The Unreal Deal Pack is The Daily Deal on Steam

Share interesting stuff you have found or created yourself.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

The Unreal Deal Pack is The Daily Deal on Steam

Post by Dr.Flay »

papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: The Unreal Deal Pack is The Daily Deal on Steam

Post by papercoffee »

What ...WHAT ...WHUUUUUT?!

Meh, on steam... nothing for me.
Cronoloop
Skilled

Post by Cronoloop »

papercoffee wrote:What ...WHAT ...WHUUUUUT?!

This.

Games used to be cool years ago; you went to the store, bought the box and went to play like a mad man!
Now... bah, maybe it's because I grew up, but I don't feel like I could play anything else except UT or Age of Empires (still play it in LAN! yo)
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

The pack is blocked in some countries, like Russia and Germany.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Even more useless than the unreal anthology, although that one is boxed. I can not imagine somebody not having at least most of the games nowadays.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Cronoloop
Skilled

Post by Cronoloop »

Guys just let me ask a question, maybe it's related.
Does EPIC see how much UT2k3, 2k4 and 3 failed so hard? And does EPIC see how many players are still online on the servers playing this? Without counting the ones playing it offline (I know IRL lots of guys who play with bots or LAN)? Don't talking about the people modding and mapping for it...

I mean, do they know they created a masterpiece? And why they don't support it anymore?
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

UT2004 is pretty much dead and UT3 was never considered as a masterpiece. They have their cashcow: Selling Unreal Engine licenses. Even Gears of War was more successful than UT3.
Arena shooters are mostly gone. Today Call of Duty and similar games are considered/the big hits...
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

I think the description on my ut3 box says enough: "From Studio of the Year, Epic Games, Creator of Gears of War [..]"
They even need to advertise UT3 by saying they also made GoW... .__.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

I think that in light of actual number of players of UT99 vs any other UT game (in which UT99 still outnumbers afaik), Epic should consider doing some kind of UT Live out of this.
Actually, that would be the kind of project they could hand to a team of beginners, just like we do the "summer internships" here at work where people have roughly 2 months to do a mini-project (to which I always end up being one of the coordinators of it), they could do something similar but give about 4 or 5 months to them.

They could even make a free to play out of UT to enter the free to play scene themselves (which is the future btw, paid games have already an expire date set by the way things are heading to). But of course, their main business is unreal engine itself, not games. What can we say, they did a hell of an engine, there's no denying about it.
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

It is definitely a good deal for people who (still for some odd reasons) do not have these games.
I personally always prefer physical media and if possible, avoid purchases that are tied to one specific account. That includes Steam.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Feralidragon wrote:

The pack is blocked in some countries, like Russia and Germany.
That's the reason... and the broken editor as well.
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

there are alot of games built on the UnrealEngines;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Un ... gine_games

and yes it is a major income source no doubt.

Bring all the Physics / Graphics .. and Sound to UT99.. or Rather UT99 to the newer engine and perhaps more people from the OldSchool will become interested in the Newer Engines capabilities. And buy licences and everyone WIN's :) Hell even I'd jump in .. :D.. *laughs at some of the 'HELL NO!' faces being pulled..*

:idea: Don't Fix the broken Engine per-se but rather allow the game to be ported to the newer engine instead. :idea:

:highfive:

@Paper .. Good Old Games sometimes has Specials as well.

as for broken editors and such.. The version from Gamefront works fine.

actually all you need to be aware of .. is that any patch (post) 436 breaks editor.. so you could have duplicate installs for both 436 and 451.. copy / paste the installation folder.. and patch one , but not the other.. iirc.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Wises wrote: @Paper .. Good Old Games sometimes has Specials as well.

as for broken editors and such.. The version from Gamefront works fine.

actually all you need to be aware of .. is that any patch (post) 436 breaks editor.. so you could have duplicate installs for both 436 and 451.. copy / paste the installation folder.. and patch one , but not the other.. iirc.
No I mean you can't use the UEd properly in a steam version of UT. You can only play the game.
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

papercoffee wrote: No I mean you can't use the UEd properly in a steam version of UT. You can only play the game.
Wow, I wasn't aware of that, what exactly is the problem? Is UnrealEd just omitted or something else is messed up?
Old UT Veteran
Skilled

Post by Old UT Veteran »

Cronoloop wrote:Guys just let me ask a question, maybe it's related.
Does EPIC see how much UT2k3, 2k4 and 3 failed so hard? And does EPIC see how many players are still online on the servers playing this? Without counting the ones playing it offline (I know IRL lots of guys who play with bots or LAN)? Don't talking about the people modding and mapping for it...

I mean, do they know they created a masterpiece? And why they don't support it anymore?
Well, don't say that ut2k4 or ut2k3 sucked. They were both great games, but not as amazing as ut99. I personally think that ut3 didn't fit in with the original hyper active adrenaline mood that the previous ones offered. Sluggish and unattractive gaming environment. All games were great.... but nothing like the original, especially ut3.

I wish that EPIC would consider still looking back at the original UT99. I'm not exactly sure but I heard that even Valve recently released an update for the old CS 1.6
This at least still shows people that they somewhat care about the game.
Creavion wrote:Arena shooters are mostly gone. Today Call of Duty and similar games are considered/the big hits...
It went from high-tech futuristic space weaponry to casual real weapons. People these days have a taste for games that provide a 'realistic' experience. :wth:

Epic really needs to regain their legacy. I haven't seen anything impressive coming from them lately besides GoW.