The Longevity of Unreal Tournament

Discussions about UT99
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: The Longevity of Unreal Tournament

Post by JackGriffin »

Congrats to everyone, especially the admins here at this wonderful site. In case you didn't see it, UT99.org was mentioned specifically in the article SpongeBob posted above.

Well done guys! You are keeping the torch lit like no other place and it's getting noticed. How's that for some reward for all your hard work? :thuup:
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Thankfully this site has calmed down in recent years and become a meeting place for work and ideas.
Being more of a hub of creative types, than a hang-out for gamers, in my opinion is also 1 of the biggest reasons this is a rare troll-free zone.

Beyond Unreal is supposed to be the "premium" and semi-official site, but is full of... well lets just say the type of people who fill their sig with multiple, many-meg, flashing, "look-at-me, look-at-me", rubbish. And fill their posts with mostly similar content.

UT99.org is an oasis in a dessert.
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

Dr.Flay wrote:Thankfully this site has calmed down in recent years and become a meeting place for work and ideas.
Being more of a hub of creative types, than a hang-out for gamers, in my opinion is also 1 of the biggest reasons this is a rare troll-free zone.

Beyond Unreal is supposed to be the "premium" and semi-official site, but is full of... well lets just say the type of people who fill their sig with multiple, many-meg, flashing, "look-at-me, look-at-me", rubbish. And fill their posts with mostly similar content.

UT99.org is an oasis in a dessert.
Ditto mate! I miss a lot those old Golden times no flames no insult and full fun
smeerkat
Skilled
Personal rank: DHR

Post by smeerkat »

13 years, wow. Even though there are better game engines nowadays (resulting in prettier games), UT99 is still #1 in my heart. The first map I played was DM-Morpheus on a local network, and later DM-Deck16][ on a public server. I still remember the adrenaline rush I got from defeating Xan in the SP campaign. I loved mapping even more than playing, and I probably still have those crappy "first maps" that I made. It's great to see there are still community mappers and map packs in circulation, and websites such as UT99.org to promote them.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Even UT is prettier with new renderers and addons, and getting prettier still.

From out of the SHADOW came a great shining light ;)
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

For me, it is the gameplay mostly. I have many of the latest titles, but they mostly leave me flat. UT however, keeps me coming back time and again for that rush that I just can't get elsewhere. So, gameplay, a great community of like-minded people and a deep sense of nostalgia - and unabashedly I say that - to keep a true classic alive.

Thanks to UT99.org of course. In the short time since registering, I feel I have found some true kindred spirits. Cheers all! :gj:
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Dr.Flay wrote:Even UT is prettier with new renderers and addons, and getting prettier still.

From out of the SHADOW came a great shining light ;)

So far however it is only an 'engine demo'. Without a mappack and a team it will remain such (like 227 *caught*).
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:now only $3.40 on steam get it while its hot
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

nice .. didn't se the clips as yet..but..reading from everyone elses posts it sounds promising.
I remember Flak a few years ago commenting at another board (or this one) about the Master-Server Issue.. which he resolved quickly or was that 50 (someone) not .. cent btw lolz

I have always promoted the idea of upgrading ut to the newer engines .. 2k4/ut3.. it would be AWESOME for them to fully implement it
as-is into the newer engines.

Remake the Characters (more realistic) , and maps everything.. But keep the game-play as it is.. don't go trying to improve on it too much I guess. (where 2k4/ut3 failed as such).

Utilize Anthrax's and Ferali's Security concepts and ZP functionality into it so that it is much harder for the cheat-makers to hack to peaces.. in fact Hire them immediately!!

Then like Quake Live , Perhaps add this functionality into it.. in fact this can be done with UT if the netcode was fixed.. all that would be needed is a mod/bin to tap into the masterserver-browser , fidn the lowest pinging servers available to the users and connect to them .. I guess.

there's still alot of potential in UT99 .. but an engine upgrade would be Wicked.

learn from moving forwards to fast and realise that 'its not Perfect by all the things "you add to it"... But rather what you remove from it in the end, which makes it so..'
^This is not to say to remove the functionality as such.. but rather leave some of it to the 'community' to discover and produce.. which keeps us intrigued and coming .. Back4More :D

that's my opinion.. for the time being at least.

:gj:
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Not sure you could keep UT99 the way we know it with an engine upgrade. Seems that doing so would affect everything; it just wouldn't be the same game.

I think they did a good job with UT3. Cranked up on a modern rig with the blossom mod, it looks absolutely amazing and the game play is pretty darn good. Not UT99, of course, but really good. It's fast and frenetic, for sure! When it first came out, I wasn't convinced, but I have since come around. While it isn't quite the return to form Epic said, it is very close in feel, but certainly a darker, more serious mood. Ah well, what do I know...I liked UT2K3! :P Every incarnation of the game has had its strengths and weaknesses, for sure.

Frankly, I think that UT should be left alone, except for texture updates, etc. A cosmetic update, but leave the core as it is. My sense of nostalgia wants to keep it as pure as possible, something which I think an engine upgrade would unavoidably alter. Probably we agree on the idea that with some more love and TLC, it could still be dolled-up a bit. The OldUnreal guys and the URP have done stellar work for both Unreal and UT with the textures and patches, so a big thanks to them for keeping things vibrant.

Dunno....I may be a purest, but I like it the way it is. You know, I don't even listen to the music for UT or Unreal outside of the game. I love that music too much to let it first get overplayed - which I would - and second, I don't want to lose the whole experience; if I want to hear the songs, I have to play the game! "Foregone Destruction" and Face are inseparable!