The DataBase (OR TDB): What's that?

Discussions about UT99
{S.o.W}DeathMask
Skilled

The DataBase (OR TDB): What's that?

Post by {S.o.W}DeathMask »

Ladies and gentlemen,

Many time I was asked the same question about something that's ALWAYS in my lips: The famous TDB.

Question is: "What's TDB?".

TDB stand for "The DataBase" and it's nothing more than a 110GB Hard disk full with Unreal series stuff (Unreal, UT99, UT2003, Unreal 2, UT2004 and UT3-coming soon) that I gathered with my clan mates.
It mostly contains unfinished stuff, or in beta testing, but all this content has been hidden from the community for far too long, and I'm willing to share it with you all here.
TDB was also a private chat for my SonsOfWar, and my computer was the host, as I was the holder of the physical TDB, but all this went offline two years ago.

In few words, WHAT does TDB contain?
It contains pretty rare files (some mroe, some less) and most common ones too, but also (and here's the most important) files ONLY I have, such as:
-Custom made unpublished skins;
-Custom made unpublished maps;
-Custom made unpublished songs;
-Custom made unfinished skins;
-Custom made unfinished maps;
-Custom made unfinished models;
-Various versions of the Unreal series games such as UT Confidential beta, Botpack 220, UTX-Build (Unreal Championship Alpha), Unreal Tournament 2 (Yes, Unreal Tournament TWO) beta etc.
-Various projects just barely started.
But that's just a little part of what does TDB has.

"Dear DeathMask SonsOfWar, why the hell did you wait 13 years to publish unpublished stuff?" (I was actually asked this question)
Mostly because the majority isn't complete yet, or presents some imperfections. I like to publish my files in as most good conditions as possible (Skins, models, maps, songs, mods etc.), and of all the files I made, I published something like the 2%, and the whole thing is hard to find around.

"What do you hope to accomplish with the publication of TDB?"
Another question I was asked.
Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I don't aim to the fame, I don't aim to the glory. All I want to do is to share my files with the world, else I'd have had no reason in making them.

Some might ask: Why here?
I was invited here from Hook, and I know he's a good guy so I accepted. I also know this place is pretty active and populated, so I guess this is a good start to make TDB known.

When will you start posting some files? (Another question I might be asked)
Soon. I will start publishing stuff soon. I will start with finished projects, and I'll ask for help from the community for the unfinished ones. If I'll publish it here? Yes, if there's the chance. Otherwise, I'll publish them elsewhere and C/P the link here. In other words, when I'll publish stuff, you'll know it.

I think that's all I have to say. I hope you'll enjoy using the files from TDB as well as I enjoyed building it with my clan mates.
{S.o.W}DeathMask, 9 times CWC UT2003, 1 time EMKTC.

ShaiHulud
Adept

Re: The DataBase (OR TDB): What's that?

Post by ShaiHulud »

Sounds interesting! Incidentally, I think I played DM with you a few months back on the Starz UT Demo server - when I left you suggested I look you up on YouTube, and I did.
...Or I may be mistaking you for one of your clan mates, but the name sounds familiar!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

interesting ...another database with UT stuff. :tu:
But keep in mind, only UT1 related stuff ...everything else from other UT successors goes into the Off-Topic section.
Darkelarious
Skilled
Personal rank: 333networks admin

Post by Darkelarious »

Hi {S.o.W}DeathMask,

Nice to see that you found your place here as well, within 24 hours after I did (via). This is a nice place to reach the UT(99) community more effectively, rather than (with respect to) all independent and seperate (clan) forums.

You and I know each other since the beginning of {S.o.W}, so it should not come as a surprise to you that I come with the following, more technical questions.
{S.o.W}DeathMask wrote:Question is: "What's TDB?"
I think that I speak for almost everybody if I say: "thanks for sharing everything with us. We are looking forward to your collection."

But how do you intend to share all of this? Will it be a public ftp server or a website? Will it be something that requires a login and 38 seconds waiting or a premium account? Do we download the entire file all-at-once, or can we browse TDB and read the well-documented descriptions before we actually download something? What can we expect? Do you already have ideas about the setup and interface?
{S.o.W}DeathMask wrote:In few words, WHAT does TDB contain?
Will TDB be a collection of {S.o.W}-material only? Or are you seeking to create a Mother Of All UT Databases? Will it contain everything that was made for UT(99) since the dawn of time?
{S.o.W}DeathMask wrote:"Dear DeathMask SonsOfWar, why the hell did you wait 13 years to publish unpublished stuff?"
In combination with my first question, I can imagine that it takes quite a while to set things up. I guess that you start with some sort of framework and slowly add material. Do you have any way of estimating when this thing will start?
{S.o.W}DeathMask wrote:All I want to do is to share my files with the world, else I'd have had no reason in making them.
This isn't actually a question, I just want to compliment you on your attitude. Sharing is caring!

Of course, for everyone reading here too, {S.o.W}DeathMask knows that I am not asking these questions so publicly if I have an idea about it. I have been struggeling with the same problem to have a collection of known and unknown files. I have a semi-public ftp server (ftp://333networks.com, anonymous read access, slow as hell) that contains a lot of unsorted mutators and materials for (mostly) UTDemo. Since I run http://333networks.com and a MasterServer for it (more here and here), I may have a way for you to provide the space (up to 11 TB at the moment) and the interface (a to-be-written download section on the website) to publish everything.

The main problem I have with my collection, is how do you sort all of these files? Different people have a different organizing system, how are we going to sort everything out and store it in a clear and consistent way? How do we present it to the user, and if this is going to be a website, what information do we provide on the description page? If we are going to do this, then we might as well do it the best way possible. Then: who is going to do this? (sou)Nemisis and I tried this thing once, we spent half a year, and only worked our way through a fraction of the collection I have. {S.o.W}DeathMask presented only 2%, and I don't think that it was to keep the rest a secret, but simply lack of resources. For everybody who reads this thread, can we count on your help too?

If we can set up a successful system and organisation of everything, then perhaps others may surrender their material to us too. The last skin on SkinCity was added in 2010, other clans/forums have files floating around without knowing. Who knows how long others will continue to host this material? We have the opportunity here to make this thing THE DataBase!
--Darkelarious
Masterserver | Discord Channel
Oh, and we still are ready to receive donations. The url works, right? It doesn't seem to be doing anything...
{S.o.W}DeathMask
Skilled

ShaiHulud wrote:Sounds interesting! Incidentally, I think I played DM with you a few months back on the Starz UT Demo server - when I left you suggested I look you up on YouTube, and I did.
...Or I may be mistaking you for one of your clan mates, but the name sounds familiar!
Heh, Shai!. No, you're not mistaken. That's me, THAT DeathMask!
Glad to see you again man! We should play sometimes!

Darkelarious wrote:How do you intend to share all of this? Will it be a public ftp server or a website? Will it be something that requires a login and 38 seconds waiting or a premium account? Do we download the entire file all-at-once, or can we browse TDB and read the well-documented descriptions before we actually download something? What can we expect? Do you already have ideas about the setup and interface?
Nice one. Right now, I'm posting everything I guess it's complete on the boards I'm signed into. When/if I'll have my own space, I'll go for the third option you mentioned (browsing TDB and read the well-documented descriptions, then you download what you want.)
Darkelarious wrote:Will TDB be a collection of {S.o.W}-material only? Or are you seeking to create a Mother Of All UT Databases? Will it contain everything that was made for UT(99) since the dawn of time?
TDB contains, in detail, everything related to any Unreal Series game (released or not) that is pretty rare to find, or unique pieces (such as, as you rightfully mentioned, ex-{S.o.W}-related material, like clan skins, clan maps etc. as well...or even stuff personally made by me through the years, that I never released, such as all the previous topics I opened at this forum.)
Darkelarious wrote:In combination with my first question, I can imagine that it takes quite a while to set things up. I guess that you start with some sort of framework and slowly add material. Do you have any way of estimating when this thing will start?
As well as I like to know as most as possible (as well as you do - yeah, I may be just a kid compared to you - speaking about UT knowledge -, but I think I know you, at least by a little part), I have no idea of when will the whole TDB released. As of now, though, I'll spread the lightest files through the boards, and it seems it's working quite well. Linking myself to my first answer to your questions, if and (if so) when I can have enough resources to run TDB as a server or a database for downloads, I think I'm gonna take a couple of weeks to take its content available (in the first place), then I'm dedicating myself into adjusting the files, e.g. dividing into "Complete" and "Uncomplete" and hoping for the help of this great community I might erase the "Uncomplete" section and move it to the rest, available for the download (but this process might take months, if not years). Rome wasn't built in one day, and TDB will be no exception.
Darkelarious wrote:I just want to compliment you on your attitude. Sharing is caring!
Thank you. Having compliments from an important UTCommunity member is an honor. Especially if I've interacted with such member for a long time.
Darkelarious wrote:I may have a way for you to provide the space (up to 11 TB at the moment) and the interface (a to-be-written download section on the website) to publish everything.
That'd be great.
Darkelarious wrote:The main problem I have with my collection, is how do you sort all of these files? Different people have a different organizing system, how are we going to sort everything out and store it in a clear and consistent way? How do we present it to the user, and if this is going to be a website, what information do we provide on the description page?
My intentions are to sort every single content like a tree: We can divide everything per game (e.g. TDB/Finished/UT2003/Tools & Utilities/UT2K3KeyChanger.exe or TDB/Unfinished/DeathMask's products/Models & Skins/MaleCommandoDemo.u or TDB/Usable Resources/Models/PSK-PSA Models/SonsOfWarFinalBeta/DeathMask.psk)
Then, every file might have a small description, a download link and some additional info (e.g. {S.o.W}DeathMask wants to download UT99 map CTF-ChainW00T located in TDB/Finished/DeathMask's products/UT99/Maps/CTF-ChainW00T.zip, and goes to the file page, which shows CTF-ChainW00T's information such as a brief description - Number of recommended players, type of environment etc. -, some screenshots, a download link and eventually -this applied to unfinished stuff- a little list of suggested programs downloaders could use to open them).

As of the last part of the question (if this is going to be a website, what information do we provide on the description page?), I think everything mentioned above is sufficient, but I'd like to add one thing about the "Website" part. If it's going to be a website, I think a description is far more than worth showing. The introduction to this topic should go fine, I guess.

Darkelarious wrote:If we are going to do this, then we might as well do it the best way possible. Then: who is going to do this? (sou)Nemisis and I tried this thing once, we spent half a year, and only worked our way through a fraction of the collection I have. {S.o.W}DeathMask presented only 2%, and I don't think that it was to keep the rest a secret, but simply lack of resources.
That's a very good point, but if the UT99 Community managed to keep alive an almost 15-year-old game AND to keep it still much popular, nothing is impossible. I trust in every single person in the whole Community (and also UT200X/UT3 communities as well) to help me doing this. I asked for some help to my clan mates as well (the ones who aren't retired, at least) and I'm receiving additional files for TDB made by them. What I need, though, is a space where to store all of it, because THAT is the biggest deal in my opinion. About sorting etc. I think I know what to do, but I think I'm going to need help in HOW to do it, as I never ran a storage website or an online database (even if TDB has been online for a while, but just as some sort of Teamspeak server-alike for UT2003 clanwars for my clan mates)

Darkelarious wrote:If we can set up a successful system and organisation of everything, then perhaps others may surrender their material to us too. The last skin on SkinCity was added in 2010, other clans/forums have files floating around without knowing. Who knows how long others will continue to host this material? We have the opportunity here to make this thing THE DataBase!
Forgive me if I got it wrong, but I assume that you mean this opportunity is through my TDB? If so, I'm so honored to be such opportunity. To have one unified and more-lasting UT99 (and not only) Community.
As of last SkinCity skins, one of them was "Metallian" for UT2003, made by me. That was a product of TDB. I was already trying to release parts of TDB back then. And far before too (surely Darkelarious you will remember the skins I added to Fiorella's server and on MOD PLANET - Reloaded).

I obtained much into my carreer as a player (UT2003 - many know what I'm talking about), but what I truly seek is to prevent other Unreal series' Comunities from falling and fading as long as possible, as it happened for UT2003. But I'm only a young boy, and I can't do all of it alone. I need your help. Of everyone. For TDB, and for Unreal series.

{S.o.W}DeathMask
Skilled

TDB is BACK!!!

Darkelarious
Skilled
Personal rank: 333networks admin

Post by Darkelarious »

papercoffee wrote:interesting ...another database with UT stuff. :tu:
That reminds me of https://xkcd.com/927/

But it is true. The problem is that many overlap, many miss a lot, and many do not know of each other's existence. Whether this one is different, we will not know for another few months, at least it is a start for all of the files contained in TDB. From that point on, it is "just" a matter of collecting as much as we can, and hope that people help adding and organizing material.

We will see.
--Darkelarious
Masterserver | Discord Channel
Oh, and we still are ready to receive donations. The url works, right? It doesn't seem to be doing anything...
{S.o.W}DeathMask
Skilled

Darkelarious wrote:
papercoffee wrote:interesting ...another database with UT stuff. :tu:
That reminds me of https://xkcd.com/927/

But it is true. The problem is that many overlap, many miss a lot, and many do not know of each other's existence. Whether this one is different, we will not know for another few months, at least it is a start for all of the files contained in TDB. From that point on, it is "just" a matter of collecting as much as we can, and hope that people help adding and organizing material.

We will see.
Indeed.
But don't forget, main priority consists into sharing TDB with the rest of the world.
IF one day this will become the only base for Unreal series, well, That'd be fantastic.