Our Community Map: DM-UT99org / DOM-UT99org (Release)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Bloeb
Experienced

Re: The UT99.org Community Map (Final release)

Post by Bloeb »

The map looks interesting from a mappers-perspective, but I didn't really enjoy playing it though. There's no consistent theme and the layout is a bit too odd for my taste. The big crane-part and the terrain-parts look very nice though.

If you're going to make a better version then you should test the map with the SW-renderer as well. There're some basic mistakes in regard to zoning and lighting. Check the screenshots below.
Attachments
ut99m2.jpg
ut99m1.jpg
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

Thanks for your opinion! Although I think, that the two themes per se - ancient and modern - (apart from the north western part of the map) are so sonsistent as it can be :lol:

I noticed these errors in the editor, of course, but I thought that no one uses Software rendering. Besides, I don't know how to fix this. Sometimes, translucent surfaces work correctly, sometimes they don't. I haven't figured out yet what causes this and how to abandon it.

Man, I am such a beginner at mapping :shock:
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Bloeb
Experienced

Post by Bloeb »

editor Dave wrote: I noticed these errors in the editor, of course, but I thought that no one uses Software rendering. Besides, I don't know how to fix this. Sometimes, translucent surfaces work correctly, sometimes they don't. I haven't figured out yet what causes this and how to abandon it.
Some people still use Software-rendering. The translucency-issue is easy to fix. Just make sure that the map is properly zoned and that every zone has a ZoneInfo actor.
][X][~FLuKE~][X][
Experienced
Personal rank: RocketX5/6 creator

Post by ][X][~FLuKE~][X][ »

nice DM map. whoever made the part in the second pic, very nice texture use and alignment.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

dots via chat wrote: use one StochasticTrigger to activate another StochasticTrigger
then it will function without errors
Dots is correct, I've used this method before in DM-ATypicalMall without problems if you want to preserve the original mapper's intentions.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

][X][~FLuKE~][X][ wrote:nice DM map. whoever made the part in the second pic, very nice texture use and alignment.
I can't really see something ...picture is too dark.

EDIT-------------------------------------------
I brighten the picture up in PS ....this is GenMoKais part ...he can make Industrial themes too not only caves :mrgreen:
editor Dave
Inhuman

Post by editor Dave »

papercoffee wrote: I can't really see something ...picture is too dark.
Huh? You must have a very dark monitor. I can see the pictures without any problems. For me they are almost too bright :lol2:
And actually, it is Renegade's part. If you had looked in the editor, you wouldn't have spread wrong infromation :tongue:
Last edited by editor Dave on Mon May 21, 2012 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

My work PC(I mean Mac) is on True-colour with sRGb ... and right now is the sun on my side and I don't see shit ... But anyway your pictures are too dark.
What this is not build from Gen?
editor Dave
Inhuman

Post by editor Dave »

papercoffee wrote:But anyway your pictures are too dark.
Can anyone else support this?
And yes, check the editor ;) Gen built the cave, the lava pit and the small connecting corridor at Psyxander's room.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

editor Dave wrote:small connecting corridor
But this is what I see in the second picture with my tech lava pit in the background.
From there I borrowed the pipes.
editor Dave
Inhuman

Post by editor Dave »

Which pictures do you see? Did data transfer to your Mac went wrong? I knew it, you can never trust an Apple product :ironic:
I have never took a screenshot of Gen's hallway^^ The second pic depicts the huge outside area from Renegade.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

AAAAARGH ...ok my fault ...I meant Bloep pictures ...Gahahaha ok I need a coffee...

YOUR pictures are all fine.
editor Dave
Inhuman

Post by editor Dave »

Oh, man, yes, Bloeb's pictures are a little too dark(normal at SW), and his second shows Gen's pipe-room :lol2:

Nevertheless, does anyone know how to fix the problem with the translucent surfaces?
Bloeb
Experienced

Post by Bloeb »

editor Dave wrote:Oh, man, yes, Bloeb's pictures are a little too dark(normal at SW), and his second shows Gen's pipe-room :lol2:
In my opinion it's the other way around. Maps are usually too bright with OGL or D3D, because gfx-cards and gfx-drivers often enhance brightness when they're not supposed to do that. Mappers don't understand it and make their maps too dark. Luckily you can make it pretty even by using a bit of zone-lighting. I believe that setting the zone-brightness (for each ZoneInfo-actor) somewhere between 6 and 10 is usually a good way.

As for this specific map the darkness isn't a particularly big issue, overall the map is pretty well lit. The most notable thing is the part under the crane (see my 1st screenshot). The waterzone is a lot brighter then the normal zone.
editor Dave wrote: Nevertheless, does anyone know how to fix the problem with the translucent surfaces?
Read my previous post about zoning.
editor Dave
Inhuman

Post by editor Dave »

Bloeb wrote: In my opinion it's the other way around. Maps are usually too bright with OGL or D3D, because gfx-cards and gfx-drivers often enhance brightness when they're not supposed to do that. Mappers don't understand it and make their maps too dark.
But if let's say 10% uses sofware rendering, 80% OpenGL or Direct3D (the remaining 10% for other video drivers), should the mapper build his creation too bright for 80% and well-fitting for the minority? I don't think so.
Bloeb wrote: Read my previous post about zoning.
Oh, well, I have totally read over your post... Sorry. Thanks for your instructions.