[INFO] Development Journal

Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Re: [INFO] Development Journal

Post by Shadow »

Your suggestions sound kinda good, but I'm already planning to make the installation and everything easier by introducing the new directory structure and an install with only one simple setup file. As for the auto update this sounds really good, but I don't know how to do this, and despite that: UDK and other engine enhancements or SDKs don't have it too, I'm lucky if I can effort to accomplish what I was trying to pull off for each single release so: auto patcher -> yes, by time, but I don't know what that web api should be good for

I will speak about the really critical and major new enhancements in detail soon
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Shadow wrote:but I don't know what that web api should be good for
Basically what makes people stay playing the same game for a long time and enjoy it:
- RPG elements (experience, levels, customization, etc)
- web controllers
- global stats
- better server monitoring from the web
- better security against cheaters
- news page
- dynamic launcher
- authentication
- and the list goes on and on

Imagine for instance me logging into some site, tweak my stuff there, and then enjoy it later in-game. Who knows, this is the sort of thing that can create new game genres altogether.

Basically, anything that is best done with an actual real SQL database and stuff like javascript and php/asp/python/whatever through the network.
The API itself can even be used to get updates for the game for instance (imagine someone downloading your SDK, and making it regularly checking for updates, like once a day and notify the user about it and the change log).
The possibilities are endless with APIs.

Afaik UDK also has support for this.
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

Hm ok interesting. I'll keep this in mind for near future. Now back to my emitters *disappears in a deep dark dungeon*
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

Uff.. not posted here a long time. I think you all deserve a statement about the current state of the coming release. Last weeks if not months I was pretty much into deep bug hunting, adding fixes and running into even new and more problems. Some times the texture blending didn't work, then Static meshes give me a punch in the face, then all new classes who used Linked Lists.

And then there's that showcase map. Didn't think that it would take so much time! -.-
Well it seems that it's coming around christmas... yeah my christmas present to everyone.
So all these problems described above are eliminated and I'm finishing the showcase map and writing/updating the documenation while working on the gametypes for Food Fight simultaneously. Since a lot new content was added this will be the first release being over 100 MB. The texture pack for the Showcase map alone is 30 MB, so prepare for a much bigger download from now on.

And last but not least here some facts and shots of the coming release:
  • Volume Support, like in Unreal Engine 2 and 3 (yes with in Editor Support, directly addable and usable)
  • Setup installation (finally!)
  • multiple Showcase maps and environments
  • reworked Botpack (most UT standard Weapons) with new Effects and Graphics, gets more and more content each release
  • improved Material Support
  • new Emitter Type (SubUVEmitter)
  • shitload of example content
  • optimized Support for new Texture Blending Modes
  • new GUI System (but no example content yet.. so it's just the technology)
  • tons of UScript native functions
  • improved Interpolation System
  • Texture Trace Support (texture can be read out of a BSP Poly)
  • improved Linked List Actors
  • tons of new Emitter features (Gravity, WorldSpace/LocalSpace Support, per-Particle Coronas, random Direction, Converge Mode)
  • new Static Mesh Features (dynamic Coloring, U/V Settings, correct Texture Blending)
  • new Post Processing Features (cross Fade Support, Volume Support)
And much more. Can't list everything, there's also as always a changelog included.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Really nice, looking forward for that map.
Btw, in that screen with the flames, I see that the textures edges are still visible and not completely transparent, it's supposed for that to happen or you didn't notice?
For everything else, looks like a pretty damn good job to me. :gj:
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

Thats looks totally cool!
So when I install this mod I can see this new weapon effects, and available much more new options in my UnrealED?
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

Feralidragon wrote:Really nice, looking forward for that map.
Btw, in that screen with the flames, I see that the textures edges are still visible and not completely transparent, it's supposed for that to happen or you didn't notice?
For everything else, looks like a pretty damn good job to me. :gj:
Thanks mate :)

Concerning the edges, they resulted from a not really "clean" transparent texture... the compression amplified that effect, so you're right^^
ASLYE702 wrote:Thats looks totally cool!
So when I install this mod I can see this new weapon effects, and available much more new options in my UnrealED?
Yep, you only have to change minor entries in the ini files and use the mutator (for the weapons) everything else is a framework, you add what you want in your map. Some direct new features in the Editor are Emitters, Effects, Post Processing and Volumes etc. you directly see and may use without loading that map ingame!! This is especially very very useful for the Emitters since you actually see what they produde while creating a Level in the Editor.
Gunner
Novice

Post by Gunner »

Oooo I remember this from a while back when you first started. I used to follow you on moddb. I'm glad to see that you are still at it. Definitely going to give this a try if I get back into mapping.

Keep it up!
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

Hey thats cool Shadow!
So I can making maps, if somebody will playing on my map he/she hasn't got problems?
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

Build 359 (February Release) was pretty stable and the coming release will be even better so I can say the time has come that everyone can use it for whatever she/he wants to without major problems. I could also make a second download for people who only want the binaries wouthout resource/source files. That would decrease it's download size.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Stable and ready to use?
Looks like I'll start the FerBotZ plugin for optimized versions of the heavy processing functions once 395 is out, now that I'm making it process entirely serverside...

BTW, Shadow, you're awesome.

Edit-------------------------------- by papercoffee

Disregard my reading comprehension, I should stick to posting while sober.
Anyways, great work.

(somebody merge it with my previous post)

Done :wink:
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

uuumm Im just read all posts from this topic :p
.what is a 'Decoration layer' ?. someone knows ?
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

With a decoration layer you can place static meshes like with a paint tool similar to the tools used in UDK. It has multiple states like placing, deleting, moving, copying etc. It's for easy placement of a group of similar static meshes.. for example while creating a forest out of a list of different tree meshes.
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

aahh something like VegetationGenerator from 227 (but hey, why only a few plants and not any mesh, why these plants are hanging in mid air ? poor done..). I like your idea :). SDK is something that I wait for most (and Liberty Basic 5) :p
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

Thanks, like for a few months ago, yes months -.- The next release is almost finished, but I heavily lack time to complete it.. hope things are better during december.