Mapping Contest: "UT99.org Xmas 2012 Mapping Contest"

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Re: Mapping Contest: "UT99.org Xmas 2012 Mapping Contest"

Post by FraGnBraG »

Man I've working on this all night and it doesn't seem like i've progressed through my list very much :???: anyways, bsp work is almost done, and the custom signs and crap are almost done, only have a few of those left to do ... photo-shopping seems to eat up a lot of my time - anyways,
still wip on the overall ambient and i haven't got the upper city building signs done yet (so it's pretty dark up top... still have that disappearing section problem when i go into some parts of the crane tower - i might just release the map buggy and fix it in a v2 or something...

here's a few shots of the outside areas from the upper middle of the map - obviously not from inside any buildings ...

... 1.5 more nights left - wish me luck :)

Cheers
Shot0047.jpg
Shot0048.jpg
Shot0049.jpg
Shot0051.jpg
Shot0053.jpg
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

That's looking impressive, Frag! Keep it up, I want you to finish until tomorrow! :mrgreen: Have you checked cuts in the areas you receive HOMs? Any chance to deal with Zones in these areas?
I also had the chance to have an in-depth look on papercoffee's Morpheus clone and I really liked what I've seen.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

If you grabbed the crane from DM-Crane then the vanishing mesh is within the crane's mesh itself. I tried a couple of times to fix it but never could to my satisfaction. Be very careful you test fully to ensure that your crane import is usable because some of the brushes for it were deleted in the stock UT map, resulting in the problems you are seeing.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

FraGnBraG wrote:
Isotoxin wrote:1), use "texture cull" in the unreal command, texbox, coronas are not possible in skyboxes, as far a i know.
hmmm... coronas... i hate to say it, but can't remember - although i've used sprites and flares - actually, take a regular light actor, set to un-hidden and change it's skin to one of the genfx lens flares, also change the style to translucent and possibly set until, or not - play with that. that should do it i think. oh, and do not set the light to "corona", just leave that property false. (then tell us if this works, lol)
Damn it, didn't quite work, grr... *deletes coronas*.
Thanks for the command, Iso!
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

JackGriffin wrote:If you grabbed the crane from DM-Crane then the vanishing mesh is within the crane's mesh itself. I tried a couple of times to fix it but never could to my satisfaction. Be very careful you test fully to ensure that your crane import is usable because some of the brushes for it were deleted in the stock UT map, resulting in the problems you are seeing.
Hi Jack, hope you're hanging in there okay - about the bsp issue, when i say "cranz", i am referring to the actual "map", not the crane itself - those crane units i had to rebuilt anew, all that semi-solid/non-solid stupid brushing inoxx did is GONE (and with a host of problems disappeared). that's been the story with this project basically, i mashed it all together and then have been replacing much of it because the Epic mappers were very "sloppy" so of course i've been rebrushing a lot of this map (and adding much of my own stuff as well). The last problem of that concerns "bsp instabilty" is the Cranz-building (which i have been calling the cranz-tower)...

see image #3 - if you were to look exactly top down, and chop the building into 4 quarters, the 3rd quarter (which is the area you are loking at in pic#3) disappears (homs and holes everywhere) when you walk through that region (on the ground). You don't die, but the CSG solid/semi-solid mix in that region is poisonous - i've rebrushed much of it and deleted many brushes from there as well, and i did think i had it fixed, but the issue came back and still remains (which means it might be something else in the general area, dunno - for now, i've decided to finish all the other things i need to do first, then if i have any time left i might try a few things... i'll still release it this way - i'll just add a mesh sign warning players of the "dangerous" BSP region ("enter at your own risk") and fix it after the contest in a V2...
jaypeezy
Experienced

Post by jaypeezy »

*cue lone tear rolling down my cheek at how awesome Frag's map is*

And, damnit, still not done with my map! I'm definitely gonna end up revising it later but I'm gonna resort to the same thing, release an incomplete version for the map-pack. And, of course, I have a damn BSP error in the ceiling that I need to resolve...
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

At times when I've had a weird hom area like that I've gotten it cleared (as a last resort) by selecting the ENTIRE map and moving it a couple of units any direction then rebuilding. My guess is there is some sort of BSP building that takes into account the relationship of the map to the edges of the playable area. I've fixed several maps like this doing just a simple nudge of the whole thing.

I'd do everything you can to fix this. If you are stuck I could take a look too if you want? I'm not on par as a mapper with the rest of you guys but fresh eyes often see things the maker misses because they are just too close.

And just as an aside, Crane is my absolute favorite DM map of all time. Anyone redoing it or using it as a base has my total support :) and I can't wait to play it!
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

They are all looking great - I especially like Frags map - great looking metro map there! :gj:
They are all great!
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

:rock: Good luck, Frag and Jay!
Guess I can't complain about my map (FnB's 4k brushes vs. my poor 60 lol). I still need to finish lighting and make the map more xmasy. How much time do I have again?
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

actually, I have ONE hidden area where it's nice and xmasy - if times allows, i'll spread the xmas around - but since there's bigger fish to fry than adding more xmas deco i think the tiny bit of xmas at least let's me qualify as "xmas" ... i'm already loosing a stupid point for being late, so i'm glad i put some xmas stuff in already :loool:
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

I had that one done with being snowy. If someone wants more Xmas, I'm happy to spread it around with a rocket launcher. :mrgreen:
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

:mad2: AAAARGH!!!
I kinda finished the map, but my phone can't upload it (loads for 20min and after it I'm back at the post reply screen without my attachment). Of all the luck... Ok calm down.....
Is it OK if I upload it tomorrow afternoon (22:22 in here right now)? Or will that be the end of the submissions? Someone please answer cuz I really want to throw the damn phone to a wall :(
Ozma777
Average

Post by Ozma777 »

fragnbrag....jack griffon could be right about moving the ENTIRE map.
I did that on one of the eternalcave section that I warpzoned to my mountains in my submission.
I had such massive hom on the as-tutorial bridge over lava that you couldn't even play. You would spawn into a hom and there also were invisible walls where there shouldnt be and such. (it wasn't there before I added the eternalcave spot)

So I did the old hold ctrl and alt and leftclick drag a box around the eternalcave/dom-tutorial part and moved it from top right quadrant to lower left quadrant (in top view). Problem fixed.

In your case click and drag around the whole map just before you do the final build (forget about fixing things for now and get it all done). Then move the whole map LOWER by a couple thousand units in side view and also AWAY by a couple of thousand units in top view.
In other words put the entire map in a space that hasn't had anything built in it before. Probably for the last build the problem will go away.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

Ozma777 wrote:... moving the ENTIRE map...
weell, at this point I will try anything, lol! btw - the "sliders" had no effect either ... then again, changing those positions can be dangerous (someone guru-like told me that once - can't remember who :D

i'll see if i can blast the rest of my todo list tonight, or the highest priority items - then i'll backup the whole mess and reload a copy - shift the bugger around and see what happens - if it works then you guys are my new official godz :tu:
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

Shame on me, I know, but I lacked my initial motivation in the last two weeks... so here's what I did for the contest. At least I want to show the current status until the world ends :tongue:
Attachments
Dave - Egmas.png
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.