W.I.P - DM-FakArena (v0.960) - Beta release

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Radi
Adept

Re: W.I.P - DM-FakArena (v.0.82)

Post by Radi »

That dropbox are the a most shitty service I used! Linked images in forum IMG tags do not display after one day, links expired faster than lightspeed.. idiots even tell to GEx that he do not belong here... yeah, everyone must be registered to download a single file ?, and in future they will say: 'oh toooooo many users we have!'. -.- (and 90% of them registered just to see something ONCE). idiots, really idiots. (children in elementaly school first class can make a better service with better solutons :p)
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, Dropbox sucks if you're trying to use as a hosting service.
For example, when I first released my mod, I added an alternate link (not the main one) pointed to a public folder in my Dropbox, it didn't last 2 days before they notified me they had suspended the folder since it surpassed their daily 20Gb traffic limit (~80Mb for each download).

However, as a backup manager, you only have 2Gb but it's actually quite awesome. Everytime I work in my mod I backup my changes there as well, and so far so good.
Mediafire offers more (50Gb) and has a good level of service and none of Dropbox limitations, but it feels like it's easily too "public" while Dropbox looks more privacy-friendly (although you cannot expect full project privacy in any cloud at all).
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Feralidragon wrote: Mediafire offers more (50Gb) and has a good level of service and none of Dropbox limitations, but it feels like it's easily too "public" while Dropbox looks more privacy-friendly (although you cannot expect full project privacy in any cloud at all).
You can password protect your files in Mediafire ...only the guy with the PW can download it.
For me the pest online service for this kind of stuff
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

I looked in to Mediafire site, what they offer and found that they have app for android . I have old android (2.1 now) and their app do not work with my phone:)
what about 4share ? it is easy to download from theit site ? Something tells me that 4Share need registering, and without account they do not allow to download files.. hmmm.
anyway. there is link. uploaded from 4share app:
http://www.4shared.com/zip/tYAgMein/DM- ... v082_.html
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

I am unable to DL the map, yet I use DropBox all the time without fail, perhaps you should avoid embedding such big content and simply tell the testers to install whatever is needed to make the map run (or simply place the required files without INT install).
I tremendously dislike this way of doing things with content that can be loaded from it's original sources (excepting code, code is small).

Back to the point, there's a Server running the latest SiegeIV and DM + Native FerBotz + LC_0002 and your map can be featured for beta testing online if you wish to do so (provided the content isn't embedded).
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

I could download via Dropbox (but it wasn't found..)
4shared.com Didn't want to be nice because they want you to register in order to download or use FB/Twitter/etc. and wait a little bit.
I usually recommend mediafire.com because peeps don't have to register or wait much.

Got the file from 4shared anyway and had to do some cleanup lol. Higor, I got it now. Gonna put it on the server. :)
(Recent download: v0.82)

Edit:
I do notice that the map do use the following:
NWCoreV3.u and noxxpack.utx (luckily I have those files.)
Edit:
Server log: http://www.r0t.co.uk/paste/p/zMaupi50.html
Client log: http://www.r0t.co.uk/paste/p/kiMO9C37.html
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

Thanks ! :) I see.. something wrong with lightsaber. uuhh noooo:(
What about noxxpack.utx.. I thought it is a stock UT GOTY file. anyway many warnings there.. but map is playable I think ? :) thanks for jumping in guys again anyway :)
@Higor, what big content do you mention earlier :) ? about NWnuclear explosion ? . it is only 1mb in size.. this is much :) ? (map now is 13mb. and earlier 32mb but I reduced some actors to dust)

this is bad that skwNuke is broken in UT :( blast is huge and there a great kickback effect (players in safe areas from explosion do not take damage but blast force still make them fly a little, like punched by Titan :p), and skwNuke is small in filesize. Maybe autor of it is still active?, I dont know for now... : /
So what i need to change in FakArena in order to be better prepared for online betatesting ? Of course I allow putting that map somewhere, this way maybe I get more reports and thoughts so my next map must be better :) for now I do not update link, I'll wait for replies. Thanks for everything guys.
Anyway thanks
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

If noxxpack.utx is a default UT99 stock, ignore me b/c I was just being noobish for not remembering the stock files. lol.

Get those accessed nones checked out and see what can be fixed, I'm not too sure about these b/c I'm not a mapper. Someone should help you with these shortly.

Not sure why I get lag (or frame rate drops) in the mid area, even tho someone could help you with your map settings. Other than that, everything seem to looks pretty good so far.
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

hmmm that main area of map cause framedrops on my side too, even in first versions where there a really a few brushes. I assume that I must rework that area, turn details to meshes or something, also main area is a one big brush (need repair as I found some HOMS in it)
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

It's been a month since the last update, any news :?:
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

Progress is slower than last time due to new single player map I create. Thanks for bump, Im opening UED right now and start doing things on that map :) FakArena is running much much smoother even on my pc . . :( and sadly, still not find any good replacement for explosion.. Ok . Last rooms should be ready in few days and then I start working on details .
Ps: I use a Nali nuclear explosion now, but this way map become unplayable without Nali Weapons 3 package, I dont know how to do. .
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

Ok. map is almost ready for putting in here for more testing, still incomplete but heavily reworked.
For now, this map DO NOT open without Nali Weapons 3 mod, what do you guys think about that? ..
UT99.org

Re: W.I.P - DM-FakArena (v.0.8)

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:
GEx wrote:D'oh!! Download link expired :(
Have it http://medor.no-ip.org/index.php?search ... archMode=f
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

hey medor ;p you already provided a link earlier ;p
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:Yes but the DM-FakArena(v0.8 ).zip only .... not the 82 for a faith that is not me mistaken :loool: