Dreamcast Unreal Tournement Textures

Share interesting stuff you have found or created yourself.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: Dreamcast Unreal Tournement Textures

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Yes, I know that this thread is over a year old, but I found the problem of these textures...
I tried to open them with a 3rd-party texture viewer (forgot the name). The packages opened, but the textures were ruined (the same kind when there are too many colours used). So the only thing that could still open these would be UT3 or 2kx ED (but even that, I'm not certain).
Bottom line: NOT for UT99! :thudown:
anth
Adept

Post by anth »

heh, I didn't see this thread when it was opened. I just checked one of these packages. The format is very similar to the PC version's format but they seem to have used a lame hack to prevent the first texture property from being decoded. This is pretty similar to what they did in mapfiles, where they wrote an invalid index into the StateNode field. I did write a tool that can convert dreamcast maps so they work on PC (even though it's quite easy to do it manually). I'll analyze the format a bit further and perhaps extend my tool to restore textures as well.

EDIT: it doesn't seem to be what I expected. The texture data itself is the problem. It looks like the texture data is compressed using PVRTC (PowerVR texture compression iirc?)
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

UTXGaffer 2.1 and UTX Viewer 3.3.1 can see inside the files but, the textures are corrupted.
Gonna try some other tools, but I suggest someone try and open them in UEd 3 (2K4) and see if they can be exported from there.

Just tried; UTPackageTool20b5, USPackageExplorer11, WOTgrealExporter Still no joy.
http://utdatabase.99k.org/tools.html
anth
Adept

Post by anth »

The packages themselves are 100% conform the UPackage standard (except that the texture data is PowerVR compressed). I've almost finished the tool to convert the textures.