Next Contest Or Spring/Summer MapPack?

Discussions about UT99
Torax
Adept
Personal rank: Master of Coop

Re: Next Contest Or Spring/Summer MapPack?

Post by Torax »

Creavion wrote:
Torax wrote:aaahhh... why i'm not a mapper :sad2:
that may be interesting. Not for prize but for UT
Well, level design for UT is really simple, compared with other level/map editors.
You don`t have to learn about an external 3D model application (to import content) and most are already satisfied with the default texture content.
You don`t need any knowledge about materials and their constituent parts (normal, bump, displacement, opacity...).
The learning curve is very low, however you will also be limited rather quick with the various engine limitations.
Several years ago even within the prime time of UT2004 UT1 was rather outstanding, but these days of course you can not do anything serious with the engine anymore.
If you want to learn about level design for UT keep in mind, most of the thingy you`ll learn lead directly into dead ends, since modern engines demand other - already mentioned skills and knowledge.
Thanks for some countenance)
But i really n00bish in that. Most of tries i did failed into depths of nothingness, from time i made them in Unreal 1)
I gave up and find myself in UScript better than in mapping. I don't think i'll create not even the 1st place map - map that will be interesting for somebody.
The best way i can go - support mappers by searching and creating textures, as i'm not bad in Photoshop and good using Corel Draw.

PS. Only if i have enough time for this.
Unreal. Alter your reality..forever...
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

I misunderstood your post you would not understand how it works with level design for UT.
I see, then you are more the programmer than a designer. That is obviously ok as well.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Torax
Adept
Personal rank: Master of Coop

Post by Torax »

Creavion wrote:I misunderstood your post you would not understand how it works with level design for UT.
I see, then you are more the programmer than a designer. That is obviously ok as well.
Sorry for sometimes bad English)
Unreal. Alter your reality..forever...
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I agree.
Writing all these long posts everywhere, takes up so much time I never get to play.
Problem is I always try to add context and examples. This pads things out a lot, but I find if I don't, I am often misunderstood and have to re-write it with examples and context anyway :noidea

I tend to flow with what is on my mind at the time, or I often don't post anything.
Ironically I hate writing, and I am slow at it (as anyone I have talked to via IM will testify).
I am aware many non-English speaking members and visitors will struggle without a translator.

@Creavion
Regarding the pack, yes it is likely some people will not behave with respect, but it was not long after Feel-Napali that I found someone had ripped it to produce a disto with the plants (and no documentation). I made them take it down and replace with your distro.
You may has well have released a proper distro with docs, as people are keen on ripping your work anyway.
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

Just so you know - one of these has just failed.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

C'mon, why always with the negative posts, lets stay positive for a few secs...

Regarding the FoT6 fail, sure it failed because most of those so called "super-mappers" have left or vanished or moved on to UT2k4/3/UDK/other engine or the news of the pack didn't quite reach 'em (I saw Derdak2rot at the USP forums a few weeks ago, did the news get to him?), but Swanky you was so secretive with that pack and at first I didn't knew if you got enough mappers or not :???:. Announcements that don't get updated for a while WiLL fail. The XMAS pack for example didn't fail because even though we had struglle with the reviewers we weren't silent about it.

OK enough of me rubbing it in, let's return to this one...
I want a contest and I want one NOW :D! Hell it could be a skinning contest for all I care (hmm... Not a bad idea I think)

P.S. Damn you Flay, your long-post disease is contaigeos :tongue:
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Swanky wrote:Just so you know - one of these has just failed.
It's okay, don`t try too hard. There will always be some people like that, no matter what. Even with one single mapper remaining they will come with that BS.
Regarding the FoT6 fail, sure it failed because most of those so called "super-mappers"
I sense some "super-bullshit". Please put that kind of sarcasm aside. Nobody of them/us called theirself like that at any point.
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

:oops: I'm bad with words, I ment guys like Hourences, cooloola, MisterRioes and the like who really knew how to make a nice map back then...

EDIT: And I'm sorry if I sounded rude, it's just a rough day for me today and with exams in head I don't always look what I type.
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

Well I do hope you think about the things you want to say in a forum next time... the last two posts of yours are pretty dumb. Yes my day was rough as well but I'm trying to be accurate with my words. I've had the honor of working with cooloola and MrRioes on several occasions during the making of the FoT mappack series since 2005 (which I've lead in all but one cases by the way). So I think I do know a thing or two about leading a project, and the reason this one failed was not being secretive but something else that probably does not belong into public discussions.
Crev, must be nice that all these lower lifeforms are seeing us as deities, right? /cynic sarcasm off
Last edited by Swanky on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Swanky wrote: Crev, must be nice that all these lower lifeforms are seeing us as deities, right? /zynic sarcasm off
Yep, nothing to do here anymore. I think we are destined for greatness. :mrgreen:
About to be non-active
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Deities who entitle themselves as deity... :ironic: