Unreal PSX rework:Rise of Jrath thread

Maps, mods and resources ported from or to Unreal.
Must run in UT99 or with Oldskool Amp'd.
Unreal 227 only projects are "Off-Topic"
iDeFiX
Average

Re: Unreal PSX rework:Rise of Jrath thread

Post by iDeFiX »

Any news/updates? I hope progress is still being made.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Yes ... as far as I know only a little bug fix have to be done.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I won't make the release as planned because I am moving elsewhere, but after I am settled in I will release it hopefuly.
iDeFiX
Average

Post by iDeFiX »

Too bad for those who are interested (me :p), but thanks for the update!

Hope you'll settle soon and good. Good luck moving!
iDeFiX
Average

Post by iDeFiX »

Any news already? Hope Leo has moved in... ;)
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I asked a friend(UBerserker) to post here, but he did not yet apparently, the problem is, my laptop cannot be connected to the network for the time being, and I have been having health/technical issues all over and the big changes for me in my life. It has taken an effort to login to this forum because I wasn't sure which pasword I used and I am just using an old style text browser because my machine is quite broken and the harddrive had to be disconnected, so basically i am connected to a really old machine through LAN here. UBerserker did post an update about the project status on BUF and USP, with no apparent responses though, but the fact is, I am also waiting on some mesh reworks still and UV map related fix issues on some of these. However it has all also allowed me to improve some stuff, map revisions, not anything major though but for example I got rid of one invisible block and put a real part of the end save of e1l1 to beginning of e1l2, took some effort with the bsp and becuase the map
position and rotation was quite different from e1l1c, the point was that if you took a step back and looked through a crack in the door you would see the cave is not as big as it was in previous map, on the psx it didn't matter because of the low resolution and the scale of the texture was changed to reflect that, but on high res stuff it was apparent it was fake-hence the block that i put there once. But, any invisible blocks, however small are really bad thing in games(and yes I am aware that at least final version of Unreal "2" the Awakening, used that heavily), so the decision was to put the cave in fully more or less, so it seems leamless and playr isnt blocked from looking throuigh the door crack to previous map. I also made oldskool entry, even though the organisation of the mod puts me off, I modified the base mutator to reflect some changes and also put in a teleporter effect from unrealdm to the oldskool version and with that also made sure that the teleporter effect DOES NOT play during map
transitions, like it does in oldskool with the ut effect when you travel from map to map, which is really annoying and not intended, so there's a check to disallow that happening and only happen in the real TPs in the map. Another thing I've been working on is inclusion of some deathmatch only levels, however I won't release them all for the demo/episode, only the ones that thematically fit more or less, which are a real dm variant of the pseudo dm stuff that happens in e1l3. I've also progressed on a secret/originally test level and will include it within the episode 1 part 1 package probably, the level is entirely new though and features one of MU's "new" monsters/centers around it, it originally was a testbed for the monster but I figured I might start adding more detail and turn it into more or less a secret/bonus level. I hope all of this is enough to keep the people interested in the project, it has taken a lot of effort to put it all together and if everything goes well I will be able to release it by
the end of this month or so. Also Matthew Kagle did find some test map leftovers from the PSX era, even though he got rid of most of the stuff, something did slip by, it includes a different "test" version of e2l6 which was still one map before the separation/changes made later and also some work he did when he was going to be hired(personal showcase) and level parts(not whole level sadly) which will be used in e2l2, I believe he was assigned to e2l2 partially after Jeff Rubin left the project. Will require a lot of work to get it all done, but I believe after inclusion of e2l2d the progression between e2l2 and e2l3 will become more seamless. I am sorry if this post is unecseraily detailed and I am also sorry if the formatting of the post screws up, but don't forget I am using just a text old style mode to write this with no graphical support.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

:rock: Thank you for the update. When I first saw this thread, I thought ''Unreal for the Playstation 1? Unbelievable!'' and since day 1 thought ''How on Earth did he found out about this?''.
Now that you said that there would also be DM maps inside, my eyes nearly poped :shock: That's really good news.
I'd like to thank you for your hard work and good luck on everything :gj: .
iDeFiX
Average

Post by iDeFiX »

First, RL is always important ofcourse, so hopefully your issues (health first) will be solved and the changes will be good.

Personally, I'm a little excited to hear this project is still being worked on and a release is soonish planned.
Seems there are nice improvements and even some more 'recovered' stuff added.

(Amazing to see how much planned/beta/unreleased stuff has been recovered and appearantly still is.)
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I posted some updates on BU meanwhile, but right now I need to find someone with 3dsmax to convert some meshes I need to be converted, otherwise I will just have to do without. The guy who was supposed to do it left the project and unreal scene altogether.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Unreal PSX Rework: Rise of Jrath Episode 1 Part 1 Release

After such a long time, the "demo" is finally done and finished. The most troublematic was creating the additional content/coding, there were multiple issues too that I in the end got help with or had to somehow solve on my own and of course the fact that important person left the project didn't make it easy.

Whatever the case this is no longer issue because the pack is out.

Four level "sets" consists of Episode 1 part 1, since part 2 should end with e1l8 levels.
Part 2 will be hard to complete too, due to the fact most levels are missing from part2 as they were not recovered fully, while the other two episodes are mostly complete. I will surely need some help still regarding mesh work etc.
Multiple new items/enemies are present, but new enemies mostly make up the "dream-in-your-mind-like" levels. That is also because e1l3 concepts were heavily unfinished.

New creatures should be good news for certain people, especially the minotaur rework. There is a special secret level featuring big variant of the minotaur also.

Gameplay in the usual levels was kept as intact from original as possible. For those not familiar with the original levels using the low res psx textures, this pack should really feel fresh and new and should be at least of quality of good expansion pack.

New textures, loads of new textures and player skins, some coming from the graves of Unreal developement, some are completely new and fresh.
You are free to use the textures in your projects for example because they are imo worth it. One particular texture set: UPB-Crypt2 was extremely difficult to get hold of the unresized originals, being it old and forgotten texture set from the beta days, a nice "Egyptian/Persian" alternative to the later Sumerian-like Crypt set. This set is not used in the rework but is included here but it plays a large part in part 2 of episode 1.

Enough talking, download links below:
UnrealPSX_E1P1.rar

UnrealPSX_E1P1.zip

Screenshots:

Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Is it running on UT or Unreal ?
If it's Unreal, I think I'll try the HD Weapons pack :D
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Dr.Flay wrote:Is it running on UT or Unreal ?
If it's Unreal, I think I'll try the HD Weapons pack :D
It's both, there are even separate requiredfiles for UT and Unreal included. Read the readme in help and you'll see.
However there is also warning listing all the different, unintended behaviors in the OU227 patch too, so keep that in mind. But I kept it UT compatible and even oldskool entry is in.
I tried to make it compatible and co-op playable as much as possible, so this works fine on version 225 too which is my personal favorite as far as server running goes and is the most generally compatible version out there. It probably works fine on 224 too, but the main goal was 225 up compatible and UT. There were some new bugs when running it under OU227, some of which I fixed what I could but I cannot change the more internal stuff and it's not my responsibility to keep up to date with fan patches, especially when I am short on space and have limited internet acess.

Don't worry though, it's not progress breaking, but it does alter the intended experience.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

For UT, is this SP or can I drag bots along with me?

I'm weird about bots.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

EvilGrins wrote:For UT, is this SP or can I drag bots along with me?

I'm weird about bots.
It is singleplayer but there are few dm maps with this(there will be much more in the full mod I can tell you that), and also botpack only versions under DeathMatchUT(which is what you're looking for I suppose).