Bot Path Node Usage Beta

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
DeathoX 8
Experienced

Bot Path Node Usage Beta

Post by DeathoX 8 »

Hi all,
I uploaded a beta version of a new mod/tool aimed at mappers I coded, Bot Path Node Usage (of which I posted some shots in the screenshot thread some time ago).
It allows mappers to analyze how bots use the path network of a map.

Using the provided mutator the map will be filled with new triggers that react to bot contact, and using some simple console commands the player can check the balance/usage of different types of nodes (InventorySpots, PathNodes, etc.) and also spawn balance (counts how many spawns took place at every PlayerStart), unused nodes (navigation points that haven't been used once in the whole match), and "frozen" nodes (the places where bots get stuck).

After each command the triggers will be made visible, and a texture representing the percentage compared to the most used node will get assigned. Higher numbers show more frequently used nodes, the most used node in the map will get the MX texture (Max), while the least used will get the MN (Min) texture. Unused nodes will get a zero texture.
You can use this information to make the bot pathing more balanced and fix pathing errors.

A typical use would be starting a new practice match with a good number of bots (I recommend the highest setting that the map allows, with score and time limit set to 0), ghosting out of the map to not interfere with the bots, using the slomo command to speed up the game, then after several minutes killing/freezing all the bots.
You can then check the results using the console commands (for example "Mutate BPNU Results", "Mutate BPNU PlayerStart", "Mutate BPNU Inventory", "Mutate BPNU Unused") and walking/flying/ghosting around the map.

It's pretty simple and straightforward to use once you memorize a few commands, in the ReadMe I added a small guide and the complete command list. You can also use the "Mutate BPNU Help" command to list all the available commands in the game console.

It's missing some features (and the textures are quite fugly, I'm going to create new ones for the next versions) but it tried to test and polish it quite thoroughly.

Any feedback, criticism, features you'd like to see implemented or any questions about the results are welcome :)

Download version 0.72
More Info
BotPathNodeUsageV072.zip
BotPathNodeUsageV072.zip
(771.67 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
BotPathNodeUsage-1.jpg
BotPathNodeUsage-2.jpg
BotPathNodeUsage-3.jpg
Last edited by Dr.Flay on Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Missing download now attached to the post
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Re: Bot Path Node Usage Beta

Post by FraGnBraG »

Awesome stuff DX8 - I will give this a run in my RP map this weekend ...
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
QuillioN
Experienced

Post by QuillioN »

Excellent!! Hope this will help a little more than the VERBOSE command :D
In a world of billions, why are there people still alone?
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Do the numbers depict actual touches or are the nodes ordered by popularity and the number reflects it's place in that order? What would be really nice is to have it spit out a spreadsheet so you can know which nodes can be deleted.

BTW, just because a set of nodes has a very low number that doesn't mean they are unimportant. Many nodes won't be used unless the bot is in pursuit mode or gets knocked into an unpathed area and needs to find their way back. Good pathing tries to anticipate the bots getting into weird positions because they seem to be darn good at that.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
DeathoX 8
Experienced

Post by DeathoX 8 »

Thanks guys! Hope you find it useful :)
Personally I never found much use for the verbose command, it would be much more useful if it would print also the target destination instead of just the next node.

@Jack: I forgot to explain it in the description, I've edited it now, thanks for asking.
Numbers represent the percentage compared to the most used node. For every trigger the percentage gets calculated with (ContactCount - Min) / (Max - Min).

For example let's say that we have in a map just four nodes, that have been touched 3, 6, 7 and 11 times each. The Min value would be 3, the Max value would be 11, and the other two nodes will get the 40% texture ((6-3)/(11-3) = 0.375 -> 37.5%, which gets rounded up to 40%) and the 50% ((7-3)/(11-3) = 0.5) texture.
Min would become the 0% and Max would become the 100%.

I used this way of calculating the percentage instead of a simple ContactCount / MaxCount because it gives pretty constant results with different match lengths (otherwise results like the playerstarts would have most textures above 90% after a two hour match). However if you prefer you can use the "normal" ContactCount / MaxCount by setting the bTraditionalRatio variable in the .ini file to True.

I thought about adding the possibility of displaying the actual number of touches, however with long matches the numbers can get in the several thousands so I'd have to add a bunch of textures. I'll think about it for future versions.

I agree that mappers should not delete every node that doesn't have a high percentage :). This tool is mostly useful to check the overall balance of the map.
In most maps there's always going to be a few nodes that are used very rarely, not all nodes must be used every time. However many maps have "hot spots" (places that bots like a lot, for example the Rocket Launcher area in DM-Grinder), or entire zones that are ignored by bots.

For example you can see in the third screenshot (partially hidden by the light texture behind, sorry about that) that DOM-Condemned has a 28.3% average (very good IME), and if you think about it the bots are pretty much everywhere in that map and take all the powerups. You can also notice that it has 0 unused nodes.
If you play it for a while you will however notice that the two side ramps shown in the screenshots are used very rarely (1% and 2% textures) even though they are a valuable alternate path to the stairs in the middle of the building, by using this tool you can see all these kind of problems without spectating many matches :)

While it's almost impossible (and pointless) to make all the single nodes used equally, the different areas of the map should have similar percentages overall as that will be the sign of a truly balanced map (a map where you can fight bots in any area).

I agree that bots can get into some strange positions, but normally those areas should not be accessible by a player (there isn't really a point of having an unused part of the map IMO).
QuillioN
Experienced

Post by QuillioN »

Well, very true the verbose is next to useless:) This tool looks like its going to be a must for pathers out there.
Going to give it a thoroughly good looking at, when i'm off work. From what iv'e read though, i can see myself using this A LOT, i could path for hours!
I love pathing a map, sad i know:P I will let you know what i think, when i get more time with it. :rock:
DeathoX 8
Experienced

Post by DeathoX 8 »

QuillioN wrote:Well, very true the verbose is next to useless:) This tool looks like its going to be a must for pathers out there.
Going to give it a thoroughly good looking at, when i'm off work. From what iv'e read though, i can see myself using this A LOT, i could path for hours!
I love pathing a map, sad i know:P I will let you know what i think, when i get more time with it. :rock:
I know that feeling, I'm a bit obsessed with pathing too :P. It can really make a difference in the fun you have playing a map.
QuillioN
Experienced

Post by QuillioN »

Ok, well here's my report:) This tool is fantastic, if anyone has the slightest clue how pathing works, this well improve you i have no doubt.
I consider myself to be quite good at pathing a map, i will sit for hours moving things around till i have the map covered.
Testing this on my DM-Backup map (which i thought was pathed very well) i now can see where the weak area's are. Global result 30.6% but 1 area had little or no usage.

Now seeing that while pathing normally is virtually impossible, with this, it's visible within 10-15 mins and it allows me to make adjustments where needed.
info and details on how much the bots use paths, weapons and other things with this tool is excellent. No more excuses for bad pathing lol :)
I tested this out five times, under the same conditions and the result were the same, well, near as makes no difference. Also, this is so easy to use.

Very impressive work and i would say ALL pathing should benefit from this.

Thank you Mr DeathoX 8 10/10
DeathoX 8
Experienced

Post by DeathoX 8 »

Glad you found it useful QuillioN! Thanks a lot for the feedback :)
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

Good stuff :)

Also I notice that you have a little bot tweaker as well , kinda like Jafo's bot editor.

http://www.deathox8.com/Downloads/BotHandlerV080.zip

:tu:

ohh wow you made this map :D Ive been looking for this one for a while now :)

Great job :)

http://www.deathox8.com/Maps/DM-FoT-Metallicide.html
DeathoX 8
Experienced

Post by DeathoX 8 »

Wises wrote:Good stuff :)

Also I notice that you have a little bot tweaker as well , kinda like Jafo's bot editor.

http://www.deathox8.com/Downloads/BotHandlerV080.zip

:tu:

ohh wow you made this map :D Ive been looking for this one for a while now :)

Great job :)

http://www.deathox8.com/Maps/DM-FoT-Metallicide.html
Thanks! :)

Aside from tweaking Bot Handler also allows random generation (very handy if you're using the XBots mutator, with a few clicks you can create all the 320 bots). The main problem is that it doesn't read directly the .u/.int files of the game but uses an external list (which I created manually), so you need to import (opening an user.ini file that has them is enough) all the custom models and skins you want to use in random generation if they aren't included in the list I provide (which supports 38 popular custom models and 153 custom skins). I didn't even post a thread here as pretty much nobody was interested in the previous versions, I'll still try to complete it since I do use it myself :).
I haven't tried Jafo's editor, but if it reads the .u/.int files and displays the player models/textures it's probably going to be less convoluted to use if you have boatloads of custom skins and models. I'll give it a try :)

If you're looking for Metallicide, you can get it in the Forts of Time vol. 1 pack. Sorry for all the dead links on my site (I'm going to fix them sooner or later...), you can get the pack here http://www.ut-files.com/index.php?dir=M ... s/MapsE_F/.
Cronoloop
Skilled

Post by Cronoloop »

So
anyway to make this works for FerBotz?
Or maybe I'm missing sometimes?

I just set up the mutators, slomo 2, wait, then "mutate bpnu results" and nothing shows up (only 0)
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

FerBotz uses path shortening and will sometimes select the next path before reaching the current one, not to mention all the shorcuts they can take if you give them low-grav, jump boots or translocator.
Try a game with a Botz and all navigation points unhidden (SET NAVIGATIONPOINT BHIDDEN 0) and you'll notice.
Cronoloop
Skilled

Post by Cronoloop »

Higor wrote:FerBotz uses path shortening and will sometimes select the next path before reaching the current one, not to mention all the shorcuts they can take if you give them low-grav, jump boots or translocator.
Try a game with a Botz and all navigation points unhidden (SET NAVIGATIONPOINT BHIDDEN 0) and you'll notice.
Thank you, will try.
VatcilliZeitchef
Adept
Personal rank: It's a trap!

Post by VatcilliZeitchef »

I decided to try this mod out, it really helped a lot! I can see the problems so clearly now, I should have had it before.

Awesome work~
Image Kayako's useful Unreal editor Icon Database Image