The real reason the Titanic sunk!

Do you search a certain mutator, mod, skin, map, everything else?
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: The real reason the Titanic sunk!

Post by JackGriffin »

Yeah, they have a history of doing that.

You might chat Hitman, I did a revision of the map for him that removed some of the BS packages that were loading like there was an entire package for only two seats in the captain's room (removed those). I also fixed odds and ends stuff like doors that didn't work and made it so you could watch the barrage of deemers safely from the bridge. IIRC I fixed the end too by adding a switch, but it's been a while. I probably still have it here somewhere if he doesn't.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:I don't know if he made it himself or ripped it from another game. Amazing that all the textures were default and he didnt need anything more, if it were taken from another game he could've replaced those in the editor fairly easy to avoid the extra dependencies thoguh right?. If he did make this, then the true author is SirBlurko and they should stop any more references to Wizzaz especially if they're generically using this name for all their stolen work. Seems like they're trying to get away with something, even author and source unknown would satisfy me when they defame others work but in this case SirBlurko. He did make several good maps from nothing, Really, im positive that considering all factors if they were put to a judge would confirm it in favor of what im saying off all the evidence. And if that's the case they should feel some shame for doing this

Jack I could very well have someone remove the 30mb of crap, but I'm going to let it be. This SUCKS, that UT has come to this
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I don't know who the original maker was of the map but the MH converter person messed up entire parts. There are rooms you couldn't get into, doors that didn't work, trigger errors. I mainly cleaned it up so I could watch the monsters and deemers falling from the sky. I'm going to go look now and see if I can find it. If I can I'll attach it here.

Add:
This post by UTPe-
UTPe wrote:
Have you tried MH-LastVoyage ? :)
I just found this: http://medor.no-ip.org/index.php?dir=Ma ... Alpha4.zip
is my fixed up version. No sense in reposting it since medor already has it mirrored. This one has all the changes and I tested it all out online.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:It's good that it's not lost forever, but priding themselves on unique content when it's stolen work with no fucks given about crediting the actual author disturbs me. Medor takes every link he finds, is there really a point in keeping an alpha beta or a version of something that is known to have bugs? Most cases you can delete these files really and I could name a fair few. This talk is going to annoy people if I was the one in charge of deleting from a huge depository. Medor, why pass up the chance do actually clean up such files that nobody else will, take the leap son, make some decisions you won't regret. That's my thoughts anyway
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

A proper repository is something I had hoped Dane was going to do but it doesn't appear to be so. This is something that would have been a major good for the community but no one has really decided to do correctly. dU's MH maps downloads section is pretty close because when you go around vacuuming up everything like medor you just have this mess that no one wants to wade through and no one can make sense of.

Ideally this would require several major leaders input. People like metalfist for the SLV content, Vatcilli for MH, EvilGrins for models and skins, etc. Each to their own area of interest and they can tell you the good stuff and the best versions of everything. Then you take that prime material and host it, with each file being worthy of bandwidth. That would bring people to your site because it's about quality not quantity. I don't want to wade through 15GB of crap to find the 3GB of good sniper maps or test 25 rifles to find the best Zark. Make the call for your downloaders and host only the best ones and save them the research time. Then present your files with pictures and descriptions and make it easy to navigate.

Ahh, I'm dreaming...
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:and here's my dream ( dont expect too much)

as far as depositories go, medor has many files. Great. Missing some, no big deal. And shhh medor you didn't hear that. But mostly unsorted or badly sorted, plenty of irrelevant crap! And terrible attempts at descriptions. I honestly think he doesn't understand what many of the files are he puts there and attempts a description that is not accurate but I don't go there a lot and only seen it a couple times for myself

You are right all of those people would be really good for an actual search and description dream of yours. So recently I've found out a lot of the monster hunt scene have "borrowed" maps from other gametypes. Then built a site around what they market as FILES UNIQUE TO OUR SERVERS AND SITES. This is terrible, you don't edit a 38mb map (this before dependencies) to add a gun somewhere, save it and put it in a depository like this

My dream would include a site (depo) like that as well, however with the amazingness of uz compression, lack of a decent redirect, and a chance to fix something that will be kept up-to-date so they can delete their redirect at any time and know that the one they re-download would be better than what they originally had

Obviously there is going to be files that do require descriptions, that aren't redirect files. Someone down the line is going to need to take an existing mass of files like this and come up with ways to sort them. Anything serverside (un-redirected) or clientside (offline), plus all the readmes, int files, ini files. I don't think all this could belongs in a wiki

I'll check this over for gramatical and spelling errors later

Sorry for Hijack EvilGrins
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

billybill wrote: Sorry for Hijack EvilGrins
If OP wants this topic to be split up, can I arrange it.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote:
billybill wrote: Sorry for Hijack EvilGrins
If OP wants this topic to be split up, can I arrange it.
Nah, don't bug me none.

I accept that chats can spawn somewhat unrelated chats... and this forum has enough individual threads on the same topic of map theft. Let's just leave this one in here.

Edit--------------- by papercoffee
It's missing a file: TO-Neuro2.

Which isn't surprising as that .zip only has the map in it and nothing else.

Oops! Accidental double-post... and I can't delete this one!!

Actually, no.. scratch that. It's missing a bunch of files!
What numbnut zipped this and only put the map in there?!?

Argh!
Turns out I can't play the map. The version of oldskool I have, which I'm not willing to ever replace as there's something in mine that's not in all of the updated versions, isn't compatible with this map.

Oh well...
Last edited by EvilGrins on Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I send you my bill the next days... :wink:
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I never created a zip file for this. I uploaded the map to Hitty so I have no idea who released it.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

JackGriffin wrote:I never created a zip file for this. I uploaded the map to Hitty so I have no idea who released it.
2 different links for this map on the first page of this thread.

Technically different maps, version 1 & 4.

4 is just the map, none of the support files.
-=SoP=-axewound
Average

Post by -=SoP=-axewound »

Sorry EvilGrins, topic hijack, perhaps a split is in order, apologies in advance...

I've seen this come up over the years more than once... repository 'A' has all the files I need for my server but I've no idea which one to use. There are 2 or more versions of a particular file or package all uploaded on the same date, surely there was a naming/versioning convention in place but who would know what the developer/artist was thinking (or not) at the time.

The directory software used currently (autoindex) only reflects the date the file was uploaded. Formal versioning, credits and official documentation does not exist, not to mention outright bastardizing of a particular resource as this topic clearly exposes. Kudos to Medor, and skillz before him for gathering and keeping a repository of these files over the years. Without this vacuuming (jackgriffin reference :)) we would not have these files at all, they'd be lost forever to error 404 unrecoverable even for the wayback machine/internet archive.

As the UT community thins out perhaps it's time to catalogue these files and actually document some of these resources. Human intervention and expertise is surely required to ensure the resources are usable for years to come.

I am thinking about an actual content management system, with people who would take a particular resource under their wing and catalogue it's history, including intended use, installation, issues and support. An adopt a mod/mutator/map sheltering sort of thing.

I'd be willing to provide resources for this if other's are interested, otherwise I'll dump the vacuum bag into a huge-ass external drive and wait for the coffin to finally be covered with dirt, babbling to my grandkids about the greatest game that ever was.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

-=SoP=-axewound wrote:Sorry EvilGrins, topic hijack, perhaps a split is in order, apologies in advance...
Not much a deviation, you're kinda close to my point.

I have the original olskool released by usaar33 just a little bit before he disappeared to parts unknown. Like me, he was obsessed with Skaarj. The original oldskool has the SKtrooper model in it that I learned to skin off of and my favorite model to date.

When a newer version of oldskool was released they changed some things and the removed the SKtrooper from it. Now, there is a separate Unreal1 models setup that has it but there's a flaw in it. The SKtrooper freezes up, randomly, an the only thing that unfreezes it is to kill it...

...which isn't much of a challenge, as I largely use this model on my bots.

This is the primary reason I'm sticking with the original oldskool. It sometimes means I can't login to certain servers but I suppose when I eventually get around to hosting games again the shoe will be on the other foot.
Vengeance shall be mine!
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:so you're telling me these map thieves can't even release it properly before they put it on their sites and servers. amateurs loool. TO is tactical ops so you will need a few hundred megs on that. the real titanic map is seriously like 3mb, I didn't know it had broken doors or if that is only for monsters. I will probably never see the original map again unfortunetly :)\( I also accused MH mappers in general as being untrusted map theives and this site proves it. Can you imagine a mH map turned ctf or DM, or a DM or CTF map stealing a mh map. looll

Anyway I should still have all of his CTF4 maps, there is one more DM match which is a remake (or game converted) Italy from counterstrike.

CTF-titanicsiege (broken file, says 2,10KB) Uncompressed 6.227kb unplayable
CTF-Italy (broken file, says 966kb packed)
dependencies:
italy(2).utx (broken file, says 549kb packed)
Italyneu.utx (broken file, says 546KB packed)
ITAT3X.utx (broken file, says 246kb packed)
TAconeytex.utx (broken file, says 21kb packed)

Anyone know where I can get tools to convert such maps to UT
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Truth, I mostly was after that map for the skeletal monster... which is a converted model to monster thing.

Sadly, even after downloading a map with all the files I still can't figure which is that monster as I can't play the map and it won't open in UnrealEd.