MoreBlood mutator RC7.5

Share interesting stuff you have found or created yourself.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: MoreBlood mutator RC7.5

Post by papercoffee »

nuff wrote:Really 3 times 128 gray? That seems far off, at the moment the background is in perfect black.
:shock: What exactly did you understand?
nuff
Novice

Post by nuff »

Just find it strange that the colors are that far away from the transparency color.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Red: 128 Green: 128 Blue: 128. Where are you getting 3 times 128 gray?
So long, and thanks for all the fish
nuff
Novice

Post by nuff »

yes..3 times 128..
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

You should read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGB_color_ ... sentations
And this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8-bit_color

We talking about the 100% grey what you will get if you mix the colours Red: 128, Green: 128, Blue: 128 ...
nuff
Novice

Post by nuff »

Just looked at the graphics a little closer, the green ones and reddrops are alls bases on black as background color. But all the red splats have a 132 gray. So im not sure if i have to get all to 128 gray or just the 132 grays to black.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

There is a difference in masked, modulated, and translucent. The small drops with the black background can be ignored for this. The problem is the larger files with the gray background. What needs to happen is that the existing gray needs to be set to triple 128 (exactly). Now I haven't extracted the pcx files from this mod and played with it but I'll tell you that generally speaking once the files are indexed then you won't get a clear edge replacement on them and it's not going to look as good as it would if you had the original files.

I've seen this happen a bunch of times on mods I've worked on and it should serve as a warning for those who want to do this sort of texturing: keep a backup and when converting always keep one eye on the gray. If you think it might even be slightly off then dab a brush in it and read the RGB values photoshop shows you. Any variance from 128 means that some shadowing is going to occur, and the farther away you are the more that will happen.

Just to show you what I mean. If you open the very first tile called GSplat1 and check the background you'll see it has values of R:115, G:123, B:115. Zooming in you can see it has an ever so slight green tint because of the unbalanced G component. Also to fix it is nearly impossible because the edges are so unclean:
Last edited by JackGriffin on Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

nuff wrote:Just looked at the graphics a little closer, the green ones and reddrops are alls bases on black as background color. But all the red splats have a 132 gray. So im not sure if i have to get all to 128 gray or just the 132 grays to black.
Now I understand what you mean... ok I thought something totally different. Sorry.
JackGriffin wrote:There is a difference in masked, modulated, and translucent.
Exactly...
nuff
Novice

Post by nuff »

I think the edges wont be a problem..as long as the square is removed it should look fine..the squares are the ugly part.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Do you understand how to fix it now? It's going to be time consuming but worthwhile if you use this mod. If you do fix these you ought to send the updates to Loath so he can fix the mod. Yay community help!
nuff
Novice

Post by nuff »

Edited the red ones manually to the right transparency gray tone, then i converted them by script into the green versions (which saved me a lot of time, but they might look a little different):
splats transparency fixed.zip
(486.62 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
(updated)
Last edited by nuff on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

Thanks for looking into these nuff.

When I was working on RC7.5, I pretty much added all the extra decals that I snagged from that CS mod and a few other
sources into it as almost an afterthought, and as you noticed, didn't get them all converted correctly. They were in several other formats....

Just grabbed your tweaked versions. Will post back after I get a chance to check them out and do some testing.
If you have been successful, that might motivate me to revisit this. (With a nice credit in the readme file for your work on the decals of course.)

Been considering an update for MoreBlood for a little while.

1st I might look at integrating MoreGore with it.

2nd to tweak some things if you have the bRandomMode on.

Currently it selects random sizes for the drops and decals separately. So sometimes you have tiny drops, and huge decals, other times the reverse...

I would adjust it so 1 random value would be used to scale both the drops and decals so they match up better visually.
Was also going to look at breaking down all the decals into several sets of similar looking ones. The mutator would cycle through the sets, so it would
still use them all, but would attempt to avoid having decals with drastically different "styles" all mixed together in one area.

Would also be looking at ways to further optimize the code to enable higher levels of gore if possible, in the event I decide to work on a RC8.0 version.
Who knows? Perhaps I will think of some new effects to add while I am at it.
blarg
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

An all-encompassing blood and gibs mod would be insane and a very welcome addition to UT. Just today I added moregore to the coop server and I was trying to figure out how it would play along with the existing bleeder mod of yours. Having it all under one mod is certainly easier. I'm sold.
nuff
Novice

Post by nuff »

The great thing is that this mod runs client side..no need to bother server admins and you still get more details. :)

EDIT-------------------------- by papercoffee

I overlooked 2 files, its now updated, please redownload.

Please avoid next time double posting!
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Ah, I forgot about that (Been a while since I've played with it)
You can see it on the back wall

Here's a few tools I can recommend
http://www.foogod.com/UEdTexKit/ Readme.txt
http://www.cosmigo.com/promotion/index. ... tte+Editor
http://memecode.com/image.php

http://developer.nvidia.com/content/leg ... ture-tools
http://developer.nvidia.com/content/nvi ... -photoshop
http://developer.nvidia.com/content/gpu ... ompression

*EDIT*
8-bit editing tip from the Amiga days.
If you want to quickly change a colour in an 8-bit/indexed bitmap image.... do not do it to the image :wtf:
Change the colour value in the palette, and it will change that colour in the whole image.
If your software tries to automatically map your change, and correct/fix what you changed, then it will not work.
You must use tools designed for working on the palette, not the bitmap data.
This way you can avoid errors with masking, or edges.

Turn the problem upside-down, and an easier solution is available :tu: