Visible Amp error!!

Discussions about UT99
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Visible Amp error!!

Post by papercoffee »

JackGriffin wrote:1. Get your disk and create an installation somewhere other than what you have now.
2. Once you do that make a copy of your ut.ini and user.ini from the system folder of your old installation and put those somewhere safe.
3. Copy everything from your new install to your old one overwriting everything. Be sure you are replacing the old files and not skipping them.
4. Delete the new install, you are done with it.
5. Fire up UT once, select your render engine, then close it down.
6. Copy the settings from your old ut.ini and user.ini (from the copy you stashed away) to the new ones that are in system folder now.
7. Profit from getting a fresh install without losing any of your stuff.

Do *not* just copy your ini's from the old install back into system. I suspect there is more to the way the ini file is parsed than anyone knows, as I have seen them cause problems when I hand-checked every single value and it was fine. Several times I've seen completely clean ini's get deleted, a new one generated, and it cleared up the problems the person was having. Just use the old one as a guide to editing the new one but don't copy/paste. Also don't just blindly copy every setting. If you see something you don't recognize or understand take a moment and post here or google it. Take every chance to keep ini files as short as possible.
Ah ok ... I'll do it.

well, I plan to reinstall my Windows anyway ...I can combine this steps.

Thanks

EDIT----------------------------------------------------------------
I only want to keep my customized bots and everything I did install ...mods and mutators.
How can I do this without copy and past the stuff.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Possibly you can capture/export your current bots with "Jafos bot editor" or using "Marginally Enhanced UT"
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

The user.ini is not nearly as important as the ut.ini in how the game operates. Maybe try just copying both ini's into the refreshed install and see what happens. It's not really the 'right' way to do it though (but it might do for you in this instance).
So long, and thanks for all the fish