made a difference to you that is.
This is one of those problems which I will list as "known potential issues" in the NW3 documentation (yeah, it will have one, mostly for players, perhaps a bit for devs as well).