Our Community Map: DM-UT99org / DOM-UT99org (Release)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Our Community Map: DM-UT99org / DOM-UT99org (Release)

Post by editor Dave »

The UT99.org Community Map

Mediafire (rar with .pngs): http://www.mediafire.com/?ripstfxkr6a6g65 (23 MB)
Gamefront (zip with jpgs): http://www.gamefront.com/files/21723495 ... ty+Map.zip (11 MB)
Map-factory(zip with jpgs): http://www.map-factory.org/unreal-tourn ... y-map-3955

Story
Time: 2205
Place: A hitherto unexplored moon with an earthlike atmosphere circling around the gas giant Tambur_IV.

The Liandri Cooperation started digging precious metal. For this reason a mining complex was built in the cragged ground. A few days later the construction workers encountered the abandoned walls of an underground temple which belonged to a now lost civilization. Regardless of the numerous petitions of researchers and scientists, the Liandri Cooperation pressed ahead with the construction and, consequently, destroyed the majority of the temple complex. During these days, as if by magic all torches and lamps sparked themselves and a cold breath set over the proclaimed dead vault. This introduced the story of dying.
One worker by another died of accident, disease or - even worse - suicide. Machines stopped working or became uncontrollable. Chaos.
An unexplainable feeling was in the air, which drived the workers to distraction. An overall fear spread, slowly but inevitable.
The Liandri couldn't engage new employees for this mission. Everyone who heard of Tambur_IV's moon rather refused to work than being submitted there. The Liandri get to feel the curse as well...the fear of this place permeated throughout the whole company to the remotest outposts. The mission was in danger of becoming a financial fiasco. A month later the plant was given up and closed.
Survivors reported that the lights inside the yet intact part of the temple still burned, however, extinguished gradually when the miners left and sealed the works.

Time: 2299
Place: UT99.org, a moon with an earthlike atmosphere circling around the gas giant Tambur_IV.

The Liandri Cooperation rediscovered the complex.
A large number of years have elapsed and the incident was forgotten or pushed to the back of one's mind. The yet well-preserved floor plans display a spacious system of tunnels and chambers and branched halls. A perfect place for their new profitable business model: Domination and Deathmatch, which enjoy great popularity for already eight years.
On this occasion they gave the moon a name: UT99.org, based on the famous tournament, the year of its rediscovery and an appendix for scientific objectives.

Thus it became an arena for the Unreal Tournament! The torches and lamps burn again in the catacombs of the ancient temple and the story of dying continues in a new saga...
Now, after two years in development with a few huge breaks, it is finally there: The first Community Map consisting of 28 rooms built by 11 different ut99.org members.
A lot of work was put in there, so I hope you enjoy the map as much as I do. The map comes in two versions: Domination and Deathmatch. You may pick your favorite gametype, but I advise you to play it how it was originally designed - as DOM.

I also created a timeline which depicts every notable date during our development. It shows the ups and downs of realizing our project, so we may learn from our mistakes and make a better organized community map in the future! The names of the rooms (e.g. Myth01) can be looked up and sorted in the UnrealED's groups browser.
May 06 2010: Myth's idea about a community project
May 15 2010: Myth01 - a room which had four different exits on which other mappers may build further
Phase 1 (http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2683)
May 16 2010: Whitey01 (first version) - Creavion01
May 17 2010: GenMokai01
May 20 2010: Myth02 - MythSkyZone
May 21 2010: papercoffee01 - GenMokai02
May 23 2010: Creavion02 - Myth03
May 25 2010: editorDave01
May 26 2010: editorDave02
May 28 2010: GenMoKai03
May 29 2010: Poll about whether to cut off GenMoKai02+03+editorDave01 and make it DM or to leave them and make it DOM => option 2 wins
Jun 01 2010: Renegade01
Jun 04 2010: papercoffee02
Jun 06 2010: editorDave 03 - GenMoKai starts to build a big cave connecting Renegade01 and editorDave02
Jun 13 2010: Filipe01
Jun 14 2010: LeviKOS01 - Myth04
Jun 20 2010: PsyXandeR01
Jul 04 2010: editorDave04

Jul 22 2010: LeviKOS02 - Phase 2 (http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?t=2811)
Sep 15 2010: SzGergo01
Mar 23 2011: It is revealed that GenMoKai's possible second cave won't be finished due to BSP errors
Mar 28 2011: Myth encourages to separate the remaining hole in three parts (which later became LeviKOS03, SzGergo02 and editorDave07)
Mar 30 2011: LeviKOS03 (without lighting)
Apr 18 2011: SzGergo02 (beta)
Apr 21 2011: Myth suggests to combine several already finished rooms for a better accessibility
Apr 24 2011: editorDave05 (one of those connections)
May 27 2011: Myth's retirement from UT
May 29 2011: editor Dave becomes the new leader
Jun 29 2011: editorDave06 (another little conncetion room)
Jul 20 2011: SzGergo02 (finished)
Jul 26 2011: Whitey01 (second version which depicts the theme transition)
Jul 28 2011: editorDave07
Aug 02 2011: LeviKOS03 (with lighting)

Aug 07 2011: editorDave08 - Build finished - Phase 3 (http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3394)
Poll about where to place the Domination spots
Aug 18 2011: After having decided the Domination placement, Renegade promised to work on the gamplay
Oct 22 2011: As Renegade didn't reply, editor Dave asked FraGnBraG publically if he could do the job (he probably hasn't read it)
Jan 14 2012: No one wanted to see this project die but the same didn't do anything about that,
so the leader decided to finish the gamplay with Creavion's help internally
Jan 22 2011: FraGnBraG gives internally feedback about the gameplay
Feb xx 2012: Gameplay finished
Mar 28 2012: Internal request to papercoffe for a story
Apr xx 2012: BSp errors fixed - Maps polished - finished
May 14 2012: Story delivered
May 15 2012: Final release
Now enough of the words, I let the pictures speak :)
Last edited by editor Dave on Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:11 am, edited 7 times in total.
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
editor Dave
Inhuman

Re: The UT99.org Community Map (Final release)

Post by editor Dave »

I apologize for the long wait since August. I hoped that someone else would do the gameplay. It stated it several times that I didn't want to do it myself for two reasons: As this was a community project, I didn't want to make all on my own. Additionally, I am not so familiar with gameplay in general. I hoped for someone who has experience in that field. Then in January 2012 I decide to finally throw it out, and I got help by Creavion and FraGnBraG who gave me some tips for improvement. But I had to do it on my own, though, as nobody else was willing to take it in his hands, although there were enough who wished to see this map finished. Between February and April I wasn't working straight-forward. I was distracted by many other things. I am sorry for that. Then I wanted at least the story to be written by someone else which took another 6 weeks to be completed. My aim is not to blame anyone, but I want to state that we were lazy at a point. We had the enthusiasm, but not the will to work for it. We had the car, but not the engine. I believe most of us had the time to contribute something after September. Time is the best reason to ban oneself out from mapping. I don't exclude myself from that. My aim with this post is to encourage you for another community map which has clear rules concerning time management. The time line proves it: Our project flew so well until a certain point when everything went uncertain. We didn't know who did something or how long he would need. A room with the average size and detail like in our map can be built in a few hours or days. If the mapper needed some more time, he should tell it and give a date when he wil be finished with his room. A set date will kill all procrastination if you are really willing to contribute something. Again, sorry for the wait.
Thank you.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

This post is titled "UT99.org Community Map" but it looks like this is multiple maps...

...or is it one extremely big map with both outside and inside and varying kinds of structures?

Downloaded it but haven't looked at any of it yet.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

Damn?! Who teach you reading?
The first Community Map consisting of 28 rooms built by 11 different ut99.org members.
So just 1 map.... it has 28 rooms, made by 11 different people in this community... just read before you say stupid things...

THe only multiple maps are that there are 2 versions... DM and DOM, but they are the same only different gametypes
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

ImageImage
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

GenMoKai wrote:Damn?! Who teach you reading?
Not who taught you sentence structure :mrgreen:

I missed a bit, nobody perfect.

Okay, map:
- Nice even flow, no memory slow down anywhere.
- Decent musical selection.
- Impressive bot pathing. Bots have the full run of the place and I only ever saw one hung up in one spot, and only once.
- Liked the pickup for the shieldbelt.
- Low-grav elevator was nice.
- Good use of a bottomless pit. No one appreciates a good bottomless pit anymore.

I like it.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

EvilGrins wrote:
Not who taught you sentence structure :mrgreen:
Gentlemen we are not in school ...no reason to lecture someone.

I'll play this map today ... And I hope for you all it will be awesome.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Isn`t it supposed to mean "taught"?

Anyway, I strongly suggest you (dave) to upload the map on filefront and map-factory. These are sides I would call important to keep maps for a longer time (not sure about fileplanet). Even if mediafire stores the map for years, this is not good publishing (like selling a product in a bad package, if you know what I mean). This really is a great and fine map, it really deserves something better in these matters.
And then you should "fix" the "png bug". The PNG screenshots made the download unnecessarily bigger. JPGs with a quality level of around 75 or 80 % are more than enough for things like those. As user you check out the screenshots once or twice and then that`s it already. I made a comparison showing you the differences in total filesize, you might get a shock:

First, your version with the PNGs
png-version.jpg
png-version.jpg (5.87 KiB) Viewed 6513 times
And now the fixed version with the jpgs (which are included BTW in the package but showed seperatly as well)
FIXED_version.jpg
23,4 MB vs 9,7 MB. Holy fuck! This is sparta!
If maps get huge via a lot of (huge) textures or whatever, it mostly can not be changed but screenshots really should not make THAT difference. In a supermarket you would call this a "bluff package".
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
editor Dave
Inhuman

Post by editor Dave »

@EvilGrins: Thanks for your feedback. We/I appreciate it :)
@GenMoKai: Everybody does mistakes, even you. That's no reason to be so mean.
@papercoffe: Is it awesome?^^
@Creavion: Thanks for your tip, in these aspects you are more experienced than me. I uploaded the map at Gamefront and map-factory as .zip with .jpg-files. Now it is 11 MB, because I couldn't pick .rar at map-factory :tongue:
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Would you guys like me to switch the FF demo to this map so you can play it online together?
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

(O___o) ...this would be cool.
editor Dave
Inhuman

Post by editor Dave »

Yeah, I fully support it :tu:
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I'll get it done by tomorrow. There's a bit of stuff that needs done for this to happen (I'll PM you the why if you want to know Dave) and it's going to take a little to get it all set up. I'll have it done for you guys by in the morning though.

Congrats on a finished map, I'm looking forward to playing it.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

The map is now playing on the FF public server :tu:
Server IP: 208.167.224.185:7777

Who is the guy in charge of the map team now? It's going to need a small update. The map throws a lot of local errors (did no one check logs when testing?) and I'll leave that up to you to sort since I don't want to finger point. You also ought to add Noxxpack and SGTech1 to the zip file. I had to go get those and add them to the server to run the map.

Also the non-standard ammo you pick up (like rifle rounds) will be converted to Food Fight ammo by the mod so expect that when you see it happening. Lastly I set the mod to spawn you loaded so you can explore and play without constantly hunting for a weapon.

I found the gallery. Thanks for making me feel old now :wth:

My thoughts on the map? Deliciously weird pretty much sums it up. You can tell what it is pretty quickly even if you didn't know about the project. However the flow is good all through the map and there were some VERY creative ways to patch the various sections together. Overall a damn fine job by everyone. I hope you guys play it and enjoy your work because I sure as hell did.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

What kind of local errors? The only kind of errors I care as mapper are bsp errors anyway. :tongue:
And I think it is a big achievement for getting a map like this nearly bug free.

@Gallery: Done by editor dave - so his fault (no idea what you mean^^).
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.